Home Forums General Discussion clindy and high blood pressure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eva Holloway
    Participant

Hi,
    last year in fall I started to take clindy oral for about 6 months off and on because of dental work. When ever I had to take the clindy I stopped my Biaxin and Minocin for several days, but what really was odd that when I started to take take clindy my blood pressure when super high like 220 over 70, normally it is around 130 over 65. Dr. K was worried and told me to go to my GP and she put me on a real light blood pressure medication. Then I had to wear a blood pressure cuff for 24 hours and most of the pressure was actually normal. After I was off the clindy for a month my blood pressure went back to normal and I stopped taking the medication.
    Question: does clindy cause high blood pressure? Just want to make sure that if I have to take it again I will be prepared to get also some blood pressure medication.

Eva ❓

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

@Eva Holloway wrote:

Question: does clindy cause high blood pressure? Just want to make sure that if I have to take it again I will be prepared to get also some blood pressure medication.

Eva ❓

Hi Eva,

Very glad you followed up on the high BP and got appropriate treatment….a BP of 220/71 is not to be shrugged off. 😉

I’ve done a bit of searching around and have been unable to locate anything on clindamycin causing hypertension…but, strangely, hypotension is mentioned as a possible side effect:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/clindamycin-side-effects.html

Cardiovascular
    Cardiovascular side effects have included rare cases of high degree heart block, hypotension, and cardiopulmonary arrest after clindamycin was administered intravenously over several minutes. In these cases, the affected patients subsequently tolerated slow infusions of clindamycin.”

http://www.healthatoz.info/drugs/clindamycin.htm

“Side Effects of Clindamycin
    The following side effects of Clindamycin may includes:

Upset stomach.
    Vomiting and diarrhea.
    Skin rash.
    Abdominal or stomach cramps and pain (severe).
    Nausea.
    Severe dizziness.
    Low blood pressure.”

This is not to say that strange anomalies can’t happen with certain abx in some folk. You don’t mention any other symptoms, so I’m gathering it’s not a hypersensivity reaction (e.g. serum sickness).

By way of personal experience, when I have been treated for babesia with certain abx combinations, my blood pressure has gone haywire, too, and I’ve become temporarily hypertensive (165/110). This occured while on the Mepron/Azithromycin combination and I got some severe headaches and hot flashes with it. Drug side-effect or herxing? Well, all I can tell you is that, after the first 3 months, these symptoms dissipated. So, I can only presume that it was herxing….after all, babesiosis is a red blood cell parasite and, following the dots here, would presumably do a number on the cardio-vascular system. At my last doc appt, my BP was 121/81.

Not much help, is it? Correlation doesn’t always imply causation….but if it only occurs while on clindamycin and nothing else has changed in your protocol or health status, then you’re wise to take precautions.

vera
    Participant

I recently attempted IV clindy and only made it through one session. My blood pressure went way up as well. I also got a very bad headache. My doctor stopped further infusions, and wants me to start with the oral clindy before attempting IV’s again. He was surprised at my reaction, but I guess it can happen. 🙄

Lori

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Maz,

thank you for the info, guess our bodies react differently to medications. At least now I know what to do if I have to take clindy again.

Eva 🙂

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

@vera wrote:

I recently attempted IV clindy and only made it through one session. My blood pressure went way up as well. I also got a very bad headache. My doctor stopped further infusions, and wants me to start with the oral clindy before attempting IV’s again. He was surprised at my reaction, but I guess it can happen. 🙄

Lori

Hi Lori,

Do you remember how fast the IV drip was set up? I seem to recall reading somewhere that if the clindy is dripped too fast, it can be shocking to the body. Some folk need IV clindy to be administered nice and slow…even if beginning on the low 300ml dose, so that it drips in over a period of about an hour. It might provide a clue to this if you can tolerate oral clindy (i.e. no allergy/hypersensitivity)….just wondering really and I might be off-base with this thought. 😉 Also, can you remember if your clindy was in a saline or glucose solution? I often have wondered if this might have some effect on how swiftly the med is absorbed.

Trudi
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

By way of personal experience, when I have been treated for babesia with certain abx combinations, my blood pressure has gone haywire, too

Hi Maz–
    Recently I came across this article on babesia and severe hypertension:

Signs and Symptoms:
    One to 3 weeks after tick bite, malaise, loss of appetite, fatigue, and dark urine are common. Initial symptoms are followed several days later by fever, myalgia, headache, and drenching sweats. Illness can range from a mild self-limited infection to severe hemolytic anemia, renal failure, and severe hypertension. Decreased levels of blood platelets may necessitate exchange blood transfusions.

http://www.healingwell.com/library/lymedisease/info2.asp

Although I don’t test positive for babesia, I do test positive for the malaria plasmodia. I have had extremely severe (230/120) blood pressure and treatment has often raised it. I firmly believe my blood pressure is related to my infection.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

vera
    Participant

Hi Maz,

I know the amount of clindy was what Dr. S. in Iowa prescribes. From what I’ve heard personally, Dr. S’s procedure takes 20 minutes to administer that amount. But in my case, it took 30-40 minutes to administer the full amount. My doctor said a person’s first introduction to clindy can be rough, so he advises oral treatment first – which, of course, I rejected 🙄 and now regret.

When I see him next month, I’m going to mention what you said, and maybe down the road he will try the IV route again, only much much slower and a lower dose. 😉

Lori

Maz
    Keymaster

@Trudi wrote:

Although I don’t test positive for babesia, I do test positive for the malaria plasmodia. I have had extremely severe (230/120) blood pressure and treatment has often raised it. I firmly believe my blood pressure is related to my infection.

Trudi, thanks for sharing this link again….yes, I do recall you mentioning this before and that you attributed your BP elevations to this particular bug.

Did you see Nancy Spiker’s post on Dr. S. F’s research on this peculiar new protozoal find of his, called FL1953 aka Protomyxozoa rheumatica? It’s Dr. F’s belief that this bio-film promoting organism may be at the root of persistence in Lyme patients…“unique protozoan organism that is found in people with CFS, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, and Rheumatoid Arthritis.”

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/243-dr-stephen-fry-on-fl1953

If you follow the link to listen to the radio show, you will hear Dr. F mention Dr. Brown and Road Back as being his inspiration to help rheumatic patients. 🙂

My new LLMD was discussing the FL1953 bug with me at my recent appt and mentioned EDTA treatments for breaking up bio-films and possibly introducing an anti-parasitic, like Ivermectin. I need to research this more before feeling comfy about this, however. My prime concern is breaking up bio-films too abruptly and unleashing whatever “lurks beneath” too swiftly for the body to handle. There is some discussion about this in research circles….that is, that bio-films may well be a dual-edged sword, both affording a protective barrier to virulent pathogens, but also somehow affording protection to the host.

I think this new research is definitely worth looking at more closely for anyone with “Lyme syndrome.” It’s probably way to premature to reach any conclusions on Dr. F’s research and it would need to be independently replicated by other researchers before being universally accepted. But, it did occur to me that he might well be onto something very big….what if we’re not just talking Lyme….sure, it’s becoming more clear that Lyme hijacks and disables immunity by setting up house in the lymphatics and waylaying macrophages, but what if some other previously unrecognized organism is what is causing persistence? And, what if a find like this could ultimately end all debate in the Lymelands? Wouldn’t that be something?

Here’s some blog discussion on all this for everyone’s possible interest:

http://lymebusters.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rash&action=display&thread=14939

Trudi
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Did you see Nancy Spiker’s post on Dr. S. F’s research on this peculiar new protozoal find of his, called FL1953 aka Protomyxozoa rheumatica? It’s Dr. F’s belief that this bio-film promoting organism may be at the root of persistence in Lyme patients…“unique protozoan organism that is found in people with CFS, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, and Rheumatoid Arthritis.”

Hi Maz–
    Yes I did. I also listened to the radio show, although that was a time ago and I would have to relisten to remember what was all said. Soooo much information out there!

My electro-dermal test does show that I have biofilms and they are reducing (albeit very slowly) on only the borax.

The chiropractor I am seeing also does muscle testing. She agrees that borax is doing me a lot of good. Can’t wait until it translates into good walking. We’ve just started with some adjustments and I think they will do me a world of good.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

nspiker
    Participant

My new LLMD was discussing the FL1953 bug with me at my recent appt and mentioned EDTA treatments for breaking up bio-films and possibly introducing an anti-parasitic, like Ivermectin. I need to research this more before feeling comfy about this, however. My prime concern is breaking up bio-films too abruptly and unleashing whatever “lurks beneath” too swiftly for the body to handle. There is some discussion about this in research circles….that is, that bio-films may well be a dual-edged sword, both affording a protective barrier to virulent pathogens, but also somehow affording protection to the host.

I think this new research is definitely worth looking at more closely for anyone with “Lyme syndrome.” It’s probably way to premature to reach any conclusions on Dr. F’s research and it would need to be independently replicated by other researchers before being universally accepted. But, it did occur to me that he might well be onto something very big….what if we’re not just talking Lyme….sure, it’s becoming more clear that Lyme hijacks and disables immunity by setting up house in the lymphatics and waylaying macrophages, but what if some other previously unrecognized organism is what is causing persistence? And, what if a find like this could ultimately end all debate in the Lymelands? Wouldn’t that be something?

Maz, I didn’t know you had switched LLMD’s. That’s a big move! I guess it’s good to get another perspective on things. I wanted to let you know that I’ve been busting biofilm with a suppository called Detoxamin. After being diagnosed with the FL1953, and having responded so strongly to all anti-malarial meds, it only made sense that this was one of the main culprits for me. Given that this protozoa is encased in biofilm, I decided that my next step would be to incorporate some additional biofilm-busting strategies. Also, I had plateaued at 75% improvement, and was stuck there for many months.

Detoxamin (http://oradix.com/categories/Detoxamin/) is a gentle chelator, and supposedly by breaking up the heavy metals, it also breaks up the biofilm. I started slowly with 1/4 suppository of 1500mg., and have worked up to a half. I have not used it as frequently as recommended, sometimes every three or four days. I will tell you that it has made a marked difference for me. Ever since beginning treatment, I have had these swollen bumps by my temples, that are obvious when I open my mouth wide. I think of it as brain inflammation. Since I’ve been biofilm busting, these swollen bumps have almost disappeared – nothing ever touched this inflammation. My overall wellness has improved on most days to almost 90%. I think the medication could only do so much, and what is left is hiding in the biofilm.

There are a few other products that I have also considered, and still may down the road. Someone who went to Envita recommended a soy lecithin K2 EDTA product for biofilm elimination called EDTA Liposomal (http://www.bio-genesis.com/productpages/liposomal-edta/liposomal-edta.html) and Interfase plus (http://pureformulas.com/interfase-plus-120-capsules-by-klaire-labs.html?CAWELAID=532163325).

I’m really excited about Dr. F’s discovery, and so grateful that we have doctors and researchers that are pioneers in trying to uncover the full spectrum of pathogens that contribute to what we call “lyme”. For those of us that were never bitten by a tick, and have negative IGenex results, it’s comforting to be able to see an actual picture of the protozoa and/or hemobartonella encased in biofilm. For me, it answers a lot of questions….

Let us know how you do with your new doc, and the new treatment that you decide. No one deserves more than you, to be done with all of this. 😉 !
    nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

@nspiker wrote:

I’m really excited about Dr. F’s discovery, and so grateful that we have doctors and researchers that are pioneers in trying to uncover the full spectrum of pathogens that contribute to what we call “lyme”. For those of us that were never bitten by a tick, and have negative IGenex results, it’s comforting to be able to see an actual picture of the protozoa and/or hemobartonella encased in biofilm. For me, it answers a lot of questions….

Nancy, thanks so much for the links and your very kind thoughts – you’re such a treasure! 🙂

Yes, I’m very excited to learn of new avenues of research and the bells were ringing when my new LLMD mentioned this particular bug and Dr. F’s work….”Ah-ha…this was the bug good ol’ Nancy had mentioned on the forum!” I do appreciate you mentioning this research as it might have gone right over the top of my head in the “new patient intake” process. There is always so much info to absorb when visiting a new doc with a different approach, even when there is a kind of short-hand when one has been at this a while. Yes, new doc has mentioned EDTA and his approach is to introduce things slowly – he wants to gauge what is working and what isn’t in this fun game of “crap-shoot!” 😆

What may be a very critical link-in to all this is how this particular protozoan infection enables fungi to proliferate in a symbiotic bio-film dance. One very useful med in the Lyme armamentum is Diflucan (Shardt Protocol), which is used primarily to block the P450 cytochrome in borreliosis. Well, what a turn-up for the books that this may also have efficacy for dismantling this protozoan’s bio-film defenses?

I’m doing so remarkably well at the moment that I really don’t want to rock any boats. However, my first IV glutathione push was an eye-opener. What an incredible detox tool in the RA/Lyme kit!!! I have been using glutathione-promoting supps for a while, but the IV push reminded me how “normal” could feel again. So, I will be working on fine-tuning my immunity now to keep the RA beast in hand for good.

Thanks again for chiming in, Nancy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.