Home Forums General Discussion Doxycycline Ra factor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Spiffy

Has anyone’s RA factor actually decreased while taking Doxy? If so, how long did it take?

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

m.
    Participant

I got to remission on Doxy alone.

I can’t help you with your question re: RA factor. I’ve only had it tested once, and don’t know if that score was an improvement or not bc I don’t have another test to compare it to.

However, I’m no longer anemic, and other out of range markers on my CBC went to normal.

Linda L
    Participant

M.,
    Has Doxy helped you with anemia? How is it possible? Have you tried Mino?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

m.
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

M.,
    Has Doxy helped you with anemia? How is it possible? Have you tried Mino?
    Linda L.

My doctor told me that anemia is part of the disease. I have since forgotten the mechanism & how he explained it to me.

I tried Mino for a week or two when the price of Doxy went thru the roof, but quickly went back to Doxy.

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you M. I have asked because I have had anemia always /low HB, low iron/ and cannot get rid of it. When I take iron supplements the toxicity is bad. When I don’t take it the iron goes down. Colonoscopy, gastroscopy – all checked. I have been on Mino since April 2014.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Linda
    The anaemia as part of the disease is covered in The New Arthritis Breakthrough on pages 144 and 159.

Please see this post of mine from Sept 2014 – which also quotes something I posted in 2010 about this:

Incidentally, the anemia issue is addressed in Dr Brown’s book The Road Back which is contained within The New Arthritis Breakthrough by Henry Scammell (pages 144 and 159). Also in Pat Ganger and Carol Lange’s book “Solving The Puzzling Problem of Arthritis.”** the subject is discussed throughout the book. On Page 144 it states ‘The damaged bone marrow is why arthritics are anemic and do not respond to iron, liver or B12 and other things to build up their blood………..But if you treat the infectious component that is the trouble behind all this with antibiotics, the bone marrow will recover and hemoglobin will rise”

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12111&p=76968&hilit=anemia#p76968

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Thank you Lynnie.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

m.
    Participant
    Linda L
    Participant

A good one. Thank you M.

vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Maz
    Keymaster

@Spiffy wrote:

Has anyone’s RA factor actually decreased while taking Doxy? If so, how long did it take?

Hi Spiffy,

Yes, in fact, in the first year, while I was on tetracycline (first generation tetra developed before doxy and, later, mino) in combo with biaxin and plaquenil, my RF initially rose dramatically in the first few months with herxing, but then began to slowly to decline. The herxing caused it to rise from over 100 to mid-300s….but then it started coming down consistently after that. In the second year, I started low dose mino with zith and all my labs came down to near normal levels within about 10 months.

Sadly, I was one of the rare ducks who wound up with drug-induced lupus erythematosis (DILE), which has meant I’ve not been able to use minocycline. I seem to get DILE from different drugs that cause it, so I have to be careful and it’s just the way my body metabolizes these drugs. It has meant that my journey has been quite a bit more complex than most, which is why I tell other RAers not to compare their case with mine. 😉 However, I did do extremely well on tetra and mino and was in remission by about the 1 year and 10 month mark before this drug reaction arose. I have also used doxy, but never found it as helpful as mino. Others here have great success with doxy, however, and I think it’s because after the DILE episode, tetras just never worked as well for me again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.