Home Forums General Discussion AP for OA and FM Issues Anyone Do It???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jaminhealth
    Participant

Ok, I have the book Rheumatoid Arthritis, The Infection Connection and in this book Katherine Pohlemann recommends AP for OA and FM also…she deals with RA and talks about her great success.

I tried Doxy maybe about 8 yrs ago or so and did this for 3 months, MWF, 100mg per day as I recall.

After a while I started to get clumps of hair coming out of my head so I stopped….

Now, please tell me if anyone takes the AP for OA and/or FM, I might be willing to try it again.

My current rheumy is holistic minded and not that much into conventional treatments, but she has my book now
    and is reading thru it.

Thanks for any comments…..jam

Maz
    Keymaster

@jaminhealth wrote:

Now, please tell me if anyone takes the AP for OA and/or FM, I might be willing to try it again.

My current rheumy is holistic minded and not that much into conventional treatments, but she has my book now and is reading thru it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7879&start=10

jaminhealth wrote:

I mentioned AP to her at one point, but she’s not willing to go there and I’m not either for that matter. This is me, and I’m not knocking anyone who does the AP, I attempted for a short time, my “stuff” at this point is structural and if I can reduce pain in my attempts, I’m happy.

Jamin, I am confused, because as per the two comments from your posts above, it isn’t clear whether you are interested in AP or not. In your acupuncture thread, you shared your doctor’s opinion of AP and also that it is in alignment with your views on the treatment that you are “not willing to go there.” This forum is for those folks who are interested in trying AP or who are already on the AP treatment path. If you would like to re-try AP, please know that we are happy to support you.

In answer to your question in this thread, there are a good many folks who have used and are using abx therapy for Fibro and a number of studies showing some efficacy for OA. I would suggest that as you have read The Infection Connection that it may now be a matter of deciding for yourself whether or not infectious theory for rheumatic diseases makes sense to you or not. OA is not classed as a rheumatic disease, but Fibro does fall into this classification.

Road Back Foundation encourages all those interested in AP to read the educative materials and testimonials on the main site and also to read The New Arthritis Breakthrough by Henry Scammell in order to make a fully-informed decision about the therapy. You will also find a good number of posts in the forum archives by typing in “Fibromyalgia” in the search box at the top of General Discussion Forum. As OA is not a rheumatic disease, you likely will not find much discussion on the use of AP for this age-related, non-rheumatic, degenerative condition here.

The bottom line is that AP has proven to work very well anecdotally for rheumatic diseases, including fibromyalgia. It may not just be a question of popping a tetracycline antibiotic, however, and often it is necessary to uncover which microbes are involved and to work with an experienced doctor who knows how to target these bugs with appropriate classes of abx. Trying doxycycline for 3 months will not be long enough to gauge effectiveness (usually people are still herxing in this time frame) and there is no telling whether or not this was the appropriate abx for you.

I hope this helps and all the best in your researches.

jaminhealth
    Participant

Maz, thanks and I’m OPEN to all protocols…..the fact that I did try AP some yrs back says that.

My thoughts are is OA and FM issues rheumatic…..I hear from many that they are NOT. So it all confuses me…

true I don’t deal with RA or all the other auto immune issues many here do, but I do deal with spinal stenosis and
    spondylothesis and general DDD. Milder Fibro as I’ve worked on that and continue to with all my protocols.

And I’ve never hinted to anyone to NOT do the AP, I wouldn’t do that about anything anyone takes to improve their
    health….a lot can work and a lot does not work. Thanks again.

I just thought I’d hear from someone here “maybe” who does AP for OA and FM.

I’ve been a member of a FM/CFS and Arthritis board for years and no one takes AP for their issues….. Are they missing the boat to help their health? I wonder…..jam

Plus I deal with a structural MESS since a hip replacement which threw me into a more arthritic state, spine, ankle, legs, knee…so don’t know where AP would help with all the structural stuff.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster
    jaminhealth wrote:
    My thoughts are is OA and FM issues rheumatic…..I hear from many that they are NOT. So it all confuses me…
    quote]

Jam:

I agree that OA would not be considered “rheumatic” but Fibro? I don’t know why anyone would say that Fibromyalgia is not a rheumatic condition. The topic of Fibromyalgia is prominent on the American College of Rheumatology website. When a patient is suspected to have Fibro, they are referred to a rheumatologist.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 16 years ago and whenever I speak to my GP about it a referral is made to a rheumatologist. Personally, I believe that many of the chronic and degenerative illnesses have an infectious component and that treatment of that chronic infection in whatever manner is effective should be a cornerstone of the treatment process.

Good luck in finding your path to restored health.

Cheryl

jaminhealth
    Participant

Cheryl, do you take AP for the Fibro issues? Fibro is so mysterious, for me it all came on with an attack of my nervous
    system in 1999. The nervous system is so affected….is that rheumatic?

I put this question out to the FM/CFS board I’m on for comments over there……

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Jam:

I have used AP (combination antibiotics) in the past to treat my fibromyalgia diagnosis. I am not currently on antibiotics. I am planning to restart soon.

Cheryl

jaminhealth
    Participant

In my very first brochure on FMS, put out by the Arthritis Foundation it says:

Fibro is a form of soft tissue or muscular rheumatism….The word rheumatism refers to pain and stiffness associated with arthritis and related disorders of the joints, muscles and bones.

Years back it was known as rheumatism, and then called Fibroitis and now it’s Fibromyalgia.

I’ve seen 2 rheumies in my life and an older one called it Fibroitis and this younger one I see now does call it
    Fibromyalgia….depends on the generations.

PhilC
    Participant

@jaminhealth wrote:

I’ve been a member of a FM/CFS and Arthritis board for years and no one takes AP for their issues….. Are they missing the boat to help their health? I wonder…..jam

They probably are missing the boat. Looking back, I believe that I had CFS for years and didn’t know it. Now, thanks to antibiotic therapy, the brain fog and waking up feeling exhausted are a thing of the past.

Some web sites for you to look at (food for thought):
    http://cpnhelp.org/
    http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diagnosis/mastersymptoms.html

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jaminhealth
    Participant

Thanks Phil and I’ll look at this links…

On the brain fog, I’ve never had it….I had been taking Grape Seed Ex 5 yrs before the trauma of the FM hit me….so perhaps the Grape Seed Ex has saved me from that horrible stuff I’ve heard so much of from many. I kept looking and wondering about brain fog and just never have had it. Been taking Grape Seed Ex 17 yrs now. And the main reason I got on it, we were told by a panel of researchers and MD’s that it “MAY” prevent cancer…..that was huge for me…so on it I went and never got off.

Some new people starting on Grape Seed Ex are posting they are feeling renewed energy….it does work on circulation and clean the blood…..

Now, I’m not saying AP is not for all here, please…but I’ve been working holistically for some 20 yrs and do my best to not take the drugs….this is me. But I’m open to drug therapy for many who really benefit.

Trudi
    Participant

@jaminhealth wrote:

….so perhaps the Grape Seed Ex has saved me from that horrible stuff I’ve heard so much of from many.

A while back, one of my daughters had a home party for a company that sells grapeseed oil. Bought some and noticed some relief when taking it. When first seeing my LLMD, he had me on cod liver, olive, and coconut oil. There must be something in oils that benefit arthritis. So, yes, I think your using grape seed extract has given you some level of protection. A quick search came up with this article:

http://www.homeremediesweb.com/grape-seed-oil-health-benefits.php
    Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Studies have shown that Grape Seed Oil may improve the production of collagen which is important for maintaining healthy connective tissues in our joints. Its anti-inflammatory activity may also reduce the pain caused by arthritis. A simple remedy is to start taking 1 teaspoon of Grape Seed Oil daily on an empty stomach for 7 days and then reduce the amount to 1/2 teaspoon daily on an empty stomach.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

jaminhealth
    Participant

Trudi, I have used grape seed oil on and off for years for cooking etc….but taken Grape seed ex caps since 1995, never stopping…..so yes, I believe it’s given me a big jump on things. My gf has been on it one month longer than me, but she goes off for a week or so to “test” things and gets right back on it….soooo

Many on the FM/CFS board I’ve been a member of for years complained hugely about brain fog and I never had it….so, of course, I pushed Grape Seed Ex and many are taking it now with very nice benefits.

I now use mostly coconut oil in my cooking and for salads olive oil and rice vinegar, usually. I’ve used it for cooking and often have mixed it with CO and/or olive oil. The article you posted said, not for cooking….I don’t have any now, but next time I buy a bottle, I’ll try the tsp test and see if I feel any shifts with joints…as it is now, I take usually 800mg extract daily, 200mg three times per day.

I know also, it’s helped my aging eyes, haven’t had an eye exam in over 5 yrs, no changes with eyesight, etc…

Thinking more on my issues, I don’t think my body has infections, but inflammation, that is a big one for me. I muscle test and I keep getting, it’s inflammation …..

Wish I could afford one of the very pricey anti inflammatory supps I see on line, but I have to settle for the less pricey ones.

jaminhealth
    Participant

Well, my GP gave me a script for Doxy 100mg and she said she does know of abx therapy for arthritic issues….So 7 yrs later I’ll try it again and HOPE it will knock out some of the inflammation…I have more inflammation from the hip surgery.

I asked my rheumy for the Doxy yesterday and she would not give a script for it, said it’s not her type of medicine….but I said to her, when I asked you if I wanted a script for Celebrex you said you would give me a script for it…..I got a bit testy with her, so here’s hoping the Doxy will give me some relief….100mg MWF…..

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi, amongst other things I do have OA in both hands, a joint replacement in one hand years ago when I couldn’t stand the pain anymore, and at that time my surgeon stated categorically it would only be a matter of maybe a year until I needed the other hand done, in the mean time I developed PRA with a little bit of fibro & CTD thrown in for good measure; after about a year on AP I haven’t had even a twinge in my other hand where on the old painometer it used to be about a 7 out of 10 most nights so in answer to your question I personally believe the AP meds have helped my OA and I wish I knew about it prior to having the joint replaced in my other hand.

As everyone will tell you, AP is not a quick fix, for me once my body settled down it was a slow but steady improvement with little hiccups along the way that I learned to deal with.

Good luck in your endeavour —
    😀

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

jaminhealth
    Participant

I too have milder OA in both hands, right thumb area for 25+ yrs….and lately it’s starting to be a trick finger….it locks and I have to force it opem…

Good to hear Doxy has helped with the OA issues, I have a script and need to get it filled….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.