Home Forums General Discussion AP Effectiveness and Hereditary RA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nvryson
    Participant

Good Afternoon All..
    I have a short question about RA and AP: Is there anyone on this forum who has been diagnosed with RA that knows they have a relative (parent, grandparent etc.) also diagnosed with RA or similar autoimmune disorder? If yes, was AP successful even though there may have been a hereditary component to the disease?
    Thanks!
    Nan

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I don’t have a relative with RA but I have a friend who does and has done well on AP.

Jan

Eileen
    Participant

Hello,

My mom has PsA and other autoimmune issues. I have done well on abx. until just recently, but am getting back on track again. I’m sure there are genetic & other predispositions to this, but don’t let that stop you from abx. therapy.

I hope this helps.

Eileen

nvryson
    Participant

Eileen and Jan,
    Thank you so much for your replies, they have provided much needed encouragement.. I started AP the first week of March, this year, first the ‘low-and-slow’ (100mg minocycline M,W,F) then upped it to 200mg BID. Have been on a rollercoaster ride ever since and now, within the last month to 6 weeks, the RA has gotten very aggressive. It’s not a ‘herx’ because there is deformity involved. The good news is that I’m headed to CA the middle of next month to see Dr. F. I’m hoping we can get a handle on this. Thank you both again for your replies, they’ve picked up my day considerably. 🙂
    Nan

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes, yes and yes again! My Mother’s conventional journey is the reason I chose AP. And, incidentally, there is alot of talk (even in conventional circles) that heriditary may not be an entirely accurate description and that it’s more likely that “something” (infection if you believe in infectious origin) crosses the placental barrier. Genetic predispoition is another thing, of course.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: Nan
    My mother had RA for years, before she told anyone in the family. Looking back and knowing what RA is and me having gone through my experience. She must have been in severe pain and never a complaint. She used to treat herself
    with home remedies of all kinds. I remember she
    would put lots of camphor ice on her hands and put plastic gloves over them before going to bed,
    my right hand and fingers are deformed the same as my mothers right hand was.
    The AP worked very well for me, next month it will be 7 years on AP 😀
    The best to all, ….Joe RA….

Eileen
    Participant

Hi Nan,

You can always come here for encouragement or answers to the questions you may have. You will find it. There are lots of members here who can help guide you on your way. It’s a long process and one step at a time; but it’s a road worth travelling. Stay with it. We’ll help you through it.

Eileen

P.S. That is one adorable Italian Greyhound you have in your arms!!!

nvryson
    Participant

Lynnie, Joe and Eileen,
    Thanks again, for the encouraging words, believe me, I really, REALLY need them right now. I should clarify that my question about RA and heredity stems from seeing my Grandmother suffer so, most noticeably her hands. The tips of her fingers turned down at the joint and although I was a child at the time (10 or 12 years old), I remember seeing her rub her hands constantly and now I know why. They must have hurt her terribly but she never, ever complained. Never. Neither of my parents have RA or any other rheumatic disease, thankfully but when the deformity started on my right hand a couple of weeks ago, the first manifestation of it was the tip of my right pointer-finger, turning down at the joint….just like my Grandmother’s. What concerns me so much is that if there IS a heredity component involved here, can AP really help me? I find myself wondering (no, that’s a lie, I’m VERY worried) if this has any chance at all of working for me. It won’t stop me from seeing Dr. F and giving it the best shot that I can but that worry creeps in almost constantly.
    Thank you all for your support and Eileen, thanks for the kind words about my little guy! He and his brother (I have two Italian Greyhounds) are the absolute joys of my life!
    Warm Regards to All,
    Nan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.