Home Forums General Discussion Bruising?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Eileen
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been on AP for a little over a year now. Chronic LD, etc. Lately, I’ve noticed odd bruises on my body with no recollection of bumping or injury? They are bruises — not EM’s. I discontinued taking Celebrex two weeks ago to see if this could be a contributing factor. These bruises are taking a long time to go away and they are not sore due to an injury.

Anyone had anything similar?

Thank you,
    Eileen

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Eileen – if you type “bruising” into the search box at the top of the front page of General Discussion, alot of past discussion on this will come up. Sounds like it may be discoloration due to mino – there is alot of info in those past posts on this – and Vitamin C can help with this. It could also be wise to check kidney function in case the Celebrex is indicated. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Parisa
    Participant

I’ve just been reading lately that Rutin can be helpful with bruising.

hi eileen, i have bruising in places too, sometimes where the top of my jeans has pressed on my tummy, other times for no reason, sometimes when i have pressed spot thats sore a bit firmer not much pressure though and they take ages to go away. i am not on the same meds as you though. ? i put mine down to mtx, and other pain meds, i also use a lot of garlic and ginger, i think they thin your blood…all the best kind regards ..di

SS
    Participant

hi Eileen:

I am on minocin 100 mg for nearly 10 years and i have mctd more towards lupus and i am in remission.

Couple of years back all of a sudden i got bruises on my le gs and thighs as if i bumped into and even my primary ignored it but he luckily took blood and the doc called midnight to let me know that my platelets are very low and asked to get admitted in the hospital and i did so.
    I am not scaring you or anyone just my experience that i am letting you know. Call your doc and let him know.

Thanks
    Regards
    ss

hmom
    Participant

Hi Eileen,

I’ve recently experienced the same type of bruising, mostly on my thighs, as my LLMD has ramped up the abx to address Bartonella. As the bruises have come with general itching on my legs first, then significant herx symptoms typical of Bartonella (like pain in the legs and heels), I’m suspecting that the two are related. The bruises do seem to last a while, but they fade to yellow on a pretty normal schedule and do go away. Everything in my body heals pretty slowly these days anyway!

My young daughter who is also being treated for Lyme and coinfections began treatment for Bartonella about the same time as me, and she has been getting them too. So it does seem quite suspicious. Have you considered the possibility of coinfection(s)?

SS’s point about platelets is a good idea, however, and I should probably have us both checked. I understand infections can cause a drop in them.

Eileen.
    Please ask your Dr. about the bruising if that is what it is, as it could be something that needs attention.
    The stain from the drugs does happen with some patients but is different from a bruise. It is possible you could be doing it yourself with the itching maybe, however best to check with something like this.Sounds like a bit of fungus there with the itching, best to ask Dr. about that as well. It is quite dangerous not to deal with it, get Dr. to help you. For some reason most do not do anything about fungus caused by the abx, unless you ask.

Valsmum
    Participant

I had a couple of blue spots on my feet that looked like bruises but it was not painful whenI touched it like a normal bruise. I took more vit. c and they disappered. This only happened to me on minocycline.

_Sheri

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

In many cases, the grey/blue effect is not actually bruising but rather hyperpigmentation, most likely due to a build up of iron under the skin, due to the chelating effects of mino (and all the tetras in fact). Vitamin C tends to help. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

jltntl
    Participant

Hi. I have recently had loads of bruises and no recollection of bumps or knocks. They looked a lot like finger marks over me. I wondered if it was due to the LD or RA and it was before I began on the abx I think. I had begun taking iron tablets so, like Lyn suggested, maybe it was due to the iron.
    …Julia

gordbentley
    Participant

i get these bruises too, all over my legs and thighs. should i be worried?

Maz
    Keymaster

@gordbentley wrote:

i get these bruises too, all over my legs and thighs. should i be worried?

Hi Gord,

Are you taking Vit C (buffered for stomach) daily? Vit C is thought to help prevent these blue/gray patches from occuring with minocycline. Most don’t want to give up their mino for this cosmetic nuisance, but some will switch out to doxy. See link below and section entitled, “Side-effects:”

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=183

As long as blood counts are normal, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about. 😉 Minocycline cleaves to minerals in the body, like iron, and these patches probably occur as the result of a knock to the skin where blood accumulates in a normal healing process. Vit C helps to metabolize iron in the body and possibly why it helps prevent these patches from occuring.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.