Home Forums General Discussion Did anybody get side effects from long term usage of minocycline

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patti,

I can understand not wanting to switch if you consider the side effects to be a minor issue. I just had another thought about this. Are you taking Minocin or generic minocycline?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Patti D
    Participant

Hey Phil,
    I am taking generic minocycline not minocin. I don't think my healthcare plan covers nothing but generic. What is your idea?
    Thanks
    Patti

susch
    Participant

Maz,

You've been so helpful.  I made a call to my RA, yes it is Dr. W, I'm hoping to call him my miracle worker very soon:).  He had started me on the minocycline on the first visit.  I had waited over 3 months for an appointment.  Two weeks later I returned to discuss the lab results, at which time maybe he thought I needed a boost to clear out the high levels of m.pneumoniae.  Honestly, I was doing fine with the 50mg of minocycline 3x's a day.  In fact, when I returned home after that visit, I was elated that my blood work showed up with the mycoplasma bacteria, that I was outside doing yard work, using my hands-something I hadn't been able to do since November.  He did tell me to call on Monday to let him know how I was doing.  I suppose I thought I should give it a couple of days, instead of 1 1/2 , do I figured it was doing it's “herxing” thing.  Glad to know I don't have to continue to suffer now.  Your reply was so informative and reassuring-I am so optimistic that I will have “my” normal life back again:). Thanks you so much-for your time!

PhilC
    Participant

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

Hey Phil,
    I am taking generic minocycline not minocin. I don't think my healthcare plan covers nothing but generic. What is your idea?
    Thanks
    Patti

Hi Patti,

What letters and/or numbers are printed on the capsules (or tablets)? My idea is to try a different generic. The different manufacturers make them differently; the fillers can be different and most contain one or more food dyes. Your rash might be a reaction to one of those “inert” ingredients.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Patti D
    Participant

Genius Phil!
    I think I have been on the Watson brand the entire time. If I remember someone on this board mentioned at one time that Watson was a very good generic but your right. Not sure about the quantity of filler in a generic but I very well could be sensative to something.
    I did read that a side effect of minocycline is skin rashes and sometimes itchy skin but I only itch in one spot and only have that rash on one shin. It is pretty strange but now 4 doctors have looked at it and none have prescribed anything to get rid of it. They don't seem to think its a big deal so I don't know what to think.
    If anyone has any magic solution to get rid of a dry patch (I mean really dry raised rash) please tell me. I think I have tried everything other than change my minocycline.
    I will check out another pharmacy and see if they don't use Watson.

Thanks Phil!!

Patti

Maz
    Keymaster

I did read that a side effect of minocycline is skin rashes and sometimes itchy skin but I only itch in one spot and only have that rash on one shin. It is pretty strange but now 4 doctors have looked at it and none have prescribed anything to get rid of it. They don't seem to think its a big deal so I don't know what to think.

Patti, I don't want to throw a spanner in the works here…it's just a suggestion to get tested for Grave's disease. My Mum had this and it can cause a thickened, reddish, itchy, raised rash over the shins (called pretibial myxedema)…as well as sweating and a few other things. I somehow doubt it's this, because you're not losing weight and I can't remember if the rash is usually found on both shins or not…but it just struck me that your symptoms may somehow be interconnected with thyroid…particularly if your thyroid meds are not in balance right now. The following is a symptom-checker for Grave's, but I don't think all the symptoms necessarily have to be in place for a diagnosis…it's kinda like Lyme…some folk may get some symptoms and not others and it can take a while to get a proper thyroid dx, like most of these darn AI diseases:

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/signs-symptoms-of-graves-disease/116379;jsessionid=8BFF3E30AD062454F083378197613CB0?query=Pretibial+Myxedema

Also a Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretibial_myxedema

Just a thought and don't want to add any more to the stew of concerns and this may be totally moot…just wondered if your doc had tested you for thyroid auto-antibodies recently?

Peace, Maz

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patti,

Here are the common forms of generic minocycline (in the U.S.):

Watson Laboratories Inc. (DAN 5695)
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=8609

Teva Pharmaceuticals USA (93 3167)
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=7865

Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. (RX696)
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=4085

Par Pharmaceutical, Inc. (par 513)
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=13358

There may be others; those are the ones I was able to find that are (apparently)
    being sold in the U.S. at present. The last one looks like it might be worth trying. I
    noticed that the tablets don't contain any food dyes.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Patti D
    Participant

Hey Maz,
    I think I saw my share of very yucky skin rashes.Thanks for the links. I think I have a real simple form of ecema that I irritate by scratching all of the time. I might just scratch because I am having a nervous type of reaction to something. Oh boy. Here goes, looney tunes for sure. The other thing i will do is have my doctor check the veins in my legs. It could be some varicose veins showing up too. I do have that in the family, have some deep blue veins on the back of my legs too. No bulging veins but I am on my feet most days for long periods of time as well as frequent sitting on the back of my legs while on the floor teaching CPR. No wonder I ache when I get home. Sheesh. More to fall apart.HA-HA.
    I am going to try to cover the dry patch with aloe for a week and try not to itch and see what happens. I find it interesting that this is the same leg with the still puffy ankle ( looks like a little fat bulge right above the tendon on the top of foot where the foot bends. This is so minor but it does look like a cat scratched me so it could be bartonella as well. I keep showing it to all of the doctors but no one seems to be concerned.
    Anyhoo, thanks Maz & Phil too. I may just try another brand of generic mino Phil to see if this goes away. Everything is process of elimination. If I have luck with covering the rash I may not have to do anything.

Thanks guys!
    Patti

mkbeeliever
    Participant

Today I took mom to the doctor who's been prescribing her Mino and Zith.  He looked at her “tan” and wants to back down her dosage to 50mg twice a day.  Her skin is actually better.  He sees it but he doesn't like the tan.  Doesn't like her tan??  Come on!  Look at the progress she has made.  I know he's not an AP doctor so he doesn't know much.  I asked him to once again try to consult with Dr. S. in Iowa.  When we left I was not happy at all.  I immediately emailed Dr. S. in Iowa and begged him to consult with mom's dr.  I asked him about the lowering of the dose and also asked him to educate this doctor on how to get the Clindy IVs pushed through.  I hope they connect.

Mom and I discussed it and she's going to call tomorrow and tell him she would rather not cut her dose, she doesn't want to go backwards.  I asked her how she felt, told her how I felt and she doesn't want to do it.

We are #24 on the list for Dr. S in Georgia. I called them and apparently they “lost” my phone number.  Again, not happy…grrrrrrrrr.  The guy who answered the phone was not helpful at all.  He was kinda put off by me saying “do you realize how many calls I get a day like yours?….blah blah blah, at least 20 per day…”  Give me a break.  You are damn lucky, these people are paying your salary phone boy.

I am normally not a “venter” but I really felt like I needed to before I blow a girlie gasket and this “Side effect” thread might be the place to do it.  Seems like a “safe” place to do it and a lot of my very smart favorite people are posting here!  Lol!

xxoo
    Blessings,
    Michelle

heatherbell
    Participant

Hi Patti,

If you google Vitamin C and minocycline there is some information about taking large amounts of Vitamin C (500mg/day?) that may prevent hyperpigmentation.  However, I don't know if it will prevent it once “the horse has bolted”.  Maybe someone else here will have more valuable advice on this.

Cheers.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

We are #24 on the list for Dr. S in Georgia. I called them and apparently they “lost” my phone number.  Again, not happy…grrrrrrrrr.  The guy who answered the phone was not helpful at all.  He was kinda put off by me saying “do you realize how many calls I get a day like yours?….blah blah blah, at least 20 per day…”  Give me a break.  You are damn lucky, these people are paying your salary phone boy.

20 a day???????????………….er, maybe they might just think about making some changes to their system???????????? No wonder you need to vent! Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

20 a day???????????………….er, maybe they might just think about making some changes to their system???????????? No wonder you need to vent! Lynnie

Number 24 on the list of new patients for Dr. S who apparently doesn't come in very much at all to see new patients.  When he does he sees like 8 a day.  Apparently we have been passed over a few times because they did not have my phone number and he said people were crossed off the list after us.  He also said that if they call, they will try one time both numbers I gave him.  If we do not answer, they will not leave a message, we will go back into rotation.  So I programmed all their phone numbers in my cell phone and have their number written by the home phone.  Crazy.  Just crazy.  We need more AP doctors bad.

Maz
    Keymaster

This is so minor but it does look like a cat scratched me so it could be bartonella as well. I keep showing it to all of the doctors but no one seems to be concerned.

Yeah, it's weird, Patti…the reaction, that is. 😕

Any chance you can take a pic of it to post here? LOL Of course, we'd love to see you “show a leg” (only kidding :roll-laugh:), but maybe someone will recognize the rash from something they've had.

Hope the aloe works!!!

Peace, Maz

Patti D
    Participant

Michelle,
    I am sorry you are having such trouble getting through to the doctors. Hang in there. It will work out. You have come too far to hit a road block. Thinking of you GF.

OMG Maz,

Take a pcture of this cubby stubby leg HAHAHAHAHA! I will have my daughter take a picture this weekend on her cell phone and see if she can post. I must be totally lu-lu but heck, were like family right?????? Randy gets everyone to glow over his hairy arm why not try my spotted shin. Move over Randy, my rash may be posted soon! And if anyone here can identify this beast wonderful. I am open to ideas.

giggle -giggle
    Patti

Parisa
    Participant

Michelle,

I've heard about this mino tan but I also know that these conditions can also cause strange colorings.  My husband had a strange coppery look to  his skin and wasn't taking mino.  Considering the benefits your mom is getting from mino I don't know why a doctor would get worked up about skin coloring unless it was was being caused by some sort of organ damage.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘ Did anybody get side effects from long term usage of minocycline’ is closed to new replies.