Home Forums General Discussion Complications following probiotic use

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BG
    Participant

Hi all,

Since I started using a different probiotic a few of days ago, inner-eco coconut water kefir, I have had some weird symptoms, including developing a foul yellow-brown coated tongue, and weird body-wide sensations so I decided to do a web search to find complications of or contraindications to probiotic use and found the following article containing the following quote:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/572279

richie
    Participant

Hi Coated tongue sounds like a fungus –I went to the companies web site –sounds like a real basement type operation –they add kefir to coconut water —hardly a setting for quality control —they also recommend one tablespoon daily –I also dont see how that can replenish the good bacteria killed off by the antibiotic –Seems to me your problem is lack of a probiotic –suggest you try a more conventional probiotic
    Richie

richie
    Participant

Hi Remember the purpose of a probiotic to a person taking antibiotic is to replenish the gut flora and gut bacteria —this article refers to folks who just use probiotic as an aid to digestion –the person taking antibiotic doesnt have enough good bacteria in the gut and the probiotic replaces that –The article does not apply to us !!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

BG
    Participant

Richie,

1. The article applies to anyone with pancreatitis or who has severe inflammation and a leaky gut.

2. Coconut water kefir and coconut milk kefir is recommended by Sarah Ballantyne, PhD, in her book The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body, c. 2013 — the information contained in the book is based on current medical and scientific research and contains 18 (10″x8″) pages of scientific research and medical references in fine print.

3. Inner-?co Fresh Harvested Coconut Water Dairy-Free Probiotic Kefir is a highly regarded, prize winning, sugar free, naturally preserved coconut water kefir contining only fresh young coconut water and kefir cultures. It averages over 100 billion probiotic CFU’s per 1 tablespoon serving which is why only one tablespoon per day is recommended for adults. The active kefir cultures in inner-?co: Lactococcus lactis subsp. lastis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis ssp. diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris, lactobacillus kefyr, Kluyveromyces marxianus var. marxianus, and Saccharomyes unisporus.

Barb

richie
    Participant

Hi One tablespoon is for normal people –people taking antibiotic automatically become prone to fungal infections –the proof is in your tongue —it looks like you are not getting enough probiotic —it sure looks like the prize winning probiotic isnt doing you much good –my major point is that people who are taking long term antibiotic MUST take probiotic and enough of it !!!!one more point anything hand mixed has a certain inconsistently from dose to dose –we must rely on our own judgement to figure things out sometimes
    Richie

Suzanne
    Participant

Barb,

Have you checked inside your cheeks and gums? Plaquenil can cause this:
    http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/oral-lichenoid.html

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

BG
    Participant

Hi Suzanne,

No, I don’t have that kind of problem in my mouth. Also, I haven’t taken any Plaquenil for a month or more.

I just have a yellow-brown coating on my tongue which started the same day I started the new probiotic. I didn’t have any coating on my tongue before I started the new probiotic.

Per Mayo Clinic staff:

Yellow tongue usually occurs as a result of harmless changes to the tiny projections (papillae) on the surface of your tongue.
    Most commonly this occurs when your papillae become enlarged and bacteria in your mouth produce colored pigments.

Rarely, yellow tongue may be a sign of jaundice, a yellowing of your eyes and skin that may indicate liver or gallbladder
    problems.

Causes of a yellow tongue include:

Suzanne
    Participant

It is good that Mayo says it is harmless. I wouldn’t think that one probiotic dose could cause a drastic change, especially if you have been on a comparable dose of a different type all along with no problems (unless you are allergic to something in it).

The link I posted says that the drugs mentioned can cause the problem even after you have stopped taking it, FYI. My understanding is that Plaquenil also has an antimicrobial effect, so maybe enough of it is now out of your system that a fungus could take over? We were told it would be a few months before it was completely out of my daughter’s system.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

A Friend
    Participant

@BG wrote:

Hi all,

Since I started using a different probiotic a few of days ago, inner-eco coconut water kefir, I have had some weird symptoms, including developing a foul yellow-brown coated tongue, and weird body-wide sensations so I decided to do a web search to find complications of or contraindications to probiotic use and found the following article containing the following quote:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/572279

A Friend
    Participant

Barb,

More explanation about “Black Tongue” I previously referred to (which in my own case back about 1992, was a positive sign that CoQ10 was also addressing unfriendly yeast or other organisms, and some of these were being deposited on the tongue that first morning). I had also just begun following the recommendations in Dr. William Crook’s book, “Chronic Fatigue & the Yeast Connection”. (He was a pediatric allergist, and finally resorted to research to find why he couldn’t get some of his babies well; he wrote 12 books before his death, and founded a Foundation based on this research — International Health Foundation.) That was the very beginning of my deciding to study and learn and follow his recommendations — which served me well… until we moved to another city in the wintertime, and I was exposed to heavy mold for several months in a heating system in an apartment while building a home. It malfunctioned, and it was discovered when repairmen came. I’d already begun feeling bad again after doing so well for several years.
    AF

http://www.livestrong.com/article/540549-black-tongue-disease-nutrition/
    Black Tongue Disease & Nutrition
    Last Updated: Sep 10, 2011 | By Emma Cale

[beginning excerpt of above article]

Black tongue disease occurs as a result of a variety of factors. It sometimes develops idiopathically, meaning an exact medical explanation cannot be found. Black tongue can be a frightening experience, but the condition represents a simple overgrowth of bacteria in the mouth and remains entirely harmless. That said, poor nutrition plays a significant role in some cases of black tongue. Speak to your doctor or health care provider about possible nutritional factors if you develop black tongue.

Causes
    Treatment with antibiotics represents one of the principal causes of black tongue disease, according to John Murtagh, Ph.D., emeritus professor in General Practice at Monash University in Australia. Antibiotics affect the balance of normal fungi and yeast in the mouth; this can lead to a proliferation of the bacteria behind black tongue disease. Other causes, according to MayoClinic.com, include heavy smoking; inadequate oral hygiene; mouth breathing; mouthwashes that contain peroxide, witch hazel or menthol; and bismuth, a medication present in many upset-stomach remedies.
    [More]

[End of Excerpt, but more on web site]

richie
    Participant

Hi An easy looking up of coconut water will yield the following –high in sodium –high in sugar –can trigger allergies –allergies have become so wide spread that the FDA reclassified coconut water as a tree nut opposed to a seed — I ‘ll stick to a basic probiotic like PB8 –I have been taking 10 capsules daily with never a problem —Another interesting item was the strength of the coconut water depends on the age of the coconut –an older coconut may be stronger than a younger coconut that speaks to product consistency—
    richie

BG
    Participant

Thanks Richie. I had no idea. I resisted trying coconut water kefir for a long time. Only broke down recently after purchasing the book I mentioned which was STRONGLY recommended to me by a relative who has no patience for my illness so I thought I would give the book and the recommendations in the book a try. The coconut water kefir is going down the drain!

Barb

richie
    Participant

Hi I think that is the correct move—if your old probiotic agreed with you and prevented fungal problems then thats the one for you —-Unfortunately we who have problems become targets for slick advertising -I have become very cynical over the years for good reason !!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck –
    Richie

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.