Home Forums General Discussion Beginning MTX, seeking others’ experiences

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sammi
    Participant

I have psoriatic arthritis and I have been strictly adhering to a gluten, dairy, sugar, sulphite etc free diet since March of this year, and after a month or so on the diet I felt much improvement in my joints. I commenced antibiotic therapy in April this year, and while any previously affected joints have not worsened – and some improved – I have had 3 more joints “go” since beginning the AP.

My AP doctor and naturopath guiding my treatment are concerned about my continuing joint deformities and have given me a little more time for a recently revised regime to work. If this fails they have advised I commence methotrexate. I have spent the last 20 years avoiding this drug and am now feeling quite dejected that it has still come back to this.

I’m just wondering whether there are others who have had to commence MTX after beginning the AP? And if so were/are you on it for very long? Any experiences shared will be most appreciated.
    S.

vinny
    Participant

I also have Psoriatic arthritis and had written a lengthy response which the system dumped. Will try again if the webmaster can fix his gliches.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sammi are you in Australia and seeing Dr D? It sounds similar to what was said to me.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Sammi
    Participant

Yes Lyn, that’s right I am.

Sammi
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,
    I just read your personal thread but couldn’t see any mention of methotrexate – did you not end up needing to take it??
    Thankyou
    Sammi

Sammi
    Participant

Yes Lyn, I am. I have just had a quick look at your personal thread but couldn’t see any mention of mtx – did you not end up needing to take it??
    Thanks
    Sammi

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Sammi, Dr D also recommended that. I too, go onto Mtx, something I did not want to do. At the time I was having a lot of trouble with my neck and didn’t have any rotation without severe pain. I have had my neck fused with titanium rods and now have no pain, I still take 10 mgs Mtx weekly and probably stay on it to save me from having any more damage to my joints.

I am a very active person and do sometimes wonder if stopping the Mtx wouldn’t be a problem, but am not game to try just yet. For me it’s quality of life and now for the moment I have my life back.

Good luck……

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

sammi – sorry just seen your question to me. I am travelling in the U.S. at the moment. No I never went on to mtx – a personal decision. Managed to get my protocol changed (through LW) so that the beginnings of R.A. that I was feeling in my hands (different to the Palindromic Arthritis that’s always been an issue in the large joints and tendons) disappeared after a couple of weeks with the change and, so far, has not returned.

I think these decisions are very personal for all of us.

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Sammi,
    @Sammi wrote:

I have psoriatic arthritis and I have been strictly adhering to a gluten, dairy, sugar, sulphite etc free diet since March of this year, and after a month or so on the diet I felt much improvement in my joints.

Suggestion: Stop eating all nightshade vegetables and all foods that contain them. They are: eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers of all kinds (e.g., cayenne, chili peppers, paprika, pimento, green peppers, bell peppers, sweet peppers, etc.). Foods that typically contain nightshade vegetables are catsup/ketchup and barbeque sauce (of course), salad dressing, “spice,” and mayonnaise (usually contains paprika). A few brands of mayonnaise do not contain paprika, so reading a bunch of labels can sometimes pay off.

Some additional reading material:
    The “No Nightshades” Diet

@Sammi wrote:

My AP doctor and naturopath guiding my treatment are concerned about my continuing joint deformities and have given me a little more time for a recently revised regime to work. If this fails they have advised I commence methotrexate. I have spent the last 20 years avoiding this drug and am now feeling quite dejected that it has still come back to this.

Are you taking an NSAID? Just to give you a few examples, some of the NSAIDs in common use are aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib (Celebrex), and meloxicam (Mobic).

Note: People who are allergic to sulfa (sulfonamide) drugs should avoid taking celecoxib.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

MLTelfer
    Participant

Please let me know if I am wrong on this, but I have been studying this subject for hundreds of hours. It is my understanding that MTX and DMARDS do not help with PSA. I have read some pretty scholarly books and articles. If anybody can point me in a different direction on this, please help.
    My son has had PSA for 1 1/2 years now and has been on antibiotic protocol with Dr. F for six months. He started on Celebrex a few weeks ago and that has settled his stomach. Meloxicam and other NSAIDS were really bothering him.
    He is telling me that he is starting to feel better and healthier lately. I am so hoping he is improving and things are working for him. This disease has been nothing but a long slow decline and I wanted so much more for him.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

sammi – you may want to check our DragonSlayer’s posts and story. I know he is pretty convinced that PsA is AS and that the HLA-B27 gene is involved. He would also propose cutting out nightshades. Hopefully he will chime in here. Meanwhile, you might want to use the search function (box at top of General Discussion front page) to look at his posts, to read his Personal Story and what has worked for him in this regard.

Be well! Lynnie

ellie6
    Participant

You may want to try the NSD (no starch diet). http://www.kickas.org/asfood.shtml
    It has helped those with both psoriatic arthritis as well as ankylosing spondylitis..

Sammi
    Participant

Thankyou to everyone for your suggestions, I will follow up on the advice provided. I am loathe to take mtx and will be looking at other alternatives first!
    Thankyou again
    Sammi

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi Sammi,

Sorry to hear about your joint deformities. I had a joint stuck and damaged for over two years go back to full motion, so hopefully your joint will heal.

Metheltrxate made my knees swell for two days after every dose. It made me very sleepy and it made my stomach upset. lastly, it made me feel blue, I asked my dr about it and he said other patients reported the same thing. It was not a good fit, so I stopped taking it.

I hope you get well.
    Take care

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Sammi,

@Sammi wrote:

Yes I do take ibuprofen, about 200mg a day (half a 400mg tablet).

There was a time when I wouldn’t take it all week and just needed a dose before going horse riding on the weekends, but that was quite some time ago and far more joints are affected now 😕

That is a very low dose. Most likely, it is doing you very little good, especially since you don’t take it consistently.

Minocycline alone will not stop joint damage, at least not while there’s active inflammation, and should not be viewed as a standalone treatment. Dr. Brown did not use antibiotics alone; he also used an NSAID to help control the inflammation. Sometimes he even used a corticosteroid such as prednisone or dexamethasone.

Please read this old post of mine for some additional info:
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48957#p48957

If I were in your situation, I would tell my doctor that I don’t want to go on methotrexate yet, that I would first like to try an alternative. I would then explain that Dr. Brown used NSAIDs in addition to antibiotics, and I’d request a prescription for an NSAID such as Celebrex (celecoxib) or Mobic (meloxicam).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.