Home Forums General Discussion daughter in UK

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    marg
    Participant

Hello All,
    I have not been on the discussion board for quite awhile. Our youngest daughter had RA as an adult and was greatly helped by AP.

We have a daughter living in England who suddenly developed severe pain in her hands, wrists and sometimes shoulders. She was diagnosed initially with tendon sheath infection. Blood tests for this were inconclusive. She was on a short course of antibiotics and just lately a 5 day course of steroids . The steroids helped but when she stopped the pain and inflammation returned. She is now on a list to see a rheumatologist but was told it could be months. We will help so she can see a private rheumy. She takes over the counter pain meds.

She is a classical musician and cannot play her instrument. This will wreck havoc – they own a house, have a young daughter…

Two questions: has anyone heard of tendon sheath infection? Is there an AP doctor in the UK? Our daughter lives in Cheltenham but could travel.

Many thanks.
    marg

lemons
    Participant

Hello, tendon sheath infection sounds like Lyme not RA. There are two clinics in UK, one in Hertfordshire that deals with every disease known to mankind , and another 30 miles north of Brighton. I go to the latter. x

marg
    Participant

Thanks so much Lemon. It is so very helpful to hear from others. I, too , wondered about Lyme. Tests for Lyme are tricky.
    Marg

lemons
    Participant

I had an NHS Lyme test done, they are now sent to Porton Down chemical and bioweapons warfare unit. They are meant to be more accurate now, but Im not convinced. I have lost faith in the NHS and contrary to popular belief in the US, it is not free. If you work, you are taxed then you also have to pay another tax called national insurance. National insurance pays for medical care for everyone that is in the UK , guests, students, travellers, anyone can have access to free medical care. Its not free if you live and work in the UK. I live and work in the UK but because my NHS doctor doesn’t agree with treating RA with Minocin I have to pay a private doctor to do so. Anyway, sorry for the rant but I do get fed up with the whole system sometimes but on the plus side, I do seem to be getting better on antibiotics, although its expensive in the UK !!

marg
    Participant

I am glad to have information on how the health system works. It’s very hard to be in Canada and have her in so much difficulty so far away.
    To use AP I would guess she would need a private doctor and I have no idea what kind of expense that would be. If she is not able to work ( playing, teaching) added expense is a concern.
    I’m grateful for your posts. Thanks.
    marg

sandrabonfield
    Participant

Hello I too have been to the same clinic Lemons went to. The Doctor there is willing to do AP but I do not think he is an expert in this area. I do go to a private GP and he originally prescribed Minocin for me. The cost of a private gp appointment is about eighty pounds.
    Hope you get the help you need
    Sandra

marg
    Participant

Thanks, Sandra. Do you – or others- have a recommendation for a doctor in the Cotswolds? It would have to be sent to me by private message as we cannot give names on the Board. Otherwise a good doctor within reasonable driving distance.
    Our daughter has been in England for about 20 years, married and is a citizen – it’s still too far!
    Marg

lemons
    Participant

Hi Marg I have sent you a private message regarding doctors.

Anonymous
    Participant

@lemons wrote:

Hello, tendon sheath infection sounds like Lyme not RA. There are two clinics in UK, one in Hertfordshire that deals with every disease known to mankind , and another 30 miles north of Brighton. I go to the latter. x

Hi Lemons – could you tell me the name of the clinic as I live in Forest Row, which doesn’t sound too far from the 30 miles from Brighton one you attend. Thank you x

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you for the DM, Lemons. I couldn’t reply as I don’t have the rights being a new user. Just wanted to say thanks : )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.