Home Forums General Discussion AP changed to 200mg 3 X a week after a year of 200mg daily

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

I had a frequent diarrhea and cough when I was on minocyclin. I later found I had a big yeast problem whenever I am on antibiotics. Yeast infection has been a huge problem for me.

In addition to probiotics, I also used “Mary's magic mouth wash” to keep my mouth yeast at bay. Once my mouth yeast was under the control, my cough is reduced and my colon's yeast problem gets a little better. When yeast gets out of control, I'd stop taking mino and I'd take Diflucan (yeast antibiotic med).

I have not taken mino for a while. I am on abx muscle injection. I found muscle injection actually does not irritate my stomach.

Sorry I am not a doctor, so I can only share my experience.

JB

Ronsword
    Participant

thanks Lynnie – will definitely look into the aloe. I also think gluten may be playing a role; she sometimes get severe cramps after eating bread and grainy products. Perhaps a week trial of gluten-free bread might help (though I understand there is a test to determine gluten sensitivity?).

As for the NSAIDS, Anne has been strictly avoiding anything and everything but the mino. Last week, she seemed to really be herxing big time so I insisted she take one Alleve; I insisted wrong 🙁 as the Alleve really caused considerable GI distress.

She also takes a yogurt every night, but perhaps there are more probiotic rich products we can check out.

tnx again – will let you know how it goes.

Ronsword
    Participant

it's appreciated:)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

[user=2264]Ronsword[/user] wrote:

thanks Lynnie – will definitely look into the aloe. I also think gluten may be playing a role; she sometimes get severe cramps after eating bread and grainy products. Perhaps a week trial of gluten-free bread might help (though I understand there is a test to determine gluten sensitivity?).

As for the NSAIDS, Anne has been strictly avoiding anything and everything but the mino. Last week, she seemed to really be herxing big time so I insisted she take one Alleve; I insisted wrong 🙁 as the Alleve really caused considerable GI distress.

She also takes a yogurt every night, but perhaps there are more probiotic rich products we can check out.

tnx again – will let you know how it goes.

Ron – sounds like Anne's GI tract is not in great condition and she might need to get a few different things checked out. 

A yogurt probably is insufficient in probiotics when on abx. If you use the search function above. alot of previous posts of probiotics will come up.

Also trialling gluten-free bread will not help. She will need to go absolutely gluten-free to see if that is a component of her GI distress – so that her body stops producing anti-bodies to it. My understanding is that takes a few weeks  because of the half life of the antibodies. She may not be celiac (a genetic condition that people are born with) but may still be or have become gluten intolerant. Here's one site with some info. Lynnie <span style="color: #000000][/color] 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Ronsword
    Participant

Thanks for the links. They've provided good insight.

I think we're going to try AV Juice and PREbiotics for a week before embarking on a gluten-free diet (Anne informs me celiac test was negative but as you point out, that doesn't rule out gluten intolerance).

PS- was it your doctor Lynnie that had a medical problem? I seem to remember discussion along these lines but if incorrect, forgive my pre-dementia (LOL).

Ron

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Ron;
         It was my doctor that was sick.She had Fibro and Chronic fatigue,barely made it  out of bed for 2 years.You can do the gluten test without a doctor.Go to http://www.enterolab.com and order the test you want.The plain old gluten test costs 99$.You send in a fecal sample,they culture it and e-mail you the results after 4-5 weeks.This is the lab my doctor prefers.It took me 18 months to undo the damage to my gut that the gluten cause as it made me develop many food sensitivities.
                Lynne

Ronsword
    Participant

Thanks and hope your doct is okay.

Thanks for the link for gluten. I think we'll probably want to check it out.

What would we do without such informative blogs/people as per this Board?? It is a blessing:)

Will keep you posted,

R

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Ron;
          My doc. is just fine and never had a recuring problem.She was just a family doctor but now is an Environmental/holistic doc that takes time with her patients.She thinks nothing of a 2 hour appointment to explain EVERYTHING. No wonder she has an over 2 year waiting list.

Ronsword
    Participant

I wish we had that kind of care! As it stands, we have to travel to Gainesville (120 miles) just to get our mino scripts written by a DO who is very understanding, just too far away.

But Anne is determined to see this therapy through.

I also noted a link from a leading RA/Road Back MD that Mino can upset the good bacteria in gut. So I think in addition to the Prebiotics and Aloe, she will reduce her dosage from 200mg every other day, back to 100mg. We'll see how this program works.

I recall you saying there is a very delicate balance between too much minocycline and just the optimum dosage. I think that's about where we're at right now!

tnx, R

Ronsword
    Participant

hi all – Just wondering if it would be better to continue posting on this discussion, or to start my own post? Not sure what the best protocol is:?

Anyway, a few updates on Anne. She had been for a complete physical and was diagnosed with IBS. Her family physician was actually quite open minded about her minocycline use, and I prepared a bunch of papers and articles for her to read. However, we still see the DO in Gainesville who is the prescribing doc for the minocycline.

Anne is still continuing with 200mg, 3x a week. She seems to have gotten more significant bouts of herxing, though she sometimes has difficulty distinguishing between what is herxing and what is RA!

She is planning to see the DO again in two weeks to re-prescribe.

I did have a question to all: has anyone heard of the recent study on antibiotic use and breast cancer? Apparently, one long term study suggests a doubling of breast ca incidence among antibiotic users, though I've read a very critical article from FOX News saying the data is so much “baloney”. Anyway, before I scare Anne, I wanted to get the facts straight. Any feedback on this question, and on starting a new thread is appreciated.

Other than that, full steam ahead:blush:

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘ AP changed to 200mg 3 X a week after a year of 200mg daily’ is closed to new replies.