Home Forums General Discussion Celiac Testing

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    m.
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

[user=732]m.[/user] wrote:

I think the improvements I felt going GF were gradual and somewhat subtle.

m, how gradual?

Kim
    Participant

Thanks m.,

Bottom line is gluten is probably not good for anyone.  I couldn't agree more that we need to do all we can to have a happy gut.

Interesting what you said about your thyroid improving since going GF.  My thyroid has been acting up for a few years and has actually gotten worse (probably unrelated) since eliminating gluten.  I've had nodules that they are watching (already biopsied) and now there's a new cyst they don't like the looks of that they want to biopsy.  I'm feeling so much better overall, but it seems there's always something, eh? :headbang:

Take care…..kim

A Friend
    Participant

Thanks m.,

Bottom line is gluten is probably not good for anyone.  I couldn't agree more that we need to do all we can to have a happy gut.

Interesting what you said about your thyroid improving since going GF.  My thyroid has been acting up for a few years and has actually gotten worse (probably unrelated) since eliminating gluten.  I've had nodules that they are watching (already biopsied) and now there's a new cyst they don't like the looks of that they want to biopsy.  I'm feeling so much better overall, but it seems there's always something, eh? :headbang:

Take care…..kim

Kim, first remember I have no science background except for the past 16 years of reading/researching, this is just thinking out loud, based on past gleaned information, and my own experiences. 

Could it be that you body is healthy enough to encapsulate organisms/waste materials to try to keep these harmless from your body?  If this is toxic waste/dieoff from parasite cleanse, the body may “feel” it needs to help wall off something. 

Our diet while on gluten grains naturally provides a place that encourages the growth/overgrowth of all sorts of unfriendly organisms when our immune system is already not functioning well.  (Did you read the post by me about the scientist/speaker about E coli in the cattle/beef industry because of this same type problem when cattle are fed large quantities of grains to fatten them up for slaughter, to make them weigh more for profit???  They are not designed to eat grains, but grass.) 

You said you are feeling better.  Could this be because the cleanses have helped your body do away with lots of different unfriendly organisms?  Again… can there be some excessive amounts in the thyroid area, and your body is trying to “encapsulate them to help protect you… sounds like part of our immune system, and maybe your immune system is able to do this now since your unfriendlies have been diminished???? 

Again, just thinking outloud… a liberal arts girl with no credentials…. 😕

AF

Edit… wanted to add this about cattle… can there be similarities to our gastro system's response to grains? especially if our gut has become compromised already?  In the article below is discussed how it is the “starch” from the grains that goes into (I believe it said) the bowel of the animal and this is where the real problem begins.  Also, a paragrah that follows discusses what happens differently when cattle eat hay and grass.  (Very, very interesting… and while we are not cattle, this helps my understanding about Dr. K's leaning toward all of her very ill patients probably need to be on a gluten-free diet in order for the gastro system/patient to heal. She has very good information on her web site about celiac disease and celiac syndrome.)

Cornell University (1998, September 11). Cattle Diets Could Control E. Coli Danger. ScienceDaily. Retrieved June 10, 2009, from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/09/980911075347.htm 

Karen R
    Participant

Hi all,

I noticed I am extremely irritable with starch in general and not neccessarily gluten. As I said before I was gluten free for over two years and did not see any difference. I would be ill with gluten free products as well . I also tested positive for celiac from enterolab and negative twice with the scope. I really think it all boils down to having more good bacteria in the gut than bad and this eliminated the sensitivities and inflammation. Just my take on it as I have done much experimentation. I am improving more quickly lately even with whole grain bread. Also, recently there was an article on the Mercola website reagarding pets and illness and it stated that giving dogs probiotics could eliminiate GI problems that lead to inflammation and arthritis. Great article! It applys to humans as well.

All the best,

Karen R

Maz
    Keymaster

My thyroid has been acting up for a few years and has actually gotten worse (probably unrelated) since eliminating gluten.  I've had nodules that they are watching (already biopsied) and now there's a new cyst they don't like the looks of that they want to biopsy.  I'm feeling so much better overall, but it seems there's always something, eh? :headbang:

Kim, I hear ya! I'm in the same boat re: thyroid nodules and am going through similar right now, too. I was interested to read AF's insights about the body possibly walling off remaining parasites post-parasite cleanse. The immunologist I saw last week commented that Hashimotos has been tied to viruses (it's also been tied to yersinia enterocolita).

Let us know when you're in for your biopsy, Kim. I've had it done, too, and was totally painless when they used locals before going after the nodules. A friend of ours just had a thyroid biopsy done and they did it without any local at all. He was in a good deal of pain, poor guy, needlessly. 🙁 

You'll be in my thoughts for this, Kim….I totally know how you feel.

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

Could it be that you body is healthy enough to encapsulate organisms/waste materials to try to keep these harmless from your body?  If this is toxic waste/dieoff from parasite cleanse, the body may “feel” it needs to help wall off something. 

You said you are feeling better.  Could this be because the cleanses have helped your body do away with lots of different unfriendly organisms?  Again… can there be some excessive amounts in the thyroid area, and your body is trying to “encapsulate them to help protect you… sounds like part of our immune system, and maybe your immune system is able to do this now since your unfriendlies have been diminished???? 

AF, you are right on target, as usual.  Not only do I believe the body can encapsulate organisms to protect us, I've seen it.  I will send you a PM about that. :sick:

Great article about the cattle and e-coli.  Seriously, our food producers have just gotten too smart for their own britches and they're killing us. :doh:   I try to eat only grass-fed beef and even very little of that.

Karen, that's very interesting that you were able to determine that starch in general, is a problem for you and not just gluten.  In a perfect world our doctors would be helping us with such problems, but for now, it's up to us.

Cherie
    Participant

[user=99]Karen R[/user] wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for all your input. I had the scope twice and negative for Celiac and yet the enterolab stool test shows positive. Very confused. I do think in my case the bacterial overgrowth in my gut mimics celiac symtoms. My GI doc says I am not celiac and that everyone at enterolab tests positive for celiac.  I seem to have trouble with starch and sugar in general rather than gluten.

Karen R

Hi Karen,

Do you believe what your doctor says about everyone at enterolab tests positive for celiac. I had the blood test done, and was negative. I don't want too waste money getting tested again if your doctor is correct.

Thanks!

Heather

Cherie
    Participant

Hi Kim,

I too have always had sores in my mouth but was never checked for celiac, it was'nt until recently I had the blood test which came back negative.What other signs did you have that made you think this might be celiac?

Thanks, Heather

Kim
    Participant

Hey Heather,

Another mouth symptom I had was, and I noticed this in pictures, was that my lower lip was thickened which looked like I had a wad of snuff tucked in there. 😛

At the time of testing I was testing for a lot of things and since so many people on this board had major gut issues I felt it was the reasonable thing to do.  I also did the DNA testing with Enterolab and turns out I got the gene from each of my parents meaning that I passed the gene on to my kids. They were both tested and both tested positive, even stronger than me.  My daughter immediately went gluten-free and recently re-tested and this time she tested negative, so she's been able to turn hers around, but will remain GF.  My son has chosen not to take it seriously and has every red-flag symptom in the book, and looking back I think has had many symptoms since he was a child.  I wish he would listen to me, but he's an adult and I can't make him.  He also had a blood test which was negative and has chosen to go with that result over the Enterolab result.  It's my understanding that the Enterolab stool test is much more sensitive and picks up problems long before the blood test or biopsy.

People who are really sick should be looking at everything that contributed to their illness and correct all you can so that your immune system can again protect you.

Take care……kim

Cherie
    Participant

Hi Kim,

I think I'll get the test done, just to make sure. Can't depend on the blood test.

Thanks, Heather

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ Celiac Testing’ is closed to new replies.