Home Forums General Discussion dermatomyositis

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    betsyr
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

Since this is a DM thread I thought I could throw this question in without having to start an entirely new topic.

Have any of you had or do any of you currently have  issues with underlying cancers? I keep reading different articles that mention the association between Dermatomyosits (specifically as compared to the other myositis types) and malignancies. 

I see a doctor who prescribes my AP but she does not want to be a primary care physician so basically all I see her for is to get my antibiotic prescription. I don't have a doctor of any type (including my rheumatologist) who has any experience at all in treating a DM patient so I don't feel like any of them know what type of screenings would be considered routine to check for underlying cancer.

I am just trying to figure out if there are certain types of test that should be done routinely and what these tests would be and on what schedule. I think my rheumatologist would gladly order anything I requested if I could provide him with the information but I don't want to go overboard with tests that aren't necessary.

Thanks everyone!

Betsyr

DM , Lupus, Sjogren's Syndrome / Reynauds

Doxycycline 100mg 2x daily m/w/f, Plaquenil 200mg daily

Parisa
    Participant

Betsy,

Yes, there is sometimes a correlation between dermatomyositis and an underlying cancer.  Some simple screenings would be:  colonoscopy, mammogram, etc.

jtubman
    Participant

Betsy,

My wife had breast cancer at the same time as DM,both diagnosed at the beginning of 2007. She is beating both diseases. I don't know what types of tests should be ordered, as her family doctor handles that. Her oncologist cleared her of breast cancer this summer.

I have mentioned LDN before, and what an important drug it is for both DM and for Cancer. Once she started LDN, all the standard markers of inflammation, such as CPK(or CK),ESR(or sed rate),and CRP(C Reactive Protein), as well as her tumor markers all showed a steady decline while taking LDN. I will say that all these blood markers are very important, but there are others.

You might try the http://www.myositis.org site, perhaps they can help further with blood tests (but it is not an AP or LDN site,but might be useful)

-Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘ dermatomyositis’ is closed to new replies.