Home Forums General Discussion Antibiotic therapy with methotrexate – hair fall

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RA_stressed
    Participant

I am on 100mg Minocycline MWF and 20 mg methotrexate, 1 mg folic acid a day 400 mg plaquenil and 10 mg prednisone.
    I noticed lately (have only been on the Metho for 4 weeks) that there is been more hairfall than normal .
    I know inflammations and pain are a big concern for RA’ers, but curious to know if I should perhaps ask the doc to increase my folic acid to 5 mg or take biotin or other supplements for the hair fall issue.

Any recommendations please

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

This online resource has some information about mtx related hair loss

There is no specific treatment for the hair loss that occurs secondary to medication except for discontinuing it. On the other hand, taking leucovorin (folinic acid) 8-12 hours after methotrexate may decrease this potential side effect without altering the effectiveness of the drug.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthritismedications/f/hair_loss.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

RA_stressed
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, has anyone tried Biotin or increasing their folic acid to 5mg a day instead of folonic acid?

marg
    Participant

My daughter contracted sudden, severe RA and was on MTX for 3 months. during that time her hair began to fall out. At the end of 3 months, her Dr. prescribed Minocin but NO MTX. Her hair stopped falling and thickened back up and her RA symptoms went into remission in a few months. ( She was lucky.)
    marg

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[ has anyone tried Biotin or increasing their folic acid to 5mg a day instead of folonic acid?[/quote]

Hi,

I have been taking 5 mgs Folic Acid daily, apart from Mtx day, for quite some time, I also take a complex vit B and my hair seems fine now.

Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.