Home Forums General Discussion Artritis diagnosed in knee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kash
    Participant

I went to the dr because my knees hurt. Blue Cross would only pay for one knee-the worst one- to have an MRI.
    The nurse called, not the dr, and said I have advanced old age arthritis and the dr wants me to go to PT.
    First of all, I have to have a home health nurse each week to change my port needle. I am not able to go to
    Phsyical therapy….I am sure they have people that come out, I will have to find out.

My question is, I have had Lyme since June 2009. I didn’t have knee problems until about a year ago.
    My elbows and hips hurt too-but only the knee was diagnosed. Is this from Lyme or old age (I am 54)
    I know you all are not doctors, just want your best guess or personal experience.
    I see my LLMD next week, I will run it by him….

Thanks
    Barb

Todd WI
    Participant

I’m not sure what “advanced old age arthritis” is. I’d guess they are talking about Osteoarthritis and that the MRI of your knee showed inadequate cartilage, possibly causing some bone on bone type action. I don’t think Lyme has been linked to Osteoarthritis, but I could be wrong.

Your signature line calls out Levaquin. It can cause tendon problems. If you MRI showed tendon issues, then I’d start to wonder if it might be was a side effect of Levaquin, assuming you are still taking it.

Todd

Eileen
    Participant

Hi Kash,

Sorry to hear about your knee. I have a bum knee, too. My hips have pain as do many other joints in my body. And, no, I don’t call it “old age arthritis” at 54. That’s not old. It’s called osteo. Osteo. is from regular wear and and tear. You have Lyme (I too). I have a combo. of osteo., Lyme arthritis and supposedly PsA. Keep in mind I didn’t abuse my body to the normal wear and tear as my knee blew out at 46. I’ve struggled w/LD for 10 yrs. now. Unfortunately, MRI’s cannot tell you what kind of arthritis you have. They are not specific. They just show ‘arthritic changes.’ It could be osteo, or L/arthritis, or any other kind for that matter. Or a combination. Mine is advanced as well. TKR needed at some point but am not in a position at this time in my life to take it on.

One thought comes to mind, though. Have you considered having synovial fluid (for culture) withdrawn from your knee to see if you have ‘inflammatory cells?’ That will give you a clearer indication of what type of arthritis is in there. Typically, after being on antibiotics it won’t show what kind of inflammatory cells are in there, just that it shows inflammatory cells. I know, I know, it’s just one more thing to have to pursue. PT did nothing for my knee, I wore a brace for a little time. More of a hassle than what it was worth. I’m 50 and don’t look at myself as ‘old age’ arthritis. We’re not old. 😉

Also have you considered Synvisc to patch you up to get you over the hump? Pleased to see that you are on I.V. I did I.V. for a long time. As to the Levaquin, I don’t see the logic why any LLMD would prescribe it with joint involvement, especially with the risks associated with connective tissue, muscle, and cartilage issues. I used Levaquin some years ago from my LLMD and the pain in my body and joints was relentless. I snapped myself off it really fast. I truly believe it damaged my tendons, cartilage, etc., etc. Patients w/LD are worn, especially if you weren’t one of the ‘lucky’ ones that had a prompt and accurate dx.

Take it slow. PM me if you need any more help.

Be good…and laugh along the way. It’s good for the spirit when you have all this to contend with.

Eileen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.