Home Forums General Discussion doxy for the first time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lorena9
    Participant

Hello: I haven’t been present much lately but I am back! I had been on tetracycline for 7 months 4 years ago, when it was discovered I had chronic lyme. (They were the “old fashioned” Tetracyclines, not sure we can get those in the U.S. I am in the U.K). My symptoms lifted somewhat , as did my RA marker. With time, the RA markers came back as did joint pain, but more moderately, and chose to regulate the RA/lyme with diet,supplements and ibuprofen.
    After suffering a bad flu this winter, ( the first since I was very sick with the original lyme bite 23 years ago) I seem to have taken a bad turn, and now hoping to find “the road back” to better health. I have had joint pain, muscle pain. body aches in general with crushing tiredness. I have started taking Doxy, 1/2 of a 100 mg tablet daily. Is that a good start? I hear most people do mino 3x a week. Should i also be pulsing the doxy? Am I better getting mino from my GP? Maybe I should go back on the original Tetracyclines ( at the time I was on 500mg 2x a day i think). Any thoughts would be helpful. Many thanks

jasregadoo

I don’t know much about doxy dosing, there is information on the FAQ that may be helpful. I started Mino 3x a week, and slowly increased to 2x a day. I’ve backed off to 1x a day, mostly due to forgetfulness I’m afraid. I don’t notice that I am better or worse on the lower dose, just the same. Not sure if that is helpful, but wanted to chime in at least.

Spiffy1

I do know that doxy is thought of as needing a higher dose to keep up with the strength of minocyclene. For RA, it seems that often pulse dosing works for many like Monday Wednesday Friday. Yet there are plenty of those who did not get relief until they were daily dosing…sometimes twice a day. It seems that everyone has to find their own sweet spot with dosing. Have you found an AP and/or LLMD in your area? This is such a crucial part of the process. Find someone who can work with you and get your blood tested maybe like every four months for awhile. It is my guess that you will find that in time you will need more doxy than what you are taking now, but I am just a fellow patient guessing. Let us know what you decide!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lorena,

You probably don’t need minocycline, at least not yet. Also, by itself minocycline will never cure you of Lyme Disease, and the same is true for doxycycline and tetracyline. They are likely to be helpful, though. Successful treatment of Lyme Disease requires antibiotic combinations.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.