Home Forums General Discussion Does Ap help Raynauds?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    spfister
    Participant

Hi Everyone:

I havent been on here for awhile due to the fact my RA continues to do very well with the AP. I haven’t been to the Dr recently but still feel really good far as RA goes. But I have been battling oppotunistic lung infections though, that my Pulminologist says was due to taking Humira. I have had Aspergillosis and pseudomonas again this winter: ( People really need to understand how really dangerous those RA drugs are.

I have a question about Raynauds syndrome. I had it when I first got RA but it went away. But my son has it now pretty bad for a few years. I was wondering if AP works for treating that, even if one doesn’t have a connective tissue disease?

Just wondering is some of you know about this working for Raynauds alone.

Thanks,
    Shari

Maz
    Keymaster

@spfister wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I havent been on here for awhile due to the fact my RA continues to do very well with the AP. I haven’t been to the Dr recently but still feel really good far as RA goes. But I have been battling oppotunistic lung infections though, that my Pulminologist says was due to taking Humira. I have had Aspergillosis and pseudomonas again this winter: ( People really need to understand how really dangerous those RA drugs are.

I have a question about Raynauds syndrome. I had it when I first got RA but it went away. But my son has it now pretty bad for a few years. I was wondering if AP works for treating that, even if one doesn’t have a connective tissue disease?

Just wondering is some of you know about this working for Raynauds alone.

Shari, so happy you’re doing so well on your AP! 🙂 It’s so uplifting when folk check back in intermittantly with such great updates. Thanks!

Yes, Raynaud’s very often resolves with AP. Like you, I had a minor case of Raynaud’s when I got hit with RA and it resolved over time. There are different types of Raynaud’s….primary Raynaud’s (the only symptom that may be due to thyroid or other hormone imbalances, certain medications, anxiety/stress, etc) and Raynaud’s syndrome, where it is a co-manifestation of (or sometimes a precursor to) other autoimmune diseases.

http://www.medicinenet.com/raynauds_phenomenon/article.htm

It seems to have a neurological component, which causes blood vessel constiction and, although thought to be idiopathic, as we know from infections like Lyme disease, neurologic and inflammatory presentations can often have an infectious cause. AP is relatively benign, so if the Raynaud’s is really causing some issues, then it might not hurt to give low dose AP a try to see if it might help? My Raynaud’s played up for about 8 months into abx therapy until it completely cleared up, so it might not be an overnight sensation, but could help with the discomfort.

Good news that you’re off the biologic now….aspergillosis and other mold-like disease is a black box warning on the biologics. 🙁 Are you doing anything to get rid of this infection with conventional or naturopathic remedies?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Shari;
    My Raynaud’s was quite bad and took several years to lessen.I have been on AP for over 12 years and took about 5 years to get to the point that I could have my hands in cold water or be outside shoveling snow for several hours with no effect.Today,the only time I have any sighn is when we have hot weather and I have to go to the frozen food section of the grocery store.I have a greenhouse and can be watering plants for 2-4 hours and be soaking wet just about from head to toe with ambient air temp of 50 without problems.

spfister
    Participant

Thanks Maz & Lynn, I will suggest that my son get his thyroid checked and see if anything shows up there before suggesting a low dose minocyline.

Maz I have been on cipro for the pseudomonas pneumonia several times. One Pulminologist said once you have had it it’s always present and can come back: ( Also for the fungal infection I have been on VFend in the past for a long time almost a year it’s a lot like Sporonox but I couldn’t take sporonox because of side effects. Then I got rid of the fungus and when It came back this winter, they tried the VFend but it didn’t work so they put me on an amphetericin in a nebulized form. Because ampphetericn is normally used in IV’s but the side effects are very bad when you take it in IV’s so he suggested an off label use of nebulizing the solution. So the nebulized form didn’t cause me any side effects except sore throat and made my asthma worse temporaily.

So one of the problems with antifungals is the fungus can get smart and a certain antifungal doesn’t work anymore just like antibiotics can quit working because the bacteria become resistant. I know that when you take natural antifungals like garlic, caprylic acid,oil oregano, and olive leaf it’s best to rotate them also.

I know Maz you suggested I try NAC once for my lungs and I havent yet but am considering doing that any idea about how much I should take, I’ve read you need to take zinc and copper also with this supplement.

Thanks again, all your knowledge in these many areas is so appreciated!
    Shari

Parisa
    Participant

Shari,

I think someone posted here that they were taking an extended release niacin to help with their Raynauds. That’s something else to look into also.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.