Home Forums General Discussion antibiotic therapy in conjunction w/ antifungals/probiotics

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    lajones2
    Participant

Thanks Patti!

I have to take that attitude.  I am a person who when my mind gets sick, my body follows.  I cannot afford to not tackle this and be optimistic.  I hope that she gets this message.  Mycoplasmas watch out!!!:X

LJ

Patti D
    Participant

LJ,

I too refused all of the heavy hitters the rheumy wanted to give me. Actually, 2 rheumies wanted to had out mtx. No thank you!! I got the prednisone down quickly but gained 30lb in 3 months. Now I got that to take off:angry: I am off the prednisone and only took it 3 months but it did more harm than good for me.  Lyme disease & prednisone do not go together and I did not have any visible swelling until I was put on the prednisone. Most people on the bboard swear by prednisone as being there life saver. If I hadn't taken it I would not have been able to work & run my small company so everything has a trade off right! I am getting so much better so be patient. It does work!!

Happy days!

Patti

A Friend
    Participant

[user=626]missdaisy2369[/user] wrote:

I've been reading a lot about mycoplasmas and learned that it could be causing or greatly influincing my symptoms/lupus.  I have ordered a mycoplasma test kit, and I have to go see my doc to try and get the lab script/order for the test…then send it back to the lab.  I took notes on Dr. Garth Nicolsons research and will present him w/ that but he's a funny guy and doesnt accept outside info very well.  Any ideas?

Miss Daisy,

Mycoplasma tests are a very difficult and tedious test.  My first PCP when I was dx'd with a rheumatic illness said (when I'd read The New Arthritis Breakthrough and asked him about testing for mycoplasma), “Our lab can do that test.”  Bottom line was that they did the test and it was negative.  It was later I learned that most labs are not set up to do the test properly.  If you will go to http://www.rheumatic.org and click on the link:  Information for You and Your Doctor, I believe this is where approved labs for this testing are listed.  When I, in desperation, went from Texas to Iowa to see Dr. S, the tests were re-done, using Dr. Brown's lab that is still operating in the DC area.  I was positive in two strains of mycoplasma, which my AP physician re-checked after certain periods of time.  I believe it was about the end of the 2nd year that these were found to be back in an acceptable, normal range. (I've added this because I'd hate to see you waste your money on a test that might not be valid.  Dr. S had mycoplasma tests that are valid even if you've been on abx before you are tested.

Also, your questions in your complete post asked about taking probiotics and diet while being treated for your diagnosis.  I believe BOTH (along with other things as well) are very important.

I did really well (after the first 4 months) on AP for about 7 years.  I've learned the hard way, that each individual patient needs to take large doses of probiotics, as well as be aware and stay aware of his/her pH and whether it is in balance (slightly alkaline).  If it is very acidic, then I believe (though this is discounted by most MDs) then we need to learn what foods are best for our blood type and strive to eat foods that “serve as medicine” for us, along with possibly supplementing with such as Tri-Acids, drinking alkaline water (numerous ways to achieve this) to bring our pH out of the acidic range — this takes time, and alkaline foods are most helpful.  Disease continues to grow and thrive in an acidic environment — caused by many things… our metabolism, stress, food choices, stored acidic wastes that we lack minerals to neutralize in order for them to be eliminated through the feces and kidneys, and others. 

If we have been pretty ill for some time, I believe there is a real possibility that we already have systemic fungal/yeast in our body, adding to our toxic load and the source of many of our problems.  We can have this type fungal/yeast problem without ever having a typical woman's “yeast infection.”  I'd never had one of these, and yet I was later to learn (before I even began AP) that I had a serious systemic yeast infection — probably mostly caused by two years of strong abx for 10 days, about 15 times, and not knowing or being told I needed to take probiotics.  I had two well-known and respected physicians in a large city, who should have known this, but didn't. 

The above, along with numerous other “learning experiences” are things I felt compelled to mention to you.  Be sure to read “The New Arthritis Breakthrough” by Henry Scammel.  Also, read all of the information on RBF BB site for beginners.  Also, an excellent resource would be to read “Frequently Asked Questions” and “Medical Histories” on http://www.rheumatic.org.

Good luck to you,

AF

A Friend
    Participant

MissDaisy, “New Bees” and “Old Bees”,

When any of us are looking for information about topics important to us, it might be very helpful to click on General Discussion tab when you first sign on, and click on the Old RBF BB Archived Messages, follow the instructions to get there and do a Search for your topic.  Many posts usually show up.  (You can read these, print these, or “send” them to your e-mail.)

Remember, you can also click on “File” at the very top left of your screen and print the instructions to go to the Old BB messages. 

Also, remember, that on this new BB, you can do a search by going to the little white window above, typing in the topic you are looking for, and clicking the Search button. 

Hope this is helpful,

AF

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ antibiotic therapy in conjunction w/ antifungals/probiotics’ is closed to new replies.