Home Forums General Discussion Any advice on my painful RA?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Pip,
    To me, what you suggested like getting stronger by eating something gradually even thought it would hurt at the beginning is interesting proposition. I wish I can overcome those irritable, but healthy foods with little pain. Unfortunately, I need to come to work tomorrow and today, i can’t afford to try this food because I fear the pains and swellings that often result from it.
    Thanks for the links on the interesting recent studies on gut bacteria.
    SD

Pip
    Participant

Yes, like AP – you take Mino/doxy and you know you might feel worse for a bit, but eventually you get better – only with food. We desperately need those vitamins to increase our stores. You can have all the circulating calcium in the world, but if you don’t have Vitamin D (not advocating) or zinc, it’s not getting into the bones.

But you have to do what you have to do – work has to happen, know what I mean?

I was lucky in that I was a SAHM for a long time. That’s why I was able to add things in even if I didn’t like it. Like the whole lemon drink – had to gag that stuff down. But eventually it got sort-of-tasty (not really, still hate lemons) but I didn’t REACT to it the way I did in the past. I’d get piercing pains in my salivary glands. But I drank it anyway. Sigh.

Have you thought about taking a minute amount? Like only a smidge for a week or two, then a bigger smidge, until you don’t have too much pain? Hubby did the same with doxy until he could tolerate it without affecting kidney function until he got his kidneys back. Same concept.

Or not – your choice.

This was the link I found here on the RB that made me realize it’s not just supplements that work…its the Food!

Pip

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey, guys,
    I finally got minocycline from my RA doc today, and I already took one pill right before.
    I’m excited to see what will happen to my body over time. I’m praying for positive results as many of this forum members demonstrated.
    My doc was hesitant at first, saying minocycline is “old and benign drug, but if you want you can try it along with other drugs”. She will be checking my liver very keenly over the next couple months.
    Do you guys have any liver problem because of this minocycline? I’m supposed to take minocyn with MTX.
    To be honest, if minocycline is effective, I don’t take MTX any more because I know long-term use of MTX is associated with liver damage.
    Is there any helpful information or link on patient who starting to take mincycline, please let me know. what I may expect in the near future, something like die-off symtoms, or supplements, etc.
    I really want to thank Maz for this to happen. You suggested me that my RA doc would be able to prescribe mino with MTX, so, I tried today, and it worked. I really appreciate your advice. Also, thank Phil and Pip for the great information.
    SD

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

SD – am attaching a pdf of ACR recommendations for baseline and follow up bloodwork tests, specifically liver. For minocycline recommendation is that no follow tests are required after baselines taken – that should tell you how benign minocycline is considered to be.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

Hello, Lynnie,
    Thank you for the reassuring information.
    I love the benign, but effective nature of minocyline!!
    By baseline, I assume you mean I take 100mg twice a day, which I started yesterday.
    Let me post here how it goes.
    Thanks
    SD

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

By baseline, I assume you mean I take 100mg twice a day, which I started yesterday.

No SD, baseline refers to the bloodwork. The baseline is what the starting point is on your readings for any future comparison.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.