Home Forums General Discussion Burning sensation on skin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mlouise
    Participant

Hello! I have a question for SD folks.
    I have been on mino since June 2010. I have been feeling great. About 2 months ago I noticed a small patch of skin on the upper thigh that had a tingling, burning sensation. That patch has spread to the whole front of the thigh down to my knee. It is obviously under the skin because there is no visible sign of anything on the outside. Now it is getting to the point that if my dress touches that part of my skin, tears start to well up in my eyes – it is so painful and burning – almost like needles going in.

Has anyone ever had this problem? What is it? andWhat is causing it? Help!
    Louise

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Louise,

Have you talked with your doctor about this symptom? I wondered about shingles, which can cause very painful parasthesia symptoms, like burning, tingling and/or numbness (sometimes long after an attack – ever had shingles?). There are many causes of such symptoms, however, from poor circulation, to a slipped disc, to a Vit B deficiency or an infection, like Lyme disease. Usually, it’s neurological in origin, so something is irritating the nerves that serves a particular area of the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

Here is another link with some possibilities to consider and ask your doctor about:

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/thigh_burning_sensation/causes.htm

I have read of others with SD here who have suffered from parasthesias, so hopefully someone will chime in with some info for you. You can also try using the search box by typing in “parasthesia” to see what might come up.

2011Rio
    Participant

Hmmm….I’ve had something similar but not to that extreme. I just thought it was part of the RA. It has always and only occurred on the inside of my forearms. Again nothing visible on the skin and when touched I can really feel the stinging type sensation but not real painful. I also know of someone else with RA who says she has had a burning feeling under her skin like its on fire. I don’t know to what extreme or what areas besides her hands. I know this doesn’t give you an answer but maybe someone else will see this and we’ll get some other ideas. Hope it gets better for you.
    Tricia

Diagnosed w/RA 2011
    Diagnosed w/Lyme, Ehrlichia, babesia, bartonella, ebv Feb 2016
    metronidazole 500mg 1tab,3x a day M-F:
    doxicycline 100mg 1tab 2x a day; Alliultra 360mg 2x a day;
    Larrea; burbur; GSF 400mg 1tab 2x a day ; multi vit; b12 lozenge;
    vit c 2000mg daily; Actemra 10/2015-present (may come off since
    lyme diagnoses) Plaquenil 200mg 2x a day; Prednisone 4.5mg
    (weaning off); Baclofen 10mg bedtime; Bentyl 10mg as needed;
    fexodinadine 180mg daily; armour thyroid 45mg daily; omeprazole 40mg d

A Friend
    Participant

@mlouise wrote:

Hello! I have a question for SD folks.
    I have been on mino since June 2010. I have been feeling great. About 2 months ago I noticed a small patch of skin on the upper thigh that had a tingling, burning sensation. That patch has spread to the whole front of the thigh down to my knee. It is obviously under the skin because there is no visible sign of anything on the outside. Now it is getting to the point that if my dress touches that part of my skin, tears start to well up in my eyes – it is so painful and burning – almost like needles going in.

Has anyone ever had this problem? What is it? andWhat is causing it? Help!
    Louise

Louise,
    I don’t have an SD diagnosis. However, a problem common to all who have chronic illness can be for their bodies to have become overly acidic. I’ve read just in the last several days on this subject, and remember reading that such as you describe is common on skin of the legs. Wish I could remember the rest of it. However, I urge you to use the pH testing strips (I highly recommend the Nature’s Sunshine ones… they are not frustrating to use like I found the others.) If we have become overly acidic, all kinds of unfriendly organisms, viruses, etc. can evolve — and ugh! they all have excrement to dispose of.

Even when you begin using something very effective in supplying the needed amino acids (which are necessary for metabolic detoxification of the body), if you have a lot of organisms and acidic wastes, it can begin detoxing through the skin… and have seen this happen through the skin of the upper leg… and this was when a dose of ImmunoPro went from one to two scoops a day. So, if you choose to use such as that, recommend you begin very slowly. It is possible that your gut system is affected with yeast/fungal type overgrowth and the toxins are not being neutralized and expelled through the kidneys, and the body is having to store these wastes wherever it can.

Also, it is very possible that you are low on magnesium, so necessary for many of the coenzyme functions. I began using MagChlor (magnesium chloride liquid product) several years ago after I learned about it from Dr. Sherry Rogers, and from doing searches in the free online book by Dr. Mildred Seelig (foremost researcher on this subject; now deceased). The title is: Magnesium Deficiency in the Pathogenesis of Disease by Mildred Seelig.

EDIT: Louise, I just found notes about where I read about the rash explanation, and want to share it with you. I encourage you to read all of the link. I am leaving a heading or two, but especially wanted you to read about the detoxification through the skin, described as a urticarial event:
    2. http://www.drugs.com/drp/whey-protein-isolate.html
    Excerpt about this non-denatured whey protein isolate formula:
    IMU Plus

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Louise,

Does the burning sensation feel pretty much the same all the time, or does it vary? For example, is it worse on certain days, or at certain times of the day?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

mlouise
    Participant

I can’t recall WHEN exactly it feels really painful. But it does feel extremely painful at times. it is as though someone was sticking needles in the skin, but not on the outside on the inside of the skin. Very odd! Other times (right now) it is a dull pain as though it were black and blue and bruised under the skin. None of the sensations are on the skin surface. All are under the skin but before the muscle. I hope this makes sense.

I have been reading some of the information that Maz posted. I never had shingles so I do not believe it is that. I am inclined to think that the articles on nerve damage that I read by putting neuropathy in the subject box on this website might have something that seems close to what I am experiencing.

I can live with it, just so that it does not get worse or spread to any other areas.

Another thing is – sometimes it feels very hot almost feverish. I do not believe the actual skin is feverish, but it is, again, under the skin.

Louise

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Louise,

I suspect that one of the things you are taking may be responsible, possibly the minocycline. Please read this discussion; what Lori describes sounds very similar to what you are experiencing: Numbness and Tingling?

Although Lori never posted any follow-up messages, I remember contacting her by PM to see how she was doing and she told me that my suggestion had helped.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.