Home Forums General Discussion Artificial eye drops

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SS
    Participant

Hi everybody:

I have been using minocin for the last 14 years and have MCTD.
    I am in remission now and using artificial tears forSS syndrome.
    The brand that I was using is not available any more tried some of them but has burning in the eyes.
    Can any one recommend a brand that you are using so that I can try.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

sandrabonfield
    Participant

Hello SS
    I am using drops called optive. I use it several times a day
    sandra

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@SS wrote:

Hi everybody:

I have been using minocin for the last 14 years and have MCTD.
    I am in remission now and using artificial tears forSS syndrome.
    The brand that I was using is not available any more tried some of them but has burning in the eyes.
    Can any one recommend a brand that you are using so that I can try.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

Hi SS,

I also have Sjogren’s, though in remission at the moment. My doc had recommended I use the single use type, Refresh Plus, that comes in vials, they do not have preservatives, so are less likely to cause issues like burning. I have not used them in a while or any drops, but they worked pretty well at the time.

What supplements are you using to help out tear production? There are some that can be very helpful, also specific hormones can greatly influence both saliva and tear production, have you looked into hormone replacements? Eye drops are just to get you by, but you have to address the gland destruction.

John

SS
    Participant

Hi John:
    Thank you for the information and I will use the specific brand you have mentioned.
    By the way you have mentioned that the sjogren’s is in remission.
    I am really interested to know what therapy was it that put you in remission.
    Please let me know and you have also mentioned about HRT. Let me know about that also.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

SS
    Participant

hi John:
    I forgot to mention the supplement I am taking for it is ‘ Biotin 1000 mcg ‘ and it helps me to bring down the ANA of SS .
    I also used hypo tears as I already mentioned it is not available now.
    Thanks
    SS

SS
    Participant

Thanks Sandra I will try.

thanks
    SS

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@SS wrote:

Hi John:
    Thank you for the information and I will use the specific brand you have mentioned.
    By the way you have mentioned that the sjogren’s is in remission.
    I am really interested to know what therapy was it that put you in remission.
    Please let me know and you have also mentioned about HRT. Let me know about that also.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

Sure, what symptoms bother you the most, just eyes, or do you have dry mouth issues also that has not resolved, anything else? I have Primary Sjogren’s, had pretty much everything so it is tougher. Since yours is not primary, you should have an easier time of it. For HRT, makes a big difference whether you are a man or woman, taking the same supplement can cause different hormone levels to rise for a woman than a man, ie DHEA. Let me know.

SS
    Participant

hi John:

Thanks for the reply.
    As you said I have primary sjogrens and the ANA for it was high. My mouth and eyes were always dry.
    I started taking Biotin supplement for it and it has helped me a lot in symptoms and also the ANA has come down.
    I will also look into the HRT.
    Thanks
    Regards
    ss

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@SS wrote:

hi John:

Thanks for the reply.
    As you said I have primary sjogrens and the ANA for it was high. My mouth and eyes were always dry.
    I started taking Biotin supplement for it and it has helped me a lot in symptoms and also the ANA has come down.
    I will also look into the HRT.
    Thanks
    Regards
    ss

If you have Primary Sjogren’s then you are pretty much the same as me. For dry eyes, you need more estrogen, in particular estrone. You can supplement with Phytoestrogens. I have seen a supplement from Italy that has 3 ingredients that are made for dry eyes, it includes the Phytoestrogen, fish oil and ALA. . Also use plenty of NAC, that helps too.

For dry mouth, you need androgens, in particular DHT. Using just regular Testosterone will make things worse, so stay away from that. Also CoQ10, 100 mg, will help for dry mouth, it takes a few weeks, but it works. Drinking plenty of Green tea is helpful or take the EGCG extract, that is even better. Getting DHT cream is tough, you may be able to get a script from an endocrinologist to compound it, or otherwise you can purchase it from an overseas pharmacy. If you need more info let me know.

John

SS
    Participant

sorry John I do not have primary sjogrens by mistake I did not type “NOT “
    Thanks for your information.
    ss

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@SS wrote:

sorry John I do not have primary sjogrens by mistake I did not type “NOT “
    Thanks for your information.
    ss

These treatments are still valid, if fact they will work better for you, since Primary Sjogren’s is tougher to deal with.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.