Home Forums General Discussion Bakers Cyst

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Valsmum
    Participant

I have had a few Bakers Cysts behind my knee over the past year. I was wondering if anyone has ever had their Baker Cyst tear repaired. They are painful and leave my calf in pain for a couple weeks each time I get one. I think it is probably something that I will just have to deal with, but if anyone has had success with a repair, I would like to know how it turned out. I have had ultrasounds done on my calf and the cyst was 6- 8 inches long once, along with a big fat ankle, very attractive πŸ™‚

stwig
    Participant

Hi Valsmum,
    I can totally relate to your problem. I have a chronic issue with Bakers cyst in the back of my left knee. Last week my calf got so sore it felt like a bruise the length of a football. When my ankles swell so bad we call them “cankles” as they sort of look like part of my calf has slid down into my ankle.

I saw a orthopedic surgeon about my knee a couple years ago, and he said that the Bakers cyst was the result of having osteoarthritis in my knee. My MRI showed no cartilage remaining in my knee. He said that the constant bone collisions result in inflammation fluid that has to go somewhere, and it pushes through the back of the knee. The doctor said that there is nothing to be done to remove the cyst, just rest to let the swelling go down. I asked him if I would be a candidate for a knee replacement surgery. He said no as I have two strikes against me. He said that I was too young (I was 48 at the time), and that since the artificial knees only last about 10 years, they don’t want to automatically set me up for needing a second surgery for a new replacement when I am almost 60. The other thing he said was a strike was the fact that according to him “using Minocycline for my RA means that I am not even treating my RA” He started that he is not about to invest his time on a surgery when the patient obviously does not even care about getting better. Needless to say, I gave him a piece of my mind, asked for my MRI films, and stormed out. (Well as fast as I can “storm” any where).

Cheers, and I wish you relief.
    Starla

Valsmum
    Participant

I laughed at the “storming out” as fast I could storm out. That is funny, I don’t move very fast either. These Bakers Cyst do feel like a giant bruise, mine are like you describe, the length of a football and I get gorgeous cankles too. Last year I had one during the summer and I was embarrased to go to the pool, but I went anyway.

I haven’t heard of much success at repair of these things, oh well.
    Take care and thanks for the bit of information, always helps.
    Sheri

Eva Holloway
    Participant

that was the chuckle of the day; πŸ˜† πŸ˜† storming out as fast as you can storm. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

My orthopedic doctor never questioned me about the Mino and Biaxin. I told him if he wanted to know why I was taking it to talk to the doctor that released me for surgery. That was the end of it. I have let other doctors know it is my choice and I have done research and I would gladly share all this info with them. Lot of reading material, LOL they turn that down and I still see them. Yes they have made me mad but after my three years listening to doctors telling me I need to take certain medication to get well and I was getting sicker by the month, I will not let them ride rough shot over me again. I will do my research and hand it to them if they insist on their way. πŸ™„ πŸ™„
    Yes I have fired a few doctors and it felt good because I knew I wanted to get well.
    Eva πŸ™‚

Eva Holloway

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.