Home Forums General Discussion AP During Intestinal Virus

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Randy
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Here’s a new one for me. Monday night I came down with a very nasty and painful intestinal virus. I have improved some but it’s not over yet. Assuming this is not C Diff or Solmanilla, should I not be taking my typical 100 mg twice daily Minocin? (I have not been taking it since Monday night) Also, I have Clindy IV’s scheduled for this coming Monday – should I reschedule if I’m not feeling better?

I have paged Dr. L (Dr. F’s colleague who is on call) three times, but I have not heard back all day.

Note, that I am not going into any detail of why I believe this is an intestinal virus and not C Diff just to keep any replies focused on the main questions.

I appreciated any advice,

Randy
    P.S. “Some Bastards are Blasting Me Right Now!”

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

Maz
    Keymaster

@Randy wrote:

Assuming this is not C Diff or Solmanilla, should I not be taking my typical 100 mg twice daily Minocin? (I have not been taking it since Monday night) Also, I have Clindy IV’s scheduled for this coming Monday – should I reschedule if I’m not feeling better?

I have paged Dr. L (Dr. F’s colleague who is on call) three times, but I have not heard back all day.

Me Right Now!”

Hi Randy,

Honestly, don’t know the answer to this and I can only fathom a fellow-patient guess not having experienced this myself, which probably isn’t any help. Would putting in a call to Dr. S in Iowa get a swifter answer perhaps? If you’d like his contact info, I’d be happy to pass it along.

Randy
    Participant

Hi Maz,

Thanks for the reply. As it turned out, I never heard back from Dr. L. …..

Today was a big improvement for me, including the return of some appetite. So, I made the command decision to restart my mino. I had been off mino for 4 days and that is the longest I have been off mino in nearly 3 years. If I continue to feel better by Monday I will keep my IV’s as scheduled; that would be #179……

Interestingly, this intestinal virus and associated fever, etc., really wreaked havak with my body’s temperture system, and this really smacked the Raynauds. I have never had so much Raynauds problems, and so easily… Ofcourse, this could also have something to do with when and where I got the virus….We were on vacation in Ft. Lauderdale, where it was 80 degress! When we returned home on Thursday it was on its way down to 17 degrees here!

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily

Kim
    Participant

Hang in there, Randy. Sorry you’re feeling so lousy. 😥

Take care…..kim

Maz
    Keymaster

Randy, glad you’re feeling a bit better and well enough to take your IVs.

Do you have a FIR sauna you can hop into to help your Raynaud’s?

mschmidt
    Participant

Randy,

Gosh–that doesn’t sound like a pleasant experience. What a bummer that Dr. L didn’t get back to you. I’d be calling the office tomorrow and asking what happened there. I can’t relate to the stomach virus thing, and I’m not sure how you’d be able to decipher a stomach virus versus C.Dificile or Salmonella poisoning, other than going into a doctor’s office and getting tested for those things. Any kind of stressful situation can trigger Raynaud’s, that’s for sure. I just returned from Texas, after a 2 week visit, and the change in temperature between there and Chicago instantly triggered my Raynaud’s . I have it under control but, it seems like this time of year is a no-win situation for me. If I don’t have my hands covered, I get bouts of Raynaud’s outside within seconds. I find myself holding onto, and sipping green tea throughout the day, which seems to keep my entire body warm enough to stave off attacks.

I don’t think a few days or weeks is a big deal to be off the Minocin, as I had to be off of it entirely for 2 weeks after I had surgery earlier this year. I was on heavy duty doses of Augmentin for a nasty post-op infection, and it was contraindicated with Minocin. I also did my clindy iv’s right after I stopped the Augmentin, without any issues at all. Have you increased your probiotics at all to see if maybe that will help your stomach issues? I rotate different types of probiotics, especially around my iv’s. (add saccharomyces boullardii)

I hope you’re feeling better…

Maria

Randy
    Participant

Thanks Maz, Kim, and Maria for the encouraging comments.

Maz – I try to get in a sauna at the club daily if I can for circulation and heat and Raynauds. Perhaps one day, I’ll break down and put one in the garage.

Maria – I’ll probably hear something back from Dr. L. Monday, as I emailed him too! If nothing else, I’ll be there on Dec 15th for an appt.

Ref my self dx of intestinal virus, the cold sore gave it away…. I don’t get many cold sores, thankfully. However, as unfair as life can be, sometimes after a really bad bout with a virus I’ll get a nasty cold sore. So when I felt it coming on that was a pretty good clue that this was a virus. Also, although my intestines sort of shut down for a few days, I did not have the terrible watery diarrhea which is typically associated with C Diff. Also, although I felt pretty sick and had bouts of severe lower abdominal pain, I wasn’t throwing up. The unfortunate times I have had food poisoning or C Diff (once), I threw up…
    So I concluded I had an intestinal virus that was lasting a bit longer than normal, and I assumed (took a guess) that the virus wasn’t cleaning out all my good bacteria. Yes, I was have been taking tons of top-quality probiotics.

Fortunately I am feeling much better today and have eaten fairly well, like normal, and I slept through the night without gut pains. So I know I’m almost completely done with this virus thing.

Thanks again for the comments and concern. Now, it’s time to get back to work blasting the bastards.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily

Randy
    Participant

I called Dr. F.’s office this morning. Dr. F. appologized for not getting back to me. He also told me to hold off with the IV’s for another week. This response was most reassuring.

I’m feeling much much better today.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.