Home Forums General Discussion Does anyone know anything about allopecia

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gbaker
    Participant

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this awful condition and what might help. I know of a 10 year old girl who has now lost all her hair and must wars wigs. Her parents have tried many therapies, mostly natural I think but nothing works. There is a family history of this on her fathers side who also has it. My understanding is that allopecia is an autoimmune disease so I’m thinking maybe AP may be an avenue to try. Grateful for any suggestions. Apart from that I was diagnosed with SD last year and found this site just recently. I am now booked into see a GP in Melbourne Australia next month to commence my anti biotics. Very excited.
    regards
    Gwen

Maz
    Keymaster

@gbaker wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this awful condition and what might help. I know of a 10 year old girl who has now lost all her hair and must wars wigs. Her parents have tried many therapies, mostly natural I think but nothing works. There is a family history of this on her fathers side who also has it. My understanding is that allopecia is an autoimmune disease so I’m thinking maybe AP may be an avenue to try. Grateful for any suggestions. Apart from that I was diagnosed with SD last year and found this site just recently. I am now booked into see a GP in Melbourne Australia next month to commence my anti biotics. Very excited.

Hi Gwen,

I should think that if the allopecia is inflammatory and/or has an infectious cause, then it’s quite possible that minocycline (or another abx targeted to the specific infectious cause) would help the condition. If you run some google searches on allopecia and minocycline, you’ll find a number of sites and discussion forums talking about this. Unfortunately, it’s not really a rheumatic disease, so doesn’t get any air-time around here.

Here is one study to get you going on PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22134564

It’s a very difficult condition for a little girl…a neighbor’s daughter also had this problem from around the age of 6, just as she was starting school. πŸ™

All the very best for your doc appt next month – let us know how it goes! I’m sure Lynnie would love to get some feedback on the Melbourne doc, as our lists are all peer-maintained and only as good as the feedback we receive back from patients seeing these docs. πŸ˜‰

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I think I may know the doc Gwen is going to see πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ If it is the one I think it is, you might run your question past her (i you have time of course)

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

gbaker
    Participant

Thank you to Maz for the information. I will pass it on to the mother. And Lynnie, you guessed right. I am off to see Dr D in October.
    Cheers
    Gwen

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Gwen,

Please tell the girl’s parents to look into low-dose naltrexone (LDN). See: http://www.ldnscience.org.

Here’s a link to some discussion on another web site about using LDN to treat alopecia:
    Has anyone ever tried Naltrexone (low dose LDN) for the AA?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

gbaker
    Participant

Thank you for that information Phil… will certainly get that to the patents.

regards
    Gwen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.