Home Forums General Discussion Aspirin for candida biofilm?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    laurawm
    Participant

Has anyone ever heard of this? The following study claims that regular aspirin (and other NSAIDS to a lesser degree) intake can inhibit candida biofilm reproduction by up to 90%. I have not been taking NSAIDS due to the fact that I have not wanted to inhibit the prostaglandins needed by my gut to heal it’s own lining – but this is quite convincing considering the monster that is candida. I do at time take white willow bark which is the foundation for how aspirin was developed.

http://aac.asm.org/content/48/1/41.full

Laura

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi Laura,
    Does it say how much aspirin per day to help prevent candida?

They don’t like us taking aspirin here, but I take a low dose as a precaution and have for years.

Rosemary

laurawm
    Participant

Hi Rosey,

The article says 70% (perhaps I misread it originally thinking it said 90%) candida biofilm inhibition was achieved at 50 to 200 uM or standard therapeutic dose (I imagine this would be the max daily allowance…). Twenty percent inhibition was found at 50 to 75uM. Below 10uM had no effect. Apparently candida depends on making a type of its own prostaglandin to reproduce and aspirin is most effective in inhibiting this specific candida process of all the NSAIDS. See below:

“Over 70% inhibition was observed at aspirin concentrations between 100 ?M and 1 mM (Fig. 1). Lower concentrations (50 to 75 ?M) produced only about 20% inhibition, while 10 ?M aspirin had no effect on biofilm formation. Aspirin concentrations of 50 to 200 ?M can be achieved in humans by the use of therapeutic doses of the drug (34, 35), suggesting that the antibiofilm effect observed in vitro might also be relevant in vivo.”

Best,
    Laura

cavalier
    Participant

50 to 200 uM – is the uM is this the same as Mg’s ?

Definitely aspirin I take the coated type is good for slowing down prostaglandins & inflammatory benefits – it maybe due to the ability to break up the biofilms. I take one daily for helping to keep me from clotting & for fighting inflammation one of the best things one can do.

Jill

enzed
    Participant

During my recent appointment with the rheumy, he told me he’d just returned from a conference in England. I asked what insights or breakthroughs were discussed at the conference that might help those of us with SD. He said there was evidence presented to the conference that taking low dose aspirin every day has helped patients with Raynauds, by effectively thinning the blood. He added it to my other Raynaud’s medication and I’m now taking low dose aspirin daily.

Maz
    Keymaster

Laura, thanks for sharing this interesting research! Interestingly, Dr. Brown also suggested aspirin in some instances and probably didn’t know of the bio-film busting props of this drug at the time.

For those unable to use aspirin, systemic enzymes can be a safe substitute and these have similar properties with a wide array of uses.

In the case of sticky blood, systemic enzymes help break down fibrin, which is what causes blood to clot. In the case of scar tissue (as with scleroderma), systemic enzymes can help to reduce skin thickening. Systemic enzymes are also supposed to help with reducing fibrotic tissue, including lung and breast fibrosis and helping to break down arterial plaques. Integrative doctors are also using systemic enzymes to break down bio-films. So, in effect, systemic enzymes may provide a safe, long-term solution to treat bio-films and to help with other health issues, such as sticky blood.

The following articles are selling a product (which is always worth noting when looking at articles), but they offer a comprehensive overview of the actions of systemic enzymes.

http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalzym/enzymes.html

http://www.arthurandrew.com/human-formulas/neprinol/faq/

http://biomediclabs.com/inc/sdetail/serracor_nk_sebkinase_150___300_capsules_/30/22463?gclid=CIXGtLmt_rcCFUye4Aodw2EADw

http://renewalenterprises.com/howsyenwotoc.html

“The proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase was shown to enhance the killing activity of the antibiotic Ofloxin in cultures and to prevent the formation of biofilms.[5] This prevention of biofilms could become very valuable in treating these problem infections.”

I’ll always recall how a now-retired volunteer with MCTD shared here that her Lyme doc was suggesting she take regular coumadin shots to help thin her blood. She was determined to try to avoid this drug and asked for time to try systemic enzymes, which worked really well for her.

If someone is already taking something that has blood-thinning properties (meds or supps), it’s probably not a good idea to use systemic enzymes, as too much blood-thinning is not a good thing either. So, for anyone who has a lot of inflammation, has been tested for sticky-blood and is looking for a safer alternative to help with this and also to help break up bio-films, then, after checking with one’s doctor, this could be a good solution. Whatever method is used for blood-thinning, though, it’s always a good idea to be regularly monitored by a doctor to ensure blood-clotting times are within normal range.

Just thought it worth a mention for anyone who is considering aspirin, because for rheumatics, who may also be on drugs. like prednisone or other NSAIDs, the risk for stomach ulcer bleed-outs, strokes and other issues related to blood-thinning are increased. Also worth noting that any time someone works on bio-film busting, whichever method is used, bugs are being released from this slimy matrix and more susceptible to abx…so herxing may ensue. This could also be why some folks may feel worse and like they’re in a vicious cycle when using some NSAIDs, because these do thin blood and likely also have some effect on bio-film busting…so, while they work to reduce pain and inflam, they may also be increasing pain levels and the need for their use over time.

enzed
    Participant

@enzed wrote:

During my recent appointment with the rheumy, he told me he’d just returned from a conference in England. I asked what insights or breakthroughs were discussed at the conference that might help those of us with SD. He said there was evidence presented to the conference that taking low dose aspirin every day has helped patients with Raynauds, by effectively thinning the blood. He added it to my other Raynaud’s medication and I’m now taking low dose aspirin daily.

Need to add that I took aspirin for a week or two on the advice of my rheumy but my stomach reacted negatively to it so I stopped taking it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.