Home Forums General Discussion at a crossroads

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote:

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

Joe has been a long-time advocate of such as Enbrel.  He has written numerous times that his wife has done well on it.  All of us are very happy for her. 

Not exactly.  My wife is on Humira, not Enbrel, and I only advocate for people finding what works for them.  I don't recall ever saying “you should try this or that…”

Joe, sorry for the mistake in name of her med. My recall isn't what I'd like it to be. and I associate the Humira and Enbrel together, though there may be differences.   

Another thought just now that I want to admit to — sometimes we can be in such intense pain for extended periods of time, that we just want it to be “all better …NOW.”  I'm recalling one incident after I had been doing well for almost 7 years.  The sudden onset was not just painful, but sudden and excruciating… and ongoing.  I was prescribed a pain med (Bextra) to control the pain, which then took 30 minutes to take effect. 

It was later taken off the market because of problems reported.  A confession here by me:  If I had that type of pain again, regardless of its being taken off the market, if I had no other options, I would very probably get out the unused Bextra and take them again.  I believe there are times we make up our own minds to do what we feel we have to do.  But, there's the inate detective spirit in me that keeps prodding me to find the reasons behind my problems, and I've always believed there is a healthy answer, and if I keep looking, I can find it. 

AF 

Parisa
    Participant

A Friend,

Your can do attitude and determination to find out the cause of your illness and truly treat it kept me going in the dark days when my husband wasn't responding to his treatment protocols. 

Joe M
    Participant

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

I believe there are times we make up our own minds to do what we feel we have to do. 

I could not agree more.  Well said. 

kasdance
    Participant

Hi there,

I was on Humira (didn't work) and Enbrel for a short period of time. The Embrel was working great until i had an allergic reaction to it, now I am scared to try anymore biologics. I am meeting with an AP dr this Tuesday and am hoping this treatment works!!
    ~Kristin

A Friend
    Participant

Parisa,

Your post has left me without words… I'll bet you can't believe that!  lol 

Glad my obstinance has been of help. 

Thank you,|
    AF

APbeliever
    Participant

I was told to take enbrel by my rheumy. He said if this does not help you we can try other biologic dmards since Metho was not working. You have to do some research on it. Enbrel and other biologics have a lot of side effects in the long vs AP therapy. However, it all depends on each individual. Lately, I am also seriously thinking about the enbrel route also due to intense pains which I tried to get rid of using supplements and Minocycline(recently started 100mg dose 3 times a week since last month ) but it does not help at all. NSAIDS are not helping either and it seems RA is rearing its ugly head after a long time in remission. I tried MSM and all the supplements recommended by folks here. It seems all treatments work for a few days or weeks and then the body adjusts to it and pain comes back. Read also http://www.askapatient.com to get advice.

APbeliever
    Participant

One comment on askapatient.com. Dont know if it was put by the drug company or …

“If you are reading this, I want to urge you to please give Enbrel a try ASAP! I can't tell you how scared I was to go on this drug after hearing and reading a ton of websites, including this one, about the side effects of taking Enbrel. However, I was in so much pain and agony from RA & OA that I thought, well, if I have to die from the side effects, I hope I die without feeling pain from RA &OA from taking Enbrel. I have not had one side effect and actually feel better than I did before I even got RA & OA!!! I know everyone is different, but, I had tried everything known to man to get relief to no avail. I was really scared the first time my husband gave me the injection and was having a small anxiety attack. However, after the injection, it was like a miracle, I couldn't believe it was happening, I felt instant relief in my joints!!! I have been on it since October, 2009 and it is January 2010 and I feel fantastic!!! I still get a flareups in my hands and right elbow once in awhile, but I just take a Naproxen and a Hydrocodone and the pain is gone instantly and doesn't return for a couple of months. PLEASE TRY IT TODAY AND DON'T BE SCARED ANYMORE!”

A Friend
    Participant

Parisa,

How is your husband doing now? 

AF

Parisa
    Participant

A Friend,

My husband is about 90% back to normal and the 10% that isn't is very tolerable.  He exercises fairly regularly including an occasional jog which is an absolute miracle considering the extent of pulmonary fibrosis and muscle loss he had before.  He has rebuilt quite a bit of the lost muscles although there is still some room to go. He has gone from severely underweight to having a belly (which I love).  Nothing like seeing someone whither away to make you appreciate a little extra flesh.  He has been off of antibiotics  and on antimicrobial herbs (and IVIG) now for about a month and so far is holding his own. 

Kim
    Participant

WONDERFUL! 😀 

For those that don't know Parisa's husband's history, he was one sick puppy for a long time, but they never gave up.

Take care…..kim

A Friend
    Participant

Yes, Yes, Parisa.  How sweet it is!!!  I'm so happy for both of you. 

AF

APbeliever
    Participant

Joe, so how is your wife's progress on Humira? Does she feel pain ? Any infections ? side effects with Humira? Lately, I am leaning towards using Biologics since I want to start my life again. I want to be able to exercise and do all the things I was doing before this dreadful disease started 18 months ago. Every now and then, I have to restart my Celebrex treatment and I really hate all NSAIDs since my body has all sorts of side effects on them. Mino is good but it is not 100 % effective so far. I have been advised not to use Zithro or Clindy due to liver problems.

Joe M
    Participant

[user=1212]APbeliever[/user] wrote:

One comment on askapatient.com. Dont know if it was put by the drug company or …

“If you are reading this, I want to urge you to please give Enbrel a try ASAP! I can't tell you how scared I was to go on this drug after hearing and reading a ton of websites, including this one, about the side effects of taking Enbrel. However, I was in so much pain and agony from RA & OA that I thought, well, if I have to die from the side effects, I hope I die without feeling pain from RA &OA from taking Enbrel. I have not had one side effect and actually feel better than I did before I even got RA & OA!!! I know everyone is different, but, I had tried everything known to man to get relief to no avail. I was really scared the first time my husband gave me the injection and was having a small anxiety attack. However, after the injection, it was like a miracle, I couldn't believe it was happening, I felt instant relief in my joints!!! I have been on it since October, 2009 and it is January 2010 and I feel fantastic!!! I still get a flareups in my hands and right elbow once in awhile, but I just take a Naproxen and a Hydrocodone and the pain is gone instantly and doesn't return for a couple of months. PLEASE TRY IT TODAY AND DON'T BE SCARED ANYMORE!”

APbeliever – Actually this post sounds like something we could have written.  I know many of you think biologics are some big pharma conspiracy, but the truth is these drugs were developed by dedicated scientists using cutting edge technology.  One of the developers was a woman whose grandmother was afflicted with RA.  So there are many good people working in pharma, and biologics work for many people.  Not everyone of course, what RA therapy does? I for one am glad there are many more choices than there were 20 years ago. 

APbeliever
    Participant

Actually Joe, several patients at my rheumy's office confirmed this statement. They all said Enbrel or Humira was a life saver for them. But some did have some really bad side effects with them which got me a little scared.

PhilC
    Participant

[user=1212]APbeliever[/user] wrote:

Lately, I am also seriously thinking about the enbrel route also due to intense pains which I tried to get rid of using supplements and Minocycline(recently started 100mg dose 3 times a week since last month ) but it does not help at all. NSAIDS are not helping either and it seems RA is rearing its ugly head after a long time in remission.

APbeliever,

When did your RA symptoms start? When did you start minocycline and how long did you take it? And is there a reason you stopped taking it?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘ at a crossroads’ is closed to new replies.