Home Forums General Discussion About to start IV clindamycin – urgent questions

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    jfr
    Participant

Thanks for that reassurance. My last IV experience was when I was doing DMPS chelation for mercury toxicity. I had done numerous DMPS treatments and suddenly started to get some swelling in my lips. After a few more times, I had a full-blown anaphylactic reaction. My face blew up to twice its size and I was unrecognizable – I looked like Cro-Magnon woman! Fortunately it did not affect my breathing, but needless to say this was tremendously scary and I stopped the treatments then and there. If I had known the the lip swelling was a precursor I could have prevented the anaphylaxis.

I did have an allergist tell me that once you've had a reaction like that, the body can tend toward going that way again. This was about 7 years ago and I've never had a problem since, but then again I haven't had any more IV treatments either… I know the agents are totally different but do worry that if my body has a lot of allergy to the toxins I may head that way again.

What do they recommend you do if you have an allergic reaction to the toxins? Have they said anything to you about that at the clinic?

kat
    Participant

Dr S told me that if I had a bad herx about all I could do was take a prednisone and tough it out. I didn't ask him about the benadryl, I take opiates and I do not think that would be a good combo.

Ros
    Participant

[user=324]jfr[/user] wrote:
    Also, did any of you restrict your diets while on IV treatment? I've heard about avoiding sugar, but would prefer to eat normally if I can. I would hate to give up my daily soy chai latte! Did you have to make dietary changes for the treatment to work right?

I know that sugar gives me flares and activates the candida straight away, but I discovered Xylitol, a sweetener that tastes just like white sugar (I prefer raw) and is supposed to be very good for candida! I can hardly believe it but all the research I've done on it says the same. I haven't noticed any bad effects from it. I don't use it except in my lattes once a day but sugar in my lattes seems to increase the candida effects (bloating, allergies) and therefore the pain.

Check it out and see what happens.

Ros

jfr
    Participant

Hi Ros,

I tried Xylitol a long time ago, and it doesn't agree with my digestive system. I can handle a small amount in sugarless gum, but even that can be problematic. it is indeed a good sugar substitute, and it's good for your teeth, too!

I use stevia in coffee and tea when I need it, but I go to Starbucks once a day and get one of their soy chai lattes, which do have sugar in them. It's kind of a ritual with me (they know me there, too) and I enjoy it. I also eat something sweet after dinner every day. I don't think I have a yeast problem right now and want to avoid one, so I'll be careful. I had bad candida a few years ago so I know what to look for.

jfr
    Participant

Just had my first IV this morning. So far I'm feeling ok. Here's my question:

The nurse told me NOT to take probiotics during the IV treatment and to wait till it's done, as it can interfere with the antibiotics. This is their first time doing this protocol at my doctor's office, so I'm not sure she's as up on things as you all are. What do you know about this?

Judy

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Judy,

I have been sending well wishes your way all day today!

This is an interesting statement by the nurse.  I sure cannot say that she is incorrect.  I do know that the antibiotics can distroy the probioitics, but I have not heard of it being the other way around.  However, just today, I came across an article by Amy Proal that may shead some light on this comment by the nurse.  Not sure that I “buy” it, but the article is clearly worth considering.

Here it is: http://bacteriality.com/2008/06/11/probiotics/

Have a good healing week!

Cheryl

Joe M
    Participant

Note to Maz:  In case you were wondering, the article Cheryl posted is the one I was referring to when I posted recently about MP people now saying probiotics can be detrimental to treatment with antibiotics.

Also Maz, probiotics labels say to take 1-2 per day, but I know many people take much more.  Is that because of the antibiotics or is there another reason to take so much?  Thanks-

Joe

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote

Also Maz, probiotics labels say to take 1-2 per day, but I know many people take much more.  Is that because of the antibiotics or is there another reason to take so much?  Thanks-Joe

Joe,

I know your question was to Maz, but I am going to chime in, as I think I have an example. 

Jess and I both see Dr. F in Riverside.  When I first saw Dr. F, he did not prescribe an antibiotic, he recommended I take one capsule of the Ultra Flora IB probiotic daily.  Jess is on AP, 100 mg Mino twice daily, everyday, he recommeded that she take six capsules per day.  My guess is that it is heavily related to the amount of antibiotics that one is taking.  There may be other reasons that I am not aware of, but for us, Dr. Franco clearly is adding significant amounts related to the antibiotics.

Cheryl

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

And my ten cents worth also………….my AP doc has me take supplements on the non-abx days only so that they dont interfere with abx. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Joe M
    Participant

Thanks Cheryl.  Michelle has been taking probiotics lately which is why I asked.  She is following the label directions and just wondered if more might be better. 

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the heads up on the article above – will have to have a read – although without seeing what it says yet, I'm pretty sure that the Marshall Protocol philosophy is that it's best to stay off all supplements so as to be sure nothing interferes with the program. 

My answer would be pretty much what Cheryl just relayed. Probiotic doses on the bottle are typically the recommended daily dose for someone not on longterm abx. My LLMD told me to pop as many as I wanted when I asked how many he thought I should pop. He told me he actually keeps a handful of the cheap chewable ones in his pocket and chews them, off and on, all day long. So….put it this way….don't think it's harmful to triple or even quadruple the daily recommended dose, especially for anyone on abx or with ongoing gut issues, but not a good idea to take too little in the same sorts of instances. 

Peace, Maz

kat
    Participant

For anyone who has ever had a C Diff infection or Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea after a round of antibiotics, you'll agree, taking the probiotics is much preferrable to getting and suffering through C Diff or AAD. There isn't any amount of research that will get me to take a chance on getting either of those again. Even with all the probiotics, I am currently fighting off a bout of AAD after my IVs. It is not fun. 🙁

I continued to take probiotics and eat yogurt throughout my IV treatment, on the recommendations of the nurses and with Dr S's OK.

jfr
    Participant

I asked the doctor directly today and he said it was ok to take probiotics, but they're unlikely to do much good while I'm doing the IVs.

BTW, I am having a good experience with my doc in San Diego administering the IVs. This is the first time they've done this protocol, and they're doing a good job. I will post about this under another heading.

Judy

jfr
    Participant

Question: My doc says to continue my Celebrex while on the IVs. I'm at a pretty minimal dose – 100mg every 36 hours or so. He says he'd rather take me off it after I'm done so as not to confuse ourselves with what may or may not be happening with the IVs. Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to be on Celebrex while on the IVs?

I guess my concern stems from the fact that I'm feeling NOTHING yet after 3 IVs. I did alter my diet (cut out sugar, bread, and eating more raw veggies) so as not to give yeast a reason to get out of control. Am I just lucky, or is it too soon to herx, or do you think the Celebrex could be masking the herx?

kat
    Participant

jfr, from what I know, taking an anti inflammatory should be no problem while taking antibiotics, oral or IV.

I did not herx at all while on the IVs except for some off and on tiredness, nothing serious. (but did have some herx prior while on oral). You might not feel anything at all while on the IVs but it does not mean it isn't working! Or you might be like me and by the end of the week you will actually be feeling much better.

I'm sure glad to hear that you are feeling confident in their abilities, that's huge. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘ About to start IV clindamycin – urgent questions’ is closed to new replies.