Home Forums General Discussion Clindamycin – Ankle Swelling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ariel
    Participant

I started AP on October 13th, doing 5 days of Clindamycin IVs. At the end of the week, my ankles were swollen. I started the Minocycline at the end of the 5 day IV treatment. It’s been 3 weeks, and my ankles are still swollen. I also take Celebrex. I’ve tried elevating my feet and ice packs. Has anybody else had swollen ankles after doing the IV treatments? Any thoughts on what I can do to reduce the swelling? Will the minocycline eventually help with this?

kater
    Participant

Hi Ariel
    welcome to the site and to this path. I have SD not RA but will share what I have read here. I have done a year of Clindy IV and had no problem but didn’t have the type of inflammation that is present with RA. You are starting out very hard and heavy with that dose of Mino plus IV so it could be herxheimer reaction due to the bacterial die off but you really should check with your doc to make sure it’s not something else. Are you doing anything for detox? This is important and there are lots of ideas if you use the search window at the top. Taking plenty of probiotics? If it is a herxheimer reaction I am sure it will resolve with time but would check back with the doc to be sure that’s what it is. It sounds like he is an experienced AP doc if he is doing IV?? This is a very slow therapy –maybe the dosage is to high to start. Many people with RA start with much less–pulsed dosing of mino 100 or less mon wed fri. Take care and let us know how it goes. We care. I’m sure someone will add more
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Ariel
    Participant

Thank you for your reply Kater.

For detox I’m drinking about 100 oz of water a day and eating a super clean diet (plant-based, no oils).

My current (now old) GP does not support the AP. So, I’m going to be looking for a new doctor.

richie
    Participant

Hi A major side effect of celebrex is ankle swelling —
    richie

Ariel
    Participant

Richie,

Thank you for your response. I just realized that Celebrex could cause swelling just a few minutes before reading your post. I’m going to try to go to 1/day and see if that helps.

I’ve also been trying to call Dr. S this morning, but the line is always busy.

Ariel
    Participant

Dr. S is having me drop my dose to 2x/day on MWF. Hoping this will take care of it 🙂

Anonymous
    Participant

Are Ariels’s swollen ankles due to the toxins accumulated in his feet?
    Ariiel, that time in October did you do any detox?
    Linda L.

Ariel
    Participant

Linda, My ankles have been swollen since the 5th day of IVs. I drink a LOT of water everyday and eat a plant-based diet, with no oils. Dr. S said the swelling should subside with the reduction in Minocycline. I saw a previous thread where someone else had the same symptom and did the same thing, and it worked. In addition, Rich had mentioned the side effect of Celebrex is swelling. So, I’ve reduced that to 1x/day. My plan is to be off the Celebrex completely in the next couple of days, if possible. So, I’m hopeful!

kater
    Participant

Hi Ariel
    So glad you checked in with a reputable doc and changed the protocol. 😀 I do hope this helps along with slowly reducing the celebrex. The plant based diet is great, especially is your keep away from gluten. I am less sure about the “no oils” part as healthy oils are important for metabolic processing. Is this a new thing for you? I agree about lots of fluids for flushing toxins, but is the 100 oz a day new for you too? I wonder if you could be retaining fluid. A thought might be to try to reduce to the standard 64 oz a day and see if any thing changes. Just throwing thoughts out for your consideration and researching–that’s what we do here. Sometimes there are so many different things at play it’s like a giant jigsaw puzzle
    feel better soon
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Ariel
    Participant

Kater,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions.

I’ve been doing the plant-based/no oils diet (the McDougall diet) since September 1st. I also stay away from gluten. With regard to water, I was probably drinking around 64 oz previously but recently added more to help with detox. I do believe part of my swelling is water retention. I can kind of see it when I press on it. I believe the Celebrex contributed to this as well as not getting as much activity due to being so fatigued. I’m cutting the Celebrex and attempting to increase my activity, along with changing the AP. I’ll try to cut back on my water intake, too, and see if that helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.