Home Forums General Discussion DMARD plus Minocin?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mkay
    Participant

Looking for personal use of people here who are combining a dmard along with the minocin, do you still get benefit from the antibiotic also? Would love to hear advice, personal stories, or any knowledge of this being done. Also would love to hear of any experience with sulfasazine?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi mkay
    I was on sulfasalazine for a few years before I heard about AP. Took about 3 months to kick in but put me into remission for 3/4 years. There were side effects and my AP doc says the ab property of it obviously worked and the sulfa component probably did me damage. If you click on my testimonial in my sig line, there is more info about my experience with this.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Hi mkay. I have not used sulfasalazine, but I have used plaquenil and minocin for more than 5 years now. For awhile I was down to a very low dose of plaquenil but some inflammation returned last spring and I increased the plaquenil to a more traditional dose. The combination has worked well for me. I lead a pretty healthy, normal life –not perfect, but close enough.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi mkay,

How long have you been on Minocin? And what have you done for your RA besides take Minocin? I see that you are taking probiotics, which is good. Are you taking any other medications or supplements, and have you made any changes to your diet?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

mkay – you might want to share a little more about the reasons for your question.
    For example:
    Is the Minocin not working as you’d hoped?
    What are you still dealing with in terms of symptoms?
    Phil’s question about how long you’ve been taking it is very pertinent.
    Are you on Minocin the brand or a generic minocycline? That might also have a bearing.

This kind of information and anything else about your current situation will help people give you more useful responses to your question.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.