Home Forums General Discussion Disability

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KyPeach
    Participant

I currently am employed full time, but it’s really a struggle. And it seems to get harder every day. I am considering going out on disability, but really don’t know what I need to do. Is anybody out there on disability? Can you give me any tips? Pro’s and con’s would be appreciated!

Parisa
    Participant

There are many things to consider.
    CONS
    Loss of income – disability usually pays quite a bit less
    Loss of health benefits at some point with sky high COBRA payments
    Once COBRA is gone will you now have a pre existing condition that precludes from getting health insurance??

PROS
    Giving your body a chance to rest and heal

My husband went out on temporary total disability through his work. He was out several times for about six months a piece. After the first year, we had to pay extra for his benefits. We knew that we wouldn’t be able to afford COBRA so I changed careers to one that had benefits so I could carry the family.

Do you have any understanding company? Could you try part-time for a while? Would you qualify for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act)?

richie
    Participant

Hi–Years ago I did go out disability as well I had private disability –since my daughter is a disability attorney she did everything for me because its not really that easy and usually the first attempt is turned down —A few good points were brought up –if you do get long term disability the payments equal what you would have received from social security after reaching the age of 66–I am sure it is quite a bit less than you earn –also -you will need to find healthcare benefits for two years until medicare goes into effect –hopefully your company can continue you —the government also has a program where you can try to work and still receive disability -of course earnings are deducted from payments –also while you are waiting for SSD -you are eligible for short term disability from your states insurance fund –you can inquire about this from your company —-I would suggest either one of two things –go to your local social security office to discuss your situation and also think about speaking with a disability attorney –by law they can not charge any fees until they win the case and then only back benefits –its set by the govt –NO future benefits
    richie

kater
    Participant

Ky
    I live in Canada so can’t comment on the resources and legalities, –finances oh yeah I think wherever you live.
    At Christmas time I made the decision to leave my job and go on disability, at least for a bit. Perhaps I will be well enough to return to work (in a school) in September, I don’t know. I do know that when I am at work my symptoms are all so much worse. Scleroderma being something that can take one out in an untimely manner, I decided to let go of my attachment to money and security (as much as I can lol) and embrace health, healing and my life. It was a very scary letting go but I can honestly tell you I have never felt happier or more peaceful in my life–which is intriguing from someone with scleroderma, lyme, bartonella and myco p. I feel really good at least in spirit and most often in body. I believe if you have faith and do what you know is right for you, the money piece will sort itself out. Always has for me. It is interesting what can be done when you have time and freedom. I have been doing a little buy/scrounge and sell which is incredibly fun for a little extra help with medical bills. 😆
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Rosey UK
    Participant

Well done Kate!
    I believe your right!!

Rosemary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.