Home Forums General Discussion BARTONELLA???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    carries
    Participant

Hi! I recently went to an infectious disease dr to see if an infection is what is keeping me out of remission. Here were my bartonella results: Keep in mind I was taking minocycline over a year when I got this test: could mino affected the results??? Could the bugs be in hiding due to the meds I have been taking over the year??? Then I had a TB test done and that came back indeterminate…so I have to have that one repeated in a few weeks.

My results were:

henselae IgM Ab < 1:16
    (NOTE)
    REFERENCE INTERVAL: Bartonella henselae Antibody, IgM

Less than 1:16 …… Negative: No significant level of
    Bartonella henselae IgM antibody
    detected.

1:16 or greater ….. Positive: Presence of IgM antibody
    to Bartonella henselae detected,
    suggestive of current or recent
    infection.

B. henselae IgG Ab <1:64
    (NOTE)
    REFERENCE INTERVAL: Bartonella henselae Ab, IgG

Less than 1:64 ……. Negative: No significant level of
    Bartonella henselae IgG antibody
    detected.
    1:64 – 1:128 ……… Equivocal: Questionable presence
    of Bartonella henselae IgG
    antibody detected. Repeat testing
    in 10-14 days may be helpful.
    1:256 or greater ….. Positive: Presence of IgG
    antibody to Bartonella henselae
    detected, suggestive of current
    or past infection.

Maz
    Keymaster

@carries wrote:

Hi! I recently went to an infectious disease dr to see if an infection is what is keeping me out of remission. Here were my bartonella results: Keep in mind I was taking minocycline over a year when I got this test: could mino affected the results??? Could the bugs be in hiding due to the meds I have been taking over the year??? Then I had a TB test done and that came back indeterminate…so I have to have that one repeated in a few weeks.

My results were:

henselae IgM Ab < 1:16

B. henselae IgG Ab <1:64

Hi Carries,

If I’m reading your results right, you’re negative on both IgM and IgG. Of course, this doesn’t mean a whole lot with standard testing. There are now 26 known strains of bartonella – hence why they are called BLOs or bartonella-like organisms – and the standard test is likely only testing for one. Dr. B. comments on this question on page 24 of his guidelines:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/pdf/LYMDXRX%202008-October.pdf

“It has been said that Bartonella is the most common of all tick-borne pathogens. Indeed, there seems to be a
    fairly distinct clinical syndrome when this type of organism is present in the chronic Lyme patient. However,
    several aspects of this infection seem to indicate that this tick-associated strain of Bartonella is different from
    that described as

Marianne Welch
    Participant

Hi Carries,

I am not sure what <1:64 means. Does that mean positive or negative or ind.? What did your doctor say?

I rely heavily on the Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease by Joseph Burrascano. (the site that Maz gave you http://www.publichealthalert.org/pdf/LY … ctober.pdf ) It has helped me a lot. I have copied varies pages for my AP doctor and it has helped my son and daughter to get rifamptin.

Both my son and daughter have the classic symptoms mentioned on pg 24. My son got the test for bartonella from a local lab and it was negative. It only tested for one strain and I consider the entire test unreliable. It was done to just follow protocal. Last year I checked into the Galaxy bartonella test as an option. I chucked that idea when I noted the price for the test was over $500.!!!

I recently sent a message to the Galaxy Lab and requested that the new state of the art bartonella detection tests be made available at a more reasonable price when it comes out. They are going to make their new test available very soon to physicians and patients for a clinical research study that will fulfill the requirement for their test to be okayed for human testing. Their response says it more clear:

Thank you for your interest in Galaxy Diagnostics. We are working with a new patented technology for Bartonella detection.

carries
    Participant

Thank you Marianne for your input. My dr said it was negative…but I thought it meant equivocal??? I was tested at Cleveland Clinic Downtown. That is great to hear your son responded well. I also got a clymidia test it came back negative…is that the same as cylamidia pneumonia?? I just want to make sure I am covering all grounds. I had them test me for a slew of possible infections. All came back negative …the fungal too……except my TB blood test came back indeterminate so I have to do it again. This is frustrating.

Marianne Welch
    Participant

Hi Carries,

I hear your frustration and am sorry. But the search must go on. Everything must be exhausted. I still have some strange things going on with me that are leading me down the path of research in different directions. AP has helped me a lot. In fact I would say it put me back in the 90% well state. But I have other issues that I don’t think it has helped. My issues are mainly skin and mucosal issues (especially tongue). I have had these issues BEFORE AP.

My understanding is that there are several strains of chlaymidia. Chlaymidia pneumonia causes many symptoms like chronic fatique and over 90% of those that have it also have fibromyalgia. It is not the one that is sexually transmitted, though. I learned a lot about it from the site Maz gave me Cpn.org.

I remember talking to you last year. I can’t remember what your symptoms were but I thought we had some similarities.

Carries, I have been doing some research lately on fungemia infections. I plan on starting a thread on it. What tests for fungal have you had and was it a specialized lab that did it?

Marianne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.