Home Forums General Discussion Clindamiycin- advice please!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    zeljana
    Participant

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with clindamiyin especially for children and what would be the optimal dose when taken orally ?

Sholud we start with small dose ( 150 mg x2 Daily or 150 mg x3 ) or maybe it is best to follow the protocol but not IM but oraly.
    This quote is from historical protocol:

“Clindamycin IM – 300 mg. clindamycin can be administered intramuscularly (IM) once daily for one to two weeks followed by 300 mg. weekly, monthly or at 6 week intervals as needed and tolerated by the patient. Because it remains in the tissues longer, a lower dose is effective.”

We started yesterday evening 150 mg, that this morning 150 mg and now she is sleeping and I can not give her the third dose.
    ( I must say that I have noticed that she was better this aftrenoon, she could run and even crouch!
    Could it be just from this short time of use Clindamicyn? )

She is on Amoxicillin too, 3 x 250 mg Daily.

Thank you!

Zeljana

Maz
    Keymaster

@zeljana wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with clindamiyin especially for children and what would be the optimal dose when taken orally ?

Hi Zeljana,

You’re right that there is no info on the main site for pediatric dosing of clindamycin and doses would be different from adult doses and largely based on weight. As you know, we’re only fellow patients here and cannot dispense medical advice, but Drugs.com does provide standard info on oral Cleocin (clindamycin) pediatric dosing – just scroll down the page to find it.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/cleocin-pediatric.html

Nevertheless, to ensure the dose is correct for your daughter, it is probably a good idea to connect with Dr. S. and let him know your daughter’s age and body weight, as well as her current AP Protocol, so that he can advise you on appropriate dosing for her. All routes of administration of clindamycin for children would need to be titrated to the patient’s body weight and oral, IM and IV routes of administration would more than likely be different in terms of dosing and not equivalent.

Sorry not to be of much help on this, but it’s always wisest to check in with an experienced doc, if you can, with these types of things. Parents here might be able to provide insight on what doses they gave their children, but it would be a very individual thing in terms of body weight and other medications being taken.

Btw, in the case of adult dosing of oral clindamycin, although some patients may take it daily, it’s actually hard on the gut in the longer term and the way it’s historically been done is to give an adult 1200mg (600mg BID) one day a week (usually in addition to an oral tetracycline or other abx). There can be problems with C. Diff infection (risk is higher with orals than IVs) and so increasing probiotic intake is necessary to help prevent this.

zeljana
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Nevertheless, to ensure the dose is correct for your daughter, it is probably a good idea to connect with Dr. S. and let him know your daughter’s age and body weight, as well as her current AP Protocol, so that he can advise you on appropriate dosing for her. All routes of administration of clindamycin for children would need to be titrated to the patient’s body weight and oral, IM and IV routes of administration would more than likely be different in terms of dosing and not equivalent.

Thank you Maz,I have just sent email to Dr.S.

There can be problems with C. Diff infection (risk is higher with orals than IVs) and so increasing probiotic intake is necessary to help prevent this.

Do you Know is this related with duration of use or C.Diff infection can develop in general?

Thank you!

Zeljana

Suzanne
    Participant

It was frighteningly hard my daughter’s stomach and no better for her arthritis than azithromycin. It still scares me.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

zeljana
    Participant

@Suzanne wrote:

It was frighteningly hard my daughter’s stomach and no better for her arthritis than azithromycin. It still scares me.

Thank you Suzanne!

I have read your posts and you daughter was taking it for 6 months. Was it hard on her stomach immediatly or after some period of using it? Was she vomiting, have stomach pain?
    Which dose did she take?

I was thinking to giving it to my daughter not longer than 30 days.

Thank you!

Zeljana

Suzanne
    Participant

I’m sorry that I don’t remember her dose, and it is too far back to find easily in my notes. It was low enough that none of her other doctors raised concerns. What I remember was how many probiotics she had to take, and still always had frequent, loose stools. We used a good probiotic that the pharmacy ordered for us and it cost as much as her other medicines combined. She also ate yogurt daily and drank kefir smoothies. She never had normal stools and I lived in fear that it would turn to diarrhea and eventually c. diff. She didn’t feel bad, but I know it wasn’t good for her to always be in that precarious state. Azithromycin doesn’t bother her at all.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

zeljana
    Participant

@Suzanne wrote:

I’m sorry that I don’t remember her dose, and it is too far back to find easily in my notes. It was low enough that none of her other doctors raised concerns. What I remember was how many probiotics she had to take, and still always had frequent, loose stools. We used a good probiotic that the pharmacy ordered for us and it cost as much as her other medicines combined. She also ate yogurt daily and drank kefir smoothies. She never had normal stools and I lived in fear that it would turn to diarrhea and eventually c. diff. She didn’t feel bad, but I know it wasn’t good for her to always be in that precarious state. Azithromycin doesn’t bother her at all.

Thank you for this informations, Suzanne!

Zeljana

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.