Home Forums General Discussion Brand Name Minocin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    246bride
    Participant

Hi all,

I know it’s been stated on here that the only manufacturer of Minocin left in the US is Triax Pharma, which is true. I called several pharmacies (I live in OH) CVS, WalGreens, Meijer, Giant Eagle, Target and a couple others. None of them said they could get it, that their wholesaler doesn’t provide it. Then, I called Express Scripts…the mail in pharmacy option offered with my insurance (Anthem). I had a long conversation with a representative and she found that they can in fact get Minocin. For a months supply of 50mg pelleted capsules it was something like $330 and for 3 months supply it would be close to $800. I pushed back and said that I had a conversation with my insurance rep and they told me that the co pay for brand Minocin would be $30 for a month’s supply. The Express Scripts rep told me she would go investigate and put me on hold. She then came back to me and said, since it is non-formulary AND a brand name it would be $60 co pay for month and $180 for 3 month supply. However, she gave me a phone number and said if my prescribing Dr. called in and answered a series of questions the price could be reduced. She didn’t know by how much since it is dependant on several factors. My Dr. is supposed to call today. Once he confirms he has called, I call Express Scripts back to see what the new price is and order my Minocin! Truthfully, I would pay the $60 co-pay, but am curious to see how much more I can get it reduced.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case this might help anyone!

Parisa
    Participant

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, others will have similar luck.

PhilC
    Participant

My insurance is BC/BS, and I can get a one-month supply of Minocin for a $50 co-pay. I am reluctant to take advantage of that, though, since I know it would cost the insurance company a lot more than a generic, and I don’t want to raise any red flags. However, if I try generic minocycline and find that I can’t tolerate it for some reason then I will give Minocin a try. I am currently taking doxycycline and have never tried minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jbower79
    Participant

I got the Minocin (Triax) through Walmart. However, they told me the mfg no longer provided 50mg capsules which is what Dr. S wrote the script for since Abby is highly sensitive. I asked for the 50mg capsules because I am not very good at splitting the contents of the 100mg caps. Anyway, I found a coupon online (just google minocin coupons) that provided 3 month discount for Minocin as low as $10 a month. When I used it at Walmart, intially they told me it would be $150 for 60 100mg capsules. When I reminded them that I had the coupon, they checked again and said it would be $50. They could not provide a good explanation for why it wasn’t only $10 like the coupon claimed but I took the $50 and ran vs the $150.

I will make sure that I get the next 2 refills at that price as well then I will be looking for another coupon — somehow someway! Abby has not started the Minocin yet, but I know that she had a terrible time tolerating the generic.

Joyce

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.