Home Forums General Discussion Doxycycline FDA approved or not

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patti D
    Participant

I can’t believe I have been on minocycline for 7 years and until now had no problem with insurance. Because of hyper -pigmentation I was switched to doxycycline by a rheumatologist. Shared numerous studies to doctor that showed doxycycline could be used and today got notice that my insurance would not cover it as it is not FDA approved. What? Any information on this would be helpful as I have to submit a grievance/appeal to the pharmacy board of my carrier. Whats irritating is I have saved my insurance so much money over the last 7 years for not subscribing to the heavy hitters which cost mucho $$. 👿

m.
    Participant

Hi Patty,

It might be a good idea to check with doctor’s office and see how it was coded (if that is the proper terminology). Perhaps for infection, not arthritis? I really don’t know.

Dr. S writes my prescription and our new insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield, covered it with a reasonable copay, $55?

Before the new insurance, we purchased a prescription savings card at Walgreen’s and paying out of pocket for ten weeks of Doxy at 200 mg MWF cost $147.00

Ten times higher than before! But, not out of reach.

Keep us posted and try not to be discouraged. You’ll find a way!

Patti D
    Participant

Thanks M,

I called the insurance company yesterday and laid out my case. The rheumatologist sent in some of the pub med studies I found. Today after filling the script without insurance paying got word from my doctor that they had reversed their decision. I have approval for doxy for treatment of RA but need to be approved again in February. Got my $80.00 back from the pharmacy so I lost a nights sleep over nothing.
    Gotta get into yoga.
    Namaste 😎
    Patti

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.