Home Forums General Discussion Arava

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Char M
    Participant

Does anyone take Arava? Just saw Dr. L, Dr. F’s associate, he thinks my sed and crp have been hovering too long and thinks I should try Avara. I filled the script but now I’m a little leery to take it. It says it can stay in the body up to two years after stopping it. His reasoning made sense in the office but now I’m Not sure what to do.
    Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

JohnnyMax
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t have RA and had never heard of this one, but did a quick lookup. Seems moderately effective in inflammation and slowing down destruction, but kept finding it could cause liver issues in some. Found this in Wikipedia …

Hope this information can help you make an informed decision, good luck.

“Arava is a potent drug comparing favourably with other DMARDs regarding the efficacy as measured by improvements on the ACR scale. Leflunomide met the ACR20 criteria in up to 56% of patients; most other drugs (e.g., methotrexate alone, sulfasalazine, TNF-inhibitors (infliximab, etanercept, and adalimumab), the latter drugs also in combination with methotrexate) reach values from 20% only up to approximately 50%. Arava was withdrawn in clinical studies in 36% of patients due to different reasons (intolerable side-effects, lack of efficacy, unspecified reasons); the incidence was not higher than observed in the methotrexate control group. However, postmarketing data regarding the high incidence of severe liver damage, serious myelosuppression, profound immunosuppression leading to serious or even fatal infections, the possibility that Arava is a human carcinogen, and the occurrence of interstitial lung disease has led to the forming of patient groups in the USA and Europe, for example, supported by safety aware physicians. These groups call for the local or worldwide ban or discontinuation of Arava”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leflunomide

Char M
    Participant

Thanks JohnnyMax. Sounds kind of scary.

richie
    Participant

DR T who is now retired up at Harvard used Arava in conjunction with minocycline for some cases of RA –for my money he walked on water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Char M
    Participant

thanks richie! your comment helps

richie
    Participant

By the way the folks you are seeing in Calif. are tops –Originally there were three doctors who were outstanding in their treatment of rheumatic disease –the East was DR T. –Midwest is Dr S and west coast is DR F. —Awhile back while there were other excellent doctors –these three doctors had super reputations —Personally I think you are going to a super doctor –if I ever relapsed I would consider him even though its three thousand miles away { Long Island }
    Richie

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@richie wrote:

DR T who is now retired up at Harvard used Arava in conjunction with minocycline for some cases of RA –for my money he walked on water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Glad he helped you so much, Richie! I know when I first got involved with looking for a doctor his name came up in my searches. I did not know at the time he was retired, but found out as I continued to research him. I came across many posts of prior patients rejoicing that he had retired, since according to many of them he was a very incompassionate doctor who made many patients needlessly suffer by providing too high a dose of antibiotics and failed to provide them with pain relieving meds. He really did not care about their suffering and insisted they do it his way, or go elsewhere, according to them. The things they said about him really astounded me !!!!!!!!!!!! Like they say, one persons prince is another persons frog!

John

richie
    Participant

For every person who complained about him there are hundreds and hundreds who got better because of him —For RA he was principal investigator for MIRA -and his record for treating scleroderma was nothing short of fantastic –he wasnt a hand holder and he certainly wasnt the old family doctor type –and only used naprosyn or Aleve as a painkiller –he was very much against strong pain killers –The people who did complain about him are the folks who expected to have him sit for an hour while they spoke to him –this was not him –A person had to deal with him on his terms –While he was quick to get off the phone with a person –in the evening he would email all you wanted and answer any questions etc .—Point is -he got results and had unparalled success in treating scleroderma —
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Char,

It looks like you weaned yourself off of prednisone and naproxen awhile back. Are you taking any anti-inflammatory medication presently?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Char M
    Participant

Hi Phil,

I haven’t been on the site for awhile and do need to update my meds. Currently I am back on naproxen 250mg twice a day.
    I had a bad flair last Christmas and had gone back on prednisone as well but I weened off of that in September. I did it real slow.

Char

Dear Char M’
    I have used Arava, when I was first diagnosed with RA, I had severe itching all over , no rash.
    My GP & Rheumatologist, said it was not ARAVA, however I rang the drug co. ‘ & they said to stop it as that could be a side affect.
    Hope that helps
    Kind Regards
    Di.

Char M
    Participant

Thanks Di. It does.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.