Home Forums General Discussion AP Protocol Questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    inhstyme
    Participant

I was diagnosed with Lupus in March of this year and started on 100 mg of doxycycline twice a day in April. My ND wanted me to be on it for 3 months and then go off for a month, then back on it. I did great on it and noticed significant improvement in about 7-10 days! Tons of energy, no pain, hair quit falling out, etc. I went off of it per Dr.’s orders for the month of July. Slowly my symptoms started to return, but it didn’t bother me too much since I knew I’d be going back on it soon. I started back on the doxy 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately I am continuing to go down hill. I’m hoping maybe it’s just a herx reaction?? Anyway, I have a couple questions for those of you who have longer experience with this: Is what my ND having me do (on 3 months, off 1 month, on 3 months….) what the rest of you have also been doing, or are you staying on it with no time off of it? If you have also done the 1 month off, did it take longer to see improvement when you went back on (I’m trying to not get discouraged here!)? I’m really hoping that what I’m experiencing is normal because the next time I’m scheduled to go off the doxy for a month, I may be feeling this awful again right when our oldest son is getting married. I’d really like to enjoy my son’s wedding! Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I’m going to be blunt because there’s no easy way to say this, and I don’t have time to write this in a more diplomatic way. What your doctor is having you do is stupid. What you’ve just done by going off the doxycycline for a month is give the bacteria some “breathing room,” allowing them to start growing and multiplying again, as well as increased the risk that the bacteria will become resistant to the doxy. Obviously, none of that is good.

Did your ND tell you why she wants you to take the doxy in cycles of three months on, one month off?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jasregadoo

Maybe talk to your ND. See if they will be willing to let you stay on the meds the whole time. Tell them how much worse you feel when off of the rx, and that you want to be on it full time. Bring them the literature from this website.

I don’t know of anyone else who has tried this protocol. I do see a ‘washout period’ mentioned sometimes, if a patient isn’t tolerating the meds well, of up to a week. But never a month off for someone who was doing well.

If that doesn’t work and they insist on 3 months on, 1 off, get a new doctor.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I don’t know of anyone else who has tried this protocol. I do see a ‘washout period’ mentioned sometimes, if a patient isn’t tolerating the meds well, of up to a week. But never a month off for someone who was doing well.

washout periods are most usually a week. They are generally for someone who has started on too higher dose of medication for their situation and are suffering too much pain and inflammation. The week’s washout is to let all of the medication go from the body (half life of mino means it takes that long for it to be gone) and then start again at a much lower dose.

I, too, do not understand the rationale of 3 months on and one month off and have not heard of this before. It would be worth asking for a rationale.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

inhstyme
    Participant

Thank you all SO much for the input, I really appreciate it! I do know that my ND is new to this protocol, I don’t believe he’s had anyone else on it before, so I am thankful that he was willing to let me do it. I finally started feeling better on Sunday, praise God, so I’m up to about 90% of where I was before going off the doxy. He has me scheduled for labs in October to recheck my levels at the 6 month mark. In the meantime, I’ll do some digging here on the site to find some info to present to him and hopefully be able to stay on the antibiotic full time. Thanks again everyone, you are a lifeline for me! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.