Home Forums General Discussion ankylosing spondylitis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ASsufferer
    Participant

Hi can anyone guide me regarding antibiotic protocol for ankylosing spondylitis

bsnyder
    Participant

Hi there AS sufferer. I also have AS and I have some TREMENDOUS info for you! I am on the antibiotic protocol. I am on the original protocol which was 100 MG minocycline MWF. I have also added 500 MG zithromax T SAT. The newer protocol is 100MG minocycline 7 days a week! I used the original protocol years ago to put my AS into remission – I was in total remission for five years but stop taking the Mino and my arthritis returned. When I started the AP back again about 2 years ago I tried the newer 7 day protocol and I was in a CONSTANT flare. I think I wasted the first year and a half of AP by being on TOO strong a dose. I cut back to the MWF dosing about 6 months ago and I am seeing improvements.

HERE IS THE GREAT NEWS! Go visit http://www.kickas.org. Even with the AP I was often in painful flares. Once I found that website and got on a NO starch diet it reduced my pain to almost ZERO! It is a scientifically based diet called the London Diet for the hospital that introduced it and did the research. It is kind of like the old Adkins diet. Lots of meat, veggies and fruits but no processed foods, beans, rice, bread, flour, very little sugar, etc. I have only been on it about a week and a half and my pain level which was at a 7 or 8 is really about 0 now, although I still have a swollen left knee which I am dealing with.

Interestingly, about a year before the return of my arthritis after I had been in remission for five years I became a vegetarian and LIVED ON beans, tortillas, brown rice, other grains, bread, etc. According to the London diet people AS is accompanied by lots of Klebsiella bacteria in the bowel. Starches are what klebsiella bacteria feed on. When you reduce the starch you reduce the klebsiella and the joint pain often subsides. Please read all the positive reviews of AS patients who have gotten well on this diet. They are on the website!

maryterese52
    Participant

I really appreciate this post as I have AS and I just started AP with Minocycline. I’m on 50 mg MWF and gradually working up to 100mg daily. I will heed your advice if the 7 day starts me flaring! I’m on a no starch diet. It really helps but,boy, do you have to read labels carefully. I made no starch hamburger buns and they tested positive with Iodine. The culprit was the almond milk that has rice starch in it! I am really hopeful with AP and the diet. Glad to see another AS buddy with success on here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.