Home Forums General Discussion Biotin or hair thickening supplements?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Luck20
    Participant

Does anyone take biotin to thicken their hair or any other supplements? I know thyroid can play a role but it wasn’t until this disease became obvious I noticed my hair wasn’t as thick. Maybe its the result of my meds? Any suggestions? My nails are super thick with ridges…not sure if that means something.

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

jasregadoo

I haven’t had this issue, but I will say that last year I was tested for a gene, HLA B27. Apparently people who are positive for HLA B27 are more likely to come down with arthritis, and they are also more prone to plantar fasciitis, and one symptom/indicator is small pits in your fingernails. I have HLA B27, plantar fasciitis, and arthritis. I have one or two tiny pits in my fingernails, not ridges, but thought I would throw this out there in case. Have you tried biotin? I took it once for my nails, which are generally very thin, but I didn’t really notice any improvement. I’ve had better luck with omega 3 for that.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Ridges in nails is just part of SD.My doctor told me that the broken capillaries in the nail bed are the cause as there is not sufficient blood that carries the nutrients for proper growth.I had some real hair disasters also.Every time I would start to shed like an old dog in the spring the hair would grow back and each time it was thinner and thinner to the point it looks like spider webs.Problem still is not solved despite full remission for over 15 years.Only things that helped me was adding a bit of iron and heavy doses of MSM.I gave up on biotin but maybe I was not taking enough .

Luck20
    Participant

Thanks for the reply jasregadoo, no I haven’t tried biotin yet. I’ve had planter fastiitis, but amazingly, zero arthritis.

Sorry about the hair Lynne. Its a hard thing to deal with on top of everything else. Thanks for the info on nail ridges! I’ve been asking people about it for years and no one knew anything. No matter how much I googled it, I couldnt find an answer for it. Their super thick and strong. It was just a couple ridges a few years ago and then it really increased as the disease got more active. Now, its all of them. I thought I originally got this disease 2 years ago, but its pretty disheartening to think I had signs a few years ago… I noticed an increase in allergies, headaches and food allergies then too. I’ll have tp look into msm and iron

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

Uptowngirl
    Participant

I take biotin. I started to take it years ago, when I was on a medication that can cause hair loss. I definitely believe that the biotin keeps my hair thick.

Reactive Arthritis/ Adult Rheumatic Fever due to strep throat. History of probable Lyme disease. Current medication: Amoxicillin and supplements. Daughter of the late Richie (scleroderma and AP patient for 19 years).

Luck20
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Uptowngirl. Its so nice to hear of things working for someone!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.