Home Forums General Discussion AP since August: Update!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Oksana
    Participant

Hello, everyone! I have SSc and have been treating myself with Doxycycline since the end of August and with Zithromax – since December. I had ups, downs, and then again ups, but here is one recent thing I would love to share with you all.
    On the 6th of April, I temporarily stopped consuming dairy and meat (fasting before the Orthodox Easter; actually it should be longer, but I’m not that strong) and started Fluconazole for my yeast infection. Certainly, the Zith was also excluded for a week or so. And hey! In 3 days, I felt almost complete well-being. No muscle weakness!!! I almost juggled with a metal frying pan, which I was hardly able to hold! I became very energetic and my fatigue is almost gone. Moreover, today I went outdoors and thought “something big and annoying is missing, but what?”…and then it dawned on me: the sun was shining brightly, and pain in my eyes – that’s what was missing! Woohoo! Moreover, the inner parts of my legs stopped burning and getting red.

So, I wanted to ask you all: have you experienced an almost overnight improvement with such serious symptoms? Am I going to improve more and more each day, or is it simply an accidental improvement – like i dunno…My illness is teasing me?
    Any ideas?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Oksana,

What a tremendous update and very happy to hear of your wonderful improvement! The path to remission varies for everyone and quite often there are a few “nails in the feet” that are like mysterious puzzle pieces that sometimes we find by accident or by design. Seems that in your case you were following the typical 3-step fwd and 2-step back dance that many of us experience on the AP journey, all the way to remission. At times, something will inhibit progress, like a secondary infection. Candida can certainly mimic and exacerbate rheumatic symptoms and may also create leaky gut. By treating it, many will find it’s like a key to opening a door. To ensure ongoing progress, you might want to consider ways to heal leaky gut, in which candida can be a major player.

Thanks for sharing, Oksana, and here’s to your continued success with the treatment!

Linda L
    Participant

Please share your experience with us after one week. It is interesting if this sudden relief is due to Fluconazole or diet. It would be probably too quick for the diet. I think it is Fluconazole but the diet might have helped. I have noticed that since I am on a very strict diet every medications seems much stronger than before.How long are you going to take Fluconazole?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Oksana
    Participant

2 more days have passed – and I still feel this tremendous relief. I had taken Fluconazole for a week, now I will take it on the weekends when I do not take Zith.
    I will post an update in a week.

Oksana
    Participant

A small update:
    On Sat and Sun, I took oral Fluconazole and experienced “bad mornings” (feeling as if I was hit with a baseball bat), some tiny episodes of fatigue and more extensive mouth dryness. Today I woke up almost fit as a fiddle. So, the more Fluconazole I take, the better I feel, don’t I? The last time I had taken Fluconazole before Sat, was the 7th of April.
    Also, I’m planning to have some experiments with my diet. I want to eliminate gluten and processed food and see what will happen.

I wish you all good health! Many thanks for your support.

Linda L
    Participant

Do you take Doxy and Zith now?

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Oksana
    Participant

I took a break from Zith during the first whole week of daily Fluconazole, but now I take both as usual with Fluconazole only on weekends. Also, I use antifungal creams for the yeast in my ears, my dermatologist prescribed me it.

Maz
    Keymaster

I took a break from Zith during the first whole week of daily Fluconazole, but now I take both as usual with Fluconazole only on weekends. Also, I use antifungal creams for the yeast in my ears, my dermatologist prescribed me it.

Oksana, did your doc say it’s okay to use zith and diflucan (generic = fluconazole) together? Just wondering, because they are contraindicated for use together, as both work by P450 cytochrome inhibition in the liver, a major detox pathway, which if excessively inhibited could cause liver damage. Usually, a washout of a good week before starting fluconazole after using zith is needed, because zith has a long half life in the body.

Btw, I thought of this study when I read of your success with fluconazole and thought you might be interested:

Clinical effects of fluconazole in patients with neuroborreliosis.

Oksana
    Participant

Maz, I know that they are dangerous to use together. But I take Zith M-T-W, and fluconazole – on weekends. No problems so far.
    I had a choice: either to suffer from yeast or to heal it the sooner the better. Unfortunately, I don’t have an AP doctor, so I do consult the experienced AP guys with similar problems, and it really helps. The dermatologist cares only about my yeast, I won’t tell her I treat an autoimmune illness with abx. She will never understand me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.