Home Forums General Discussion Chest port not working…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kash
    Participant

I had a chest port put in a little over a month ago. Today when they came to change the huber needle, the nurse could not get the needle in or draw blood.

I have to go see a general surgeon tomorrow. Anyone had this happen and can they fix it without having to put in a new port?

Thanks
    Barb

Parisa
    Participant

Barb,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. Try Lymenet too, if you don’t get any response here.

Eileen
    Participant

Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear of the trouble your having w/your port. I did not have a port. I had mid and PICC lines which needed to be flushed with saline daily and with the use of heparin so the line wouldn’t freeze up. And, in some of my lines, this happened anyway. I don’t know if this is the case with ports. What I do know is that my dr. said to never ‘draw’ blood for labs off the lines, although home-health nurses prefer to to to this — it’s easier and more convenient.

Wish I could have been of more help. I’m hoping someone will chime in here that’s had experience with a port.

Wish you well.

Eileen

Kash
    Participant

Thanks for your responses. I am very careful to flush with extra saline and heparin.

I have a very big puppy, is it possible on one of our jaunts she pulled or jarred it?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.