Home Forums General Discussion Ear pain from abx?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jltntl
    Participant

Hi all. The day I began abx treatment (Amocillin), I got ear pain in my right
    hand side ear only.

When my abx is due my ear pain is greatest and reminds me to take the abx. You would think though if it was an infection it would be better by now – it’s been about 6 weeks or so.

I don’t know if it may be referred pain from my throat or my jaw but fact remains I get ear pain constantly and it is getting worse.

If I open my mouth wide or quickly I get shooting pain also, which makes me wonder if it is my dodgy jaw.

Has anyone else had this happen from abx treatment?

…Julia

julia..sorry about your pain, i am not on any abx at the moment, but i do have pain from time to time at the TMJ area, and going into my ear? it goes from left to right, sometimes i cant open my mouth very well and also think my ear is infected? all the best kind regards ..di.

Maz
    Keymaster

@jltntl wrote:

Hi all. The day I began abx treatment (Amocillin), I got ear pain in my right
    hand side ear only.

When my abx is due my ear pain is greatest and reminds me to take the abx. You would think though if it was an infection it would be better by now – it’s been about 6 weeks or so.

I don’t know if it may be referred pain from my throat or my jaw but fact remains I get ear pain constantly and it is getting worse.

If I open my mouth wide or quickly I get shooting pain also, which makes me wonder if it is my dodgy jaw.

Has anyone else had this happen from abx treatment?

…Julia

Hi Julia,

I went onto Drugs.com to check side-effects of amoxy. The list is pretty comprehensive, though it might not be complete as the website says. There are always less common, anomalous reactions to drugs for some folk. This site, however, doesn’t list ear pain as a side-effect.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/amoxicillin-side-effects.html

My best fellow-patient guess is that it’s hitting something in your pathogen mix (Lyme loves nerves and TMJ is classic) and it’s causing herxing. The fact that your ear pain gets worse as the serum levels of amoxy are declining might be suggesting this.

Are you taking amoxy now as part of your abx protocol or was it rx’d for an acute infection (e.g. sinus infection)?

jltntl
    Participant

Hi Maz. I am taking Amocycillan for the Lyme Disease. I take 6 capsules of 500mg per day.

If it’s a possibility it’s a herx then I’ll just put up with it until I can’t bear it any longer. I’ve had different types of TMJ over the past 5 years also. I initially noticed I couldn’t open my mouth wide enough for a sandwich and then later it started clicking and then last year when I was so sick I got pain with it which has subsided somewhat this year. Now not so much of the clicking as acute pain if I accidentally open it wide quickly. Isn’t this just so bizzare. I suppose I should be thankful I can still get it open! Ha.

Well thank you for your input; hopefully it will be a herx and over time will pass.

jltntl
    Participant

Hi Di. Your jaw problem sounds just like mine. Are you going to be tested for Lyme Disease.
    Our thyroid group has just had another test positive for Lyme. Just about all the group are getting tested now.
    Hopefully we can be rid of endochrinologists and just have Lyme GPs!!

hi julia..i had the clicking as well, i had some cranium work(i think thats what they call it ) by my chiro. and that has resolved. i have sent my test away to australian biologocs. i did send you a p.m.? ..all the best ..kind regards ..di.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.