Home Forums General Discussion Doxy shortage and price jump

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    m.
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I had quite a shock today when I went to pick up my Doxy at Walgreen’s. I normally get a 120 ct bottle of 50 mg Doxy for about $14, with the Walgreen’s rx discount card. Today, they said that will be $146!

They could not offer me any explanation for the dramatic price increase.

I called a smaller family-owned pharmacy, and the pharmacist there made some phone calls and got back to me. He said there is an across the board shortage, and doesn’t know when the supply will be up again.

Tips anyone?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi m.!

Nice to see you – hope all is well your way?

There was a discussion thread on this issue a couple weeks ago you might find helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9328&hilit

JohnnyMax
    Participant

I asked my friend who is pharmacist, he said the price on the Doxy Hyclate has gone up drastically, but for some reason the Monohydrate has not done so as much. You may want to look into that form, supposedly it is easier on the stomach from what he said. Check around.

m.
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Hi m.!

Nice to see you – hope all is well your way?

There was a discussion thread on this issue a couple weeks ago you might find helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9328&hilit

Thanks for the link to that discussion thread, Maz.

Yes, I’m doing very well, thank you. So grateful to have found antibiotic therapy!

m.
    Participant

Walgreen’s has minocycline (generic) available for not much more than I was paying for Doxy before, and no where near the high price of the Doxy on shortage.

I’ve got a message into Dr. S to see if he will approve a switch.

Maz
    Keymaster

@m. wrote:

Walgreen’s has minocycline (generic) available for not much more than I was paying for Doxy before, and no where near the high price of the Doxy on shortage.

Hi m.,

I’m getting my Wyeth generic doxy hyclate from Walgreens just fine so far with just my usual co-pay. Let’s hope this shortage gets sorted soon!

Really glad you’re doing so well, m! That’s great news. 😀 Do you think you might feel ready to do a testimonial for us yet (sorry, had to ask!)? 😉

m.
    Participant

Yes, you’re right, I should type up a testimonial!

I’m switching to mino in the interim. Here’s hoping I tolerate it as well as the doxy.

Maz
    Keymaster

@m. wrote:

Yes, you’re right, I should type up a testimonial!

I’m switching to mino in the interim. Here’s hoping I tolerate it as well as the doxy.

Yes, I’ll put that out for you, m., and hope the mino works as well, too. You could experience a bit of herxing…it can happen with any change in protocol, so try not to be too unnerved if that happens. I actually loved the mino while I was on it and it didn’t make me as sun-sensitive as the doxy…got a really nice CA suntan on it, too, which, being a fair-skinned person was a first! Folks generally take Vit C while on the mino as it can help to avert hyperpigmentation, too, if one happens to prone in that way. Not everyone gets this, but it can be a cosmetic nuisance.

When you’re ready to do your testimonial, just send it to testimonial@roadback.org and one of the volunteers will acknowledge it and get it uploaded to the site. Thanks, m.! 🙂 Stay well!

PhilC
    Participant

@m. wrote:

I hope you’re planning to try it first at 100 mg MWF instead of jumping straight to 200 mg MWF. You may start herxing since the mino will be able to reach “bugs” (if they are there) in places that the doxy could not easily get to.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.