Home Forums General Discussion "Brandname" minocycline, which ones?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pauyen
    Participant

Just wondering if this is a viable option?

On another note, will an AP doc likely prescribe you minocycline during your first visit? Or would you have to wait for tests to be done to confirm your condition?

Cheers

judy cash
    Participant

Paul,

I think I am one of the lucky ones. I began AP early on, as soon as I was Diag. with RA,  however, I was sick and suffered quit a while before thay knew what was wrong with me. As soon as I started AP, after about 6 weeks of  terrible symptoms , I began to get better, and to this day 1 year and 5 months later, I have never had the severe pain again……… I am not at 100%, with fatigue,brain fog, etc…….but no severe pain…    I know that not everyone is this lucky, but I thought you might be intrested to know that it is possible.  I am very grateful for my progress thus far……..I will mention that I did have Clindy IV's, and I believe it is a good boost to the beginning of AP…If you have any questions that I can help you with , just ask. Best of luck to you on your road to recovery.

Judy

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I use Watson minocycline here in the U.S.  I'm not sure what brands are used in Australia.  I'm sure someone from Australia will respond soon.  AP doctors usually give a prescription on the first visit.

Best wishes to you.

Jan

Pauyen
    Participant

Thanks so much for your replies, it's such a comfort to have people around who know what your going through… offer their advice, stories of victory and support.

Judy: So glad things are going well for you. I believe I will be the same once I start AP's… call it a gut feeling 😀 . I would love to try the IV's, we'll see how we go.

Jan: Thanks, Im glad AP docs are likely to give prescription first appointment. Ive since found an old thread in the forum which states I cant get Mino online without a script (except some 'dodgy' Indian merchants, which arent recommended).

“Buylowdrugs.com” (Canada Co) was recommended by someone. Minocin (Brand) 100 tabs 100mg for $165 USD. Dont know if thats a good or bad price compared to Australia and its public health scheme here.

I suppose Im just over eager to start this treatment since learning about it and hearing all the great success stories here. I prefer to see a knowledgeable AP doc first, though I dont live near a major city. Hope to get to Melbourne next week (that sounds like such a long time 😛 )

Thanks again

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Paul – the buylowdrugs option is good cost-wise for people who want Minocin (the name of the brand of minocycline in the U.S.). The brand in Australia is Minomycin and it's made by Sigma (who bought it from Wyeth). It's about $23 or less on the PBS for 100 x 100mg tablets so is by far your best and cheapest option. If you have or can find an open-minded GP, he or she may prescribe for you. Mine did and I had great results for 5 years. (Link to my original testimonial below if you are interested).

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/community.display/display_id/490.html

BTW, if you are going to Melbourne to see the doc I think you may be thinking of consulting, please be aware that she often does not prescribe minocycline for patients these days, depending on what the testing shows up that the body requires (Naturopath testing). It's most often a combo of abx in low doses. I am surprised that you managed to get an appointment so quickly. Please dont think of seeing one without the other – the Doc will not prescribe for you until you have seen the naturopath. Please feel free to PM or email me if you want more info. Lynnie   

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Pauyen
    Participant

Thanks for the info Lyn, I read your testimonial last night, its a good read 😀

Dr D doesnt usually prescribe minocycline? 😯 Whats abx by the way?

I havent got an appointment yet (waiting on a return call – was told she was on annual leave), was just really hoping to get to see anyone on that list (in Melbourne) initially.

Id appreciate it if you could give me some hints on how to present my case to a doc here, there is one lady doc here I guess I could try first…

EDIT – Nevermind on abx defintion, just read your other post.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Paul – just my opinion, but I would strongly suggest that you take some time and make some initial calls before taking such a long trip. 

If you look at the Education section on our main site, there is a section called  Physician Packet. https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.sub/subgroup_id/30.htmlYou can print off any pages you think might be useful for your doctor from that. You could also take in a copy of the New Arthritis Breakthrough for her to read. Or you could talk to her about it and simply ask her to simply prescribe (rx) the Mynomicin for you and allow you to trial this approach, with you case managing your own treatment. It is very benign, frequently rx'd by docs for teenage acne, so there is not really much of a downside to them doing this. You would need to educate yourself about the treatment by doing this – you'll need to understand what to expect re herxing etc – and I believe that is a very good thing to do anyway. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Pauyen
    Participant

Thanks Lyn

Im not working at the moment due to the RA and Ive got somewhere to stay in Melbourne, plus a plane ticket only costs $130, what have I got to lose if I have to make that trip?

But now I think I will take your advice about seeing a doc here and treat myself with advice from people on this site (like yourself) and from my books… (if they give me the Mino). This will be an initial start.

I'll go in there with a six shooter and demand the Mino haha 😀

…Alright, just made an appointment in a few hours, wish me luck 🙂

Pauyen
    Participant

Yeehah, the doc wasnt convinced at all, but caved and gave me 60 50mg and said she couldnt give it to me through the Aust pbs because it wasnt approved for this (Arthritic use). Also said that was all she would give me. Oh well, five weeks worth to get me started today, Im VERY happy 😀

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Great start – but, if you tell her that minocycline is an approved DMARD by the ACR (American College of Rheumatology), she may change her tune, given that rheumatology here basically follows the American advice on these things. You can look that up by the way and print off for her. But, hey, whatever works, huh?;).

BTW, ensure you read up on herxing so you dont get blindsided by that. And, with inflammatory arthrides, it's generally thought best to start low and slow – maybe even 50mg on a couple of days a week. Inflammation from too much will be counterproductive and the herx may lay you out. Patience and remembering the slow road to wellness philosophy will serve you well. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Pauyen
    Participant

I wouldnt go back myself Lyn, really couldnt stand the arrogance a second time. I got a call from Dr in Melb (secretary) today, got a phone appointment on the 15th, see where that takes me, my preference really would be to see an experienced operator.

The dose Im starting is in line with the current protocols in the education section, Im just over 2 metres tall, 90 kgs and otherwise healthy. So I guess I'll see how that goes and modify it if/when required.

Paul

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Paul,

200 mg (2x100mg) of minocycline MWF may be too high for someone just starting out. You may need to cut that in half. You could even start out as low as 50 mg MWF, if necessary. Just thought I should warn you…

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi–Its a great price compared to the States –that is the pelleted brand -probably a great price for Australia also —-Watson minocycline while made by an excellent company is a generic while the Canadian minocin is the pelleted brand —same as minocin here in the states —
    richie

Pauyen
    Participant

Phil: Thanks for the warning, Ive read up about the herxing etc I think Im in the bracket were it should be ok (according to the protocol), if not I will lower the dose, cheers.

Richie: The 60 (50mg) tabs of minocycline I just bought for $18, cost only $6 here on our public benefits scheme.

So the equivalent is (if I can get the PBS from an AP doc here) minocycline 100mg = 20cents opposed to $1.65 per 100mg tab of that Canadian (pelleted) brand.

hope my maths is right :), but thats quite a difference.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.