Home Forums General Discussion Elderberry Syrup

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lorene
    Participant

Does anyone know anything about taking elderberry syrup or drinking elderberry wine? I live in Texas and the pollen count has been especially high these past few weeks. My allergies are horrible, however, after searching the web, I found that elderberry is great for cough, sinus, flu etc. I bought both the wine and syrup which are both delicious, however, I read that people who have RA should not take it. I don’t understand. Elderberry boosts the immune system.

I have been drinking a glass of wine at night and taking the syrup a couple of times a day. It is helping. Please give me your thoughts on this.

Maz
    Keymaster

@lorene wrote:

Does anyone know anything about taking elderberry syrup or drinking elderberry wine? I live in Texas and the pollen count has been especially high these past few weeks. My allergies are horrible, however, after searching the web, I found that elderberry is great for cough, sinus, flu etc. I bought both the wine and syrup which are both delicious, however, I read that people who have RA should not take it. I don’t understand. Elderberry boosts the immune system.

I have been drinking a glass of wine at night and taking the syrup a couple of times a day. It is helping. Please give me your thoughts on this.

Hi Lorene,

If you find it’s helping, then there should be no issue for you to worry about.

I was reading parts of the Henry Scammell book last night and some of Dr. Brown’s remarks about the rheumatic and hypersensitivity. He comments that rheumatics with environmental allergies often find that these disappear with AP as the disease gradually goes into remission. The rationale behind this is that rheumatic tissues are already dealing with “bacterial allergy”…and allergy to bacterial endotoxins. So, once the pathogen load begins to be lowered, so does the hypersensitivity to anything to which the person is allergic – pollen, dust, animal fur, etc.

My best guess is that the warnings for RAers to stay away from Elderberry syrup are for those who are still in a hypersensitive state, because anything that stimulates immune function may irritate an already over-stimulated immune system and cause more of a reaction. It’s a bit like taking too much antibiotic when there is already a lot of inflammation, causing more die-off and, thus, more of a herx (allergic reaction to bacterial endotoxins).

Just surmise on my part based on what is said in the book, but an interesting question. 😉

Btw, if there is a lot of sugar in the wine/syrup, this may pose more of a problem in the long run in terms of candida (which can increase allergy symptoms) as sugar feeds yeasts, which in turn cause gut inflammation and worsening allergies due to gut permeability.

lorene
    Participant

Thanks, Maz! Interesting. I was doing pretty good with the allergies until the pollen count went through the roof! I have cut out the Elderberry during the day and am drinking only a half glass at night. I’m not a drinker so I won’t be drinking the wine but a few more days. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.