Home Forums General Discussion Alternative to doxy. Which is gentler on the esophagus?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    hopefulmama
    Participant

Thought I’d add to this post to let you all know that my very experienced and dedicated AP rheumie Dr. F in Riverside took me off of doxycycline today specifically because he was horrified by the way I’ve been taking it – needing to open up the capsule and pour it over applesauce to get it down. He said doxycycline is very hard on the esophagus and that even when you take it as a capsule it can cause a lot of damage. He insisted that I take azithromycin instead, despite me telling him how much the doxy has helped my other symptoms (beyond the esophagus).

So, this may give at least one AP doctor’s perspective on which antibiotic to switch to if doxycycline is causing problems in the esophagus. (And I didn’t even tell him about my increased GERD, phlegm and globus sensation! He felt that strongly just because of how I needed to take the drug!)

Take care and thanks 🙂
    A

Hoping
    Participant

Hi Hopefulmama, so surprised to see a response after a while, and so glad to see it. Can I know why you need to open up the doxy pill and spread over apple sauce? And did Dr. F say anything about minocycline? My AP doc took me off doxy for now so I can take care of my esophagus.

hopefulmama
    Participant

Hi Hoping!

Dr. F didn’t say anything to me about pelleted minocycline, perhaps because he did not feel that my personal autoimmune problems were significant enough to merit me risking my esophagus at all. In the case of scleroderma, I would say that you might want to contact Dr. F’s office or Dr. S in Iowa? and just ask that one question. You could explain your situation.

I have to admit that the azithromycin has been a revelation as far as my esophagus is concerned. I was really having a lot of trouble with thick, stretchy phlegm welling up in my throat from my esophagus which turns out to have been a bad reflux. In the last 3 days off the doxy and on the zith, all of that problem has gone away and I am still really feeling better… in fact, one of the beauties of the zith is that it stays in your body for 5 days so it seems to work longer than the doxy was working.

That said, I can tell they affect different things and I do miss some of the benefits (especially the anti-inflammatory benefits) of the doxy.

Anyway I hope any of this can help you! I have to take my meds either through powder or liquid because I have never been able to swallow pills – but maybe ultimately I’ll have to force myself to learn how, because I get the feeling (from my body) that I should be taking both doxy and azithromycin 😉

Take care and best of luck to you!!!
    A

Hoping
    Participant

Best wishes to you, too. I hope things will turn around and you will be able to swallow pills (and everything else) again.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.