Home Forums General Discussion antibiotic holidays?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gordbentley
    Participant

can you take a break from mino? kinda like a small holiday of not having to swallow pills? if so for how long?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Gord – not sure of the reason for your question, is it just being tired of taking the meds? If yes, given the short amount of time you have been taking them, it may not be a good idea to “take a holiday” in this way. However, many people have had to cease taking mino (for instance if they need to be on a short-term high dose of a penicillin drug or are experiencing hypersensitivity during the jarisch-herxheimer response) and it is generally thought that a week or two washout will not adversely affect the patient’s progress (e.g.see Interrupting Treatment pg 170 Solving The Puzzling Problem of Arthritis, Pat Ganger and Carol Lange). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

gordbentley
    Participant

well i stopped taking them for four days but i started up again today. Its just my whole life i have always refused medications for anything. even cough syrup for a cold. it has always been my beleif that meds cause people to be sicker. you may ask why? well my whole life i have generally gone along not getting sick very often (maybe a cold a year if that) and i always credited it to not taking meds or painkillers or anything like that. I once cut my thumb in half and the doctors did a backflip when i refused NSAIDS. its just always been my philosophy. i dunno i just hate swallowing pills, it creeps me out. but the mino has made such a difference i guess i should just suck it up πŸ˜›

mschmidt
    Participant

Gord,

I second what Lynnie said. Like you, I spent most of my life NOT taking even anything at all–no aspirin, NSAIDS, tylenol, etc. I HATE meds and pills, and have had the flu once (when I was 7 yrs old), and have had 5 colds over the last 10 years. However, if something is making you feel better, then I guess my question to you is why would you take the risk of going backwards? I think that over time, you may be able to decrease your dosage to a maintenance one but, I think it’s important to feel well for an extended period of time and heal long enough to have that happen. I was on twice daily Minocin from December 2008 until November 2010. I’m now down to twice daily Minocin 5 days a week, and feel no adverse side effects of lowering my dose at all. I’ve also been able to take myself off of all other meds, or considerably lower the frequency in which I take them. I’m still doing clindy iv’s monthly through June, and continue to see marked improvement regularly. There will come a time very soon where I’ll be on pulsed or maintenance doses of the Minocin, and maybe cycle in other meds as needed for Lyme. However, I’ve been treating everything pretty aggressively for 2+ years now—in my opinion, a short amount of time for some great recovery.

I know it sucks to have to be on a schedule with meds, supplements, etc–I tell people it’s a full time job just keeping it all together. What sucks more though, is being sick, or reverting back to where I was a few years ago. I’m not going to do anything to ever go back there again 😯

Take Care,

Maria

gordbentley
    Participant

i guess im just laxed on it because im not incredibly sick. though i came close i believe right before i started AP. i feel stupid for refusing this treatment I WAS OFFERED!! in the first week i had symptoms. there goes stubborn all natural gord! lol so i suffered for 7 months trying all the natural ways until my knee actually started to swell. then i gave in and took the mino. my knees are healed and i can run and work out again. but the pain lingers. very slightly… will it always linger i wonder? i guess i can live with that so long as i dont get deformed. ahah theres another question. how much pain does it take to cause deformity? always curious on that one and how long does it take before something deforms? if anyone could answer those i could rest easier im sure. thanks lynnie and schmidt!

mschmidt
    Participant

Gord,

Well, I have SD not RA so, I will defer any response regarding RA to those on the board who have it. All I know is that Minocin and clindy iv’s (diet, and treating Lyme disease) have made my pain go from a 12 to about a 1. I honestly think that any pain and stiffness I have these days has more to do with being a 40 year old athlete, who has pounded on my body since I was 15. In other words, I think it’s “normal.” I have my life back, exercise 6x/week, can run 7-8 minute miles for 6 miles at a time, and basically am training at the same level or above what I used to. Yes, I still have some lingering effects of SD, mainly slightly contracted fingers, which don’t give me the same ability I used to have with certain things but, I can do 99% of what I used to be able to do.—not so bad considering where I was a few years ago.

I think it’s totally up to you, what you decide your treatment path to be. You haven’t been on AP for very long, and you’re doing well. As far as deformity of joints, etc, it’s prudent to keep an eye on that stuff because there may come a time when you may need some other type of meds to help stave that off, if you even have to deal with it at all.

It’s good to question things–keeps you on your toes, and constantly searching for new ways of looking at everything. I find myself questioning lots of things all the time. What I DON’T question however, is the success I’ve had with AP. God only knows where I’d be, if I’d be around at all, had I not gone with my gut and explored the AP path. I’m extremely happy that I chose this route for treatment πŸ˜€

Maria

gordbentley
    Participant

yah this ap stuff seems to be where its at. just gets me down when i see people who arent doing so well im pretty grateful to have found it this early and the comeback ive made so im pretty sure im on the right track. i see my first rheumy april 29th so im a bit nervous about that. i wish to keep one on hand but at the same time i dont want to go the other drug route. not in my current plan. currently im just scraping by not suffering but definitley on my toes thats for sure. your story is inspirational mschmidt, its things like that which keep me reassured im on the right track. thanks πŸ™‚

mickie p
    Participant

Whatever it’s worth, Gordbentley, I thoroughly enjoy your posts. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† I can relate to the constant pill-popping dilemma. I’m rejoicing today cause I finally got off the Prednisone– yippee, one less pill !!!! But, hey Gord, we must take our mino πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
    Thanks for that post on the thyroid. I got good info outta that one.

gordbentley
    Participant

No problem Mickie! thanks! lol i was just thinking if only you were phil mickleson (mickie/mickleson). my favourite golfer struck down by PSA just recently. hes taking Enbrel so every time i see him i think if only he knew about this website lol

Maz
    Keymaster

@gordbentley wrote:

i was just thinking if only you were phil mickleson (mickie/mickleson). my favourite golfer struck down by PSA just recently. hes taking Enbrel so every time i see him i think if only he knew about this website lol

Hey, Gord….yea, too bad…RBF could do with some celebrity endorsements of AP. Trouble is, these celebs make such good money endorsing the biologics. Look at Kathleen Turner…her doc is Dr. T in Boston and she uses mino, but she actually endorses Enbrel.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-06-01-turner-arthritis.htm

“Turner says she takes Celebrex with Minocycline.”

No money to be made from endorsing antibiotics, unfortunately. πŸ™

mickie p
    Participant

oh gosh, Turner was a favorite of mine until I read that article. ha, I don’t like her so much now!!! Too bad,,, someone famous could do alot for AP

Eileen
    Participant

@mschmidt wrote:

Gord,

Well, I have SD not RA so, I will defer any response regarding RA to those on the board who have it. All I know is that Minocin and clindy iv’s (diet, and treating Lyme disease) have made my pain go from a 12 to about a 1. I honestly think that any pain and stiffness I have these days has more to do with being a 40 year old athlete, who has pounded on my body since I was 15. In other words, I think it’s “normal.” I have my life back, exercise 6x/week, can run 7-8 minute miles for 6 miles at a time, and basically am training at the same level or above what I used to. Yes, I still have some lingering effects of SD, mainly slightly contracted fingers, which don’t give me the same ability I used to have with certain things but, I can do 99% of what I used to be able to do.—not so bad considering where I was a few years ago.

I think it’s totally up to you, what you decide your treatment path to be. You haven’t been on AP for very long, and you’re doing well. As far as deformity of joints, etc, it’s prudent to keep an eye on that stuff because there may come a time when you may need some other type of meds to help stave that off, if you even have to deal with it at all.

It’s good to question things–keeps you on your toes, and constantly searching for new ways of looking at everything. I find myself questioning lots of things all the time. What I DON’T question however, is the success I’ve had with AP. God only knows where I’d be, if I’d be around at all, had I not gone with my gut and explored the AP path. I’m extremely happy that I chose this route for treatment πŸ˜€

Maria

I’m with you, Maria. Stay the course. One thing we can count on for sure is that anything can change at any time but we still revert back to AP. I’ve been on AP for almost 9 months now and have been working it to the max., and am getting better, little by little, one step at a time.

Eileen

gordbentley
    Participant

lol ya i read about her. oh well if it makes money i always say πŸ˜› you cant blame them. i hope phil hears about mino though, he has been playing well though. you wouldnt think he had arthritis at all really.

Pauyen
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

Hey, Gord….yea, too bad…RBF could do with some celebrity endorsements of AP. Trouble is, these celebs make such good money endorsing the biologics. Look at Kathleen Turner…her doc is Dr. T in Boston and she uses mino, but she actually endorses Enbrel.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-06-01-turner-arthritis.htm

“Turner says she takes Celebrex with Minocycline.”

No money to be made from endorsing antibiotics, unfortunately. πŸ™

How sad… such morally bankrupt people, cant help but think what a sick sad world this is sometimes… there has got be a lot of people who knows the great benefits of AP (who work in big pharmaceuticals companies and the like) who continue to push their useless products ‘just’ for money… how do they live with themselves, makes me feel sick.

mickie p
    Participant

πŸ˜€ Maybe GordBentley has something there…. A National Day of Antibiotic Holiday ❗ SOMETHING to draw attention to RBF and AP treatment. I thank God daily that I didn’t get stuck on the path of “the other” drugs. It was tooooo close though, and I feel bad for all the souls that don’t know of AP treatment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.