Home Forums General Discussion Antifungal question and help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lrobertson
    Participant

I have longstanding 30 years of RA and about 10 years off and on various antibiotics. My doctor thought maybe good to treat for fungal infection because of years of antibiotic use. She prescribed lotrimin (clotrimazole), but all I see on the message boards is diflucan (fluconazole). Is there a reason for this? Also, what dosage would you suggest I start with and what length of time? I have a history of major flaring. Thanks for any help. You are all wonderful!

Maz
    Keymaster

@lrobertson wrote:

She prescribed lotrimin (clotrimazole), but all I see on the message boards is diflucan (fluconazole). Is there a reason for this? Also, what dosage would you suggest I start with and what length of time?

Hi LRobertson,

The action of clotrimazole is similar to that of fluconazole (brand name Diflucan) in that it inhibits the P450 cytochrome (major detoxification pathway in the liver) and compromises fungal cell walls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotrimazole

Due to its action and effects upon the liver, close lab monitoring should be performed as well as avoiding any other drugs that may inhibit the P450 cytochrome, such as macrolide abx, for instance.

How much did your doc prescribe to you and what dosing schedule did she suggest?

kerry23
    Participant

Wow, God Bless You for being so fortunate. Being treated with antibiotics for so many years and not getting a fungal infection is amazing. I got it within months and so did my son. It eats you alive. We both lost a ton of weight, anxiety, depression, more joint pain, mimics lyme symptoms, bloating, constipation, craving for sugar/carbs. Best of luck to you.

lrobertson
    Participant

Hi and thanks for your help. To answer Maz question, looks like I was wrong on the fungus prescription. Now that I look at it, she is perscribing 250mg day for 6 weeks of lamisil whos drug name is terbinafine. Would diflucan be a better choice in your opinion? Laura

Maz
    Keymaster

@lrobertson wrote:

Hi and thanks for your help. To answer Maz question, looks like I was wrong on the fungus prescription. Now that I look at it, she is perscribing 250mg day for 6 weeks of lamisil whos drug name is terbinafine. Would diflucan be a better choice in your opinion? Laura

HI Laura,

Not sure of your doc’s rationale for using Lamisil over Diflucan….I tend to equate Lamisil more with skin and nail fungal infections, but that’s largely just due to the marketing of it, I think. Others here have used Lamisil and you could run a search on the main page to look for prior posts on this drug. I think if you can ask your doc for her rationale for using this over diflucan, you could then ask if you could switch to Diflucan if Lamisil isn’t doing the trick. Six weeks may not be long enough and I have heard of others being on Lamisil for several months for nail fungus (basically till the infected nail bed grows out). I’ve only been on Diflucan, so can’t really share any personal experience of Lamisil and effectiveness for treating systemic candida. It may be a “see how you go,” kind of thing?

How interesting that one of the listed “side-effects” of Lamisil is an exacerbation of systemic lupus erythematosis! Could this be the reason that more AP docs seem to prefer Diflucan? There is no elaboration at the following link on whether or not this is a drug-induced state, but reading between the lines here, this looks more like a “herx” situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamisil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diflucan

Blondie283
    Participant

My Dr prescribed 100mg of Diflucan about the 2nd week I was on the AP protocol. I take the Diflucan Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday. The off days of the Doxy. Dr G “quoted” if you don’t have Candida now, you will. You are very fortunate not to get it after being on AP for many years.
    I’ve also done some research, and for others who can’t get your Dr’s to prescribe meds for your Candida. There is something else you can take. It’s been out on the market for ages-Samento made by Nutrimedix.
    http://www.nutramedix.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.