Home Forums General Discussion Chagas disease new HIV/AIDS in the Americas

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BG
    Participant

Just read the following article regarding Chagas disease in the USA, described as the new HIV/AIDS in the Americas, which is especially interesting to me in that I have been tested for HIV/AIDS multiple times because my symptoms and blood work indicated the possibility of HIV/AIDS. The test results have always been negative. Kissing bugs have been confirmed in Iowa but I’m not sure they are the ones that carry Chagas disease.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/30/chagas-disease-tropical-illness-aids-hiv-america_n_1556749.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D165753

Barb

BG
    Participant

Did some more research. Chagas disease is in Iowa as well as other states to the south and southwest. It’s been confirmed in cats and dogs as well as mice, squirrels, and many other animals and there have been several human cases confirmed in Iowa. Most of the research and documentation has been done by the University of Iowa (human) and Iowa State University (animal) and a Texas university (animal). It’s presence has been published and broadcast (radio and tv) widely since at least March of this year but I found documentation of it in animals via research abstracts going back as far as 1996. The documents I found were pdf so I haven’t posted them. Just do an internet search of the terms “chagas disease, iowa, 2012” if you want to know more.

Barb

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.