Home Forums General Discussion Amoxicillin cause of Heartburn?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Carrie-RA
    Participant

I am taking Amoxicillin and Doxycycline for Lyme. It now hurts just to drink water…feels like my LES/esophigal opening is bruised or something. I’m burping all the time. This is not classic heartburn…but not sure how else to describe it.

Is that the Amoxi or Doxy? What can I do about it? My doc says NOT to take Previsid or Tagament or other otc relief. I am taking lots of probiotics during the day, eating yogurt, drinking kombucha, and taking digestive enzymes with all meals. I don’t drink coffee, only green tea (but having to cut back on this too).

Thoughts? Is this normal for Amoxi/Doxy?

Maz
    Keymaster

@Carrie-RA wrote:

I am taking Amoxicillin and Doxycycline for Lyme. It now hurts just to drink water…feels like my LES/esophigal opening is bruised or something. I’m burping all the time. This is not classic heartburn…but not sure how else to describe it.

Is that the Amoxi or Doxy? What can I do about it? My doc says NOT to take Previsid or Tagament or other otc relief. I am taking lots of probiotics during the day, eating yogurt, drinking kombucha, and taking digestive enzymes with all meals. I don’t drink coffee, only green tea (but having to cut back on this too).

Thoughts? Is this normal for Amoxi/Doxy?

Hi Carrie,

I think I have a stomach of steel, because I seem to be able to tolerate everything (except mino – 😥 ) without any stomach issues, like reflux. I’ve been on both doxy and really high doses of extended release amoxicillin (775.mg BID) for 8 months and never had issues with the amoxy. My best fellow patient guess, going by your symptoms, is that it’s possible that one of your doxy doses didn’t quite go down? This happened to my daughter while at college and she was on doxy for acne. She took it right before bed with a swig of water (not a full glass and sitting up for a good hour or two) and went right to bed. She woke in the night with severe esophageal burning which was so bad she couldn’t swallow anything comfortably for a couple of weeks until the ulceration healed up.

The tetras are notorious for this and the esophageal burning can be so bad it can warrant an ER trip, according to my doc, so it’s really important to take every dose with a full glass of water and remain upright for an hour or two to avoid the possibility of unnecessary reflux.

Do you think this might be what happened, Carrie?

Another thought…ever been tested for H. Pylori?

mkay
    Participant

Very strange your asking this question at this time. I was just rx’d amoxicillin for a sinus infection 875mg 2x a day. I have indeed been experiencing heartburn, it almost has to be from this since nothing else has changed. I even told my husband yesterday that I thought the amoxicillin was causing me heartburn (which I normally do not have unless pregnant…and trust me I’m not pregnant)!! I googled it and YES, it is a side effect you can have.

Carrie-RA
    Participant

Maz,
    I totally think it was a pill getting stuck that started the whole thing. It began the day I started the Amoxi. The first pill I took for some reason felt like it was stuck. I drank water but I could FEEL it, if you know what I mean. After that the problem with my “bruised” esophogus was there and had stayed and gotten worse. I don’t think it’s coincidence, but now everything I eat or drink burns going down. It’s not your classic heartburn which I’ve had before.

Is there anything I can do to heal this?

Doc says no Tagament or other.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Carrie-RA wrote:

I totally think it was a pill getting stuck that started the whole thing. It began the day I started the Amoxi. The first pill I took for some reason felt like it was stuck. I drank water but I could FEEL it, if you know what I mean. After that the problem with my “bruised” esophogus was there and had stayed and gotten worse. I don’t think it’s coincidence, but now everything I eat or drink burns going down. It’s not your classic heartburn which I’ve had before.

Is there anything I can do to heal this?

Doc says no Tagament or other.

Hi Carrie,

Really sorry you’re going through this…if it was from a stuck doxy cap and your doc can confirm this possibility, then it might take a few weeks to heal and feel better …at least that was the experience of my daughter. First week was horrible and she had trouble swallowing her own saliva. Second week, she started being able to eat more in the way of soft solids, but still hurt as the food was sliding down. Third week, just minor discomfort and eating normally again.

I’m not sure if amoxy can have the same effect if stuck or not. I know tetras are notorious for this problem (usually mentioned in the pharmacy hand-out that comes with the script as a warning). As mentioned, my stomach seems to be able to tolerate high doses of all the abx I’ve taken without reflux, so I might just have been fortunate not to get any reflux or discomfort from amoxy, unlike MKay who is having trouble (sorry to hear this MKay) – we’re all so unique in this.

My daughter’s dermatologist could not prescribe anything for her after she got her stuck cap either. You could research aloe vera juice to see if you think this might help to heal/soothe your esophagus, as it’s touted as being very healing to the gut. My MIL has taken it for years for her AS and swears by it – when she visits from UK, we always have a big plastic jug of it in the fridge – but I haven’t had need to use it, so can’t say whether or not it would help in your case. Perhaps someone who has used it can share their experience?

http://www.aloeveraplant.org/aloevera-juice-benefits.php

Hope you feel better soon, Carrie. Please check in and let us know how it’s going.

Michele
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

Amoxicillin is one of my abx. In the last 4 weeks I’ve started having heartburn. It’s inconsistent. I tried aloe vera juice and also tried drinking some apple cider vinegar diluted in water. The apple cider vinegar drink calmed the burning down. But, then I had a NP appointment. I was told it could be H. Pylori rearing up after a liver flush and that it was a herx. She added more abx at a higher dosage and added prilosec to put me on an H. Pylori protocol. The Clarithromycin also covers mycoplasma pneumonia and babesia WA1 which I am also fighting. My stomach still doesn’t feel right. My next round of blood-letting includes some testing for H. Pylori. So, we’ll see.

Hope you find something to help the burn!!
    Michele

Carrie-RA
    Participant

This seems to be helping me….
    I eat a few rice crackers (no gluten), then take the pills, drink some water, eat a few more crackers, drink some water until everything is down. Feels like the crackers are coating things and pushing the pills down. Pretty much just eating several crackers three times a day now. Hope I don’t get too fat from that … LOL. (the least of my worries right now).

I’ll also try aloe vera and ACV…have both in the fridge.

Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.