Home Forums General Discussion 14 yr old daughter with JRA (JIA)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    mad1max
    Participant

One thing I forgot to mention concerning my daughter’s condition. Prior to her RA diagnosis, she has presented with Raynaulds – especially during the winter when it is cold – her hands turn very red or blue and very cold. It is not so noticeable now that the weather in Tucson is 90 degrees. She had not been diagnosed with SD, I know that Raynaulds is a strong indicator of SD – so I am wondering if anyone out here has any Raynaulds without SD or any insight as to tests that can be done to positively determine SD. No doctor has brought the possibility of SD up, however from what I am reading on these posts most with SD have Raynaulds…Max

Maz
    Keymaster

@mad1max wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention concerning my daughter’s condition. Prior to her RA diagnosis, she has presented with Raynaulds – especially during the winter when it is cold – her hands turn very red or blue and very cold. It is not so noticeable now that the weather in Tucson is 90 degrees. She had not been diagnosed with SD, I know that Raynaulds is a strong indicator of SD – so I am wondering if anyone out here has any Raynaulds without SD or any insight as to tests that can be done to positively determine SD. No doctor has brought the possibility of SD up, however from what I am reading on these posts most with SD have Raynaulds…Max

Hi Max,

I have just RA and also had secondary Raynaud’s in my first year after diagnosis, but this resolved over time with abx therapy. Raynaud’s can be primary or secondary, meaning it can exist alone as a syndrome of symptoms or exist as an overlap with other inflammatory rheumatic conditions. While it is usually the first presenting symptom of scleroderma, it can present with other rheumatic conditions.

Trying to remember, was your daughter ANA-positive? The ANA test is usually run first to screen for autoimmune diseases. If positive, further testing can be run, depending upon the pattern exhibited, to screen for positive labs for specific diseases. The following Lab Tests Online link explains better than I can do:

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/tab/test

So, essentially, if the ANA returns with a speckled, nucleolar or centromere pattern, then further testing can be run to determine what type of scleroderma presentation – localized or systemic and all the variations that may occur.

Strangely, some folks will test positive for SD, but have a negative ANA, much as can happen with RA. A person may have a positive RF, but be ANA negative. Docs, in general, however, don’t like to make a scleroderma diagnosis unless both labs and symptoms are definitive and will not treat until symptoms become a problem. This is because there is nothing in conventional medicine to treat this disease, except palliatively.

There is a bit more info on the main RBF site in Appendix B of the Historical Protocol about various labs that you can read here, including the anti-SCL-70 test for SD and the anti-centromere test for CREST:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Appendix-7638

For Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD) presentations where scleroderma may also present with lupus, RA, or other rheumatic diseases, they will also test RNP antibodies, which are present 95% of the time in MCTD. You’ll find screening lab sites online, like the following:

http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/MCTD.html

In any case, Raynaud’s can be secondary to many rheumatic diseases and not exclusive to scleroderma, probably by virtue of the fact that systemic inflammation affects blood vessels, too.

Ultimately, according to Dr. Brown, all rheumatic diseases were treatable to varying degrees with AP, as he believed they all had an infectious component. 🙂 And, there are some home remedies to help manage Raynaud’s until AP kicks in…for e.g. systemic enzymes like serrapeptase (break down fibrin) and help to thin blood, Far infrared sauna, hot wax paraffin baths (as used in nail salons and can be purchased inexpensively from Walmart), warming mitts, electric heating pads/blankets, etc. In my case, I used a combination of these (still use my FIR sauna and systemic enzymes), but really only had minor Raynaud’s in a few fingers and toes occasionally.

mad1max
    Participant

Maz, as always, I can’t thank you enough for your wealth of information and knowledge. My daughter tested negative for ANA…so I am hoping this will not lead into SD – and that it is secondary to RA. Glad to hear that your Raynauds has resolved, and I feel my daughters hands are not presenting as red as they were before we started the AP (5 weeks ago). One more thing, spoke with a friend today who is an MD, who ask me about my daughtes condition and I told him we were trying the antibiotic route. He had not heard about AP before, however, he mentioned that he was having some stomach and esophagal issues and had been experiencing some migratory bone pain in his hands, fingers, elbows (he was worried that this might be the start of RA). However, on thinking back, when he took a 15 day course of Doxy to resolve the stomach issues, the bone pain quickly disappeared as well. This really got him tinking about the connection, and I gave him the RBF websight info and told him to get Shammell’s book. Best…Max

Maz
    Keymaster

@mad1max wrote:

One more thing, spoke with a friend today who is an MD, who ask me about my daughtes condition and I told him we were trying the antibiotic route. He had not heard about AP before, however, he mentioned that he was having some stomach and esophagal issues and had been experiencing some migratory bone pain in his hands, fingers, elbows (he was worried that this might be the start of RA). However, on thinking back, when he took a 15 day course of Doxy to resolve the stomach issues, the bone pain quickly disappeared as well. This really got him tinking about the connection, and I gave him the RBF websight info and told him to get Shammell’s book.

Max, the stomach and esophageal issues as related to arthritis reminded me of the Italian studies that were run on RA patients who had helicobacter pylori…the spirochetal stomach infection that can cause severe acid stomach, gastritis, reflux, stomach cancer, etc. When the RA patients in this study were given clarithromycin (brand = biaxin), a macrolide abx used to treat H Pylori, they discovered that these patients had a significant reduction in RA disease activity over the course of two years! The Italian authors of this study strongly suspect H. Pylori as a causative pathogen involved in the etiology and disease progression of RA.

Study summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12144579

Journal of Rheumatology commentary: http://www.yourhealthbase.com/database/a115b.htm

Full study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2036.2002.01284.x/full

Many bugs have been tied to RA, including but not exclusive to: various strains of mycoplasma, chlamydia pneumoniae, oral spirochetes, Lyme spirochetes, protozoan infections, e coli, staph, proteus mirabilis (causes UTIs), ureplasma, prevotella, strep…the list is pretty extensive and there is a wealth of research on these bugs and RA. When you mentioned the combination of symptoms your friend has experienced, the H Pylori study came to mind as something he may want to further look into. Here’s a couple more:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21902767

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12102474

Helicobacter pylori is a common resident in the gut and it may be made worse by NSAIDs, DMARDs and biologics that suppress the immune system. So, it’s a bit of a chicken or egg situation with all this…but, the Italian study is pretty interesting in light of the fact that the RA symptoms were reduced so significantly with abx therapy. The length of treatment also suggests that long-term therapy is required for these patients and that H Pylori is a persistent infection. Not surprising, as spirochetal infections may also become chronic with various stages (acute, disseminated and chronic persistent), just like syphilis and lyme disease. Additionally, have to wonder if the RA patients would have done even better if they’d been given a more comprehensive abx therapy, including a tetra, a macrolide and a nitroimidazole, similar to the protocols as outlined by Barry Marshall, discoverer of H. Pylori and stomach ulcers.

http://helico.com/?q=node/8

Testing for H Pylori may not be as accurate as we may think either…these spirochetes are pesky critters, very pleomorphic (shape shift) and I have read that it can be difficult in some cases to detect without stomach lining biopsy. Even then, if the pathologist is only looking for cell-walled forms, then it could be missed. Empiric therapy, as your doctor had tried with doxy, seems to be the best test. 🙂

mad1max
    Participant

Maz, definitely a lot of information to digest – is there a study you don’t know about? Wow! I will get this information to my friend, as I’m sure he will be quite interested – makes great sense…best…Max

mad1max
    Participant

Got my daughters blood work back today after 2 months on Doxy 2BID MWF. RF factor jumped to 165 from 118, anti-ccp was still greater than 500 (stops measuring at 500) and ESG went from 1 to 22. I understand that sometimes blood work gets worse before it gets better. If there is anyone out there that can talk to this it would be great to hear from you. Of course I would have liked to see blood work improving – but this could all be part of the road to recovery. Best…Max

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Max
    I dont have a son/daughter story, only my own. When I first started on mino in 2003, my bloodwork definitely herxed even after I was feeling so much better. And it did worry me, til I came to the Forum to ask questions. I can understand your concern.

ESR and C-RP not very indicative in my case, as I have Palindromic RA and, unless in a tremendous flare, they are pretty well in normal range. It was my RF that went up – by about 200 points (to around 700). However, 6 months later it dropped by about 350 points. Last RF measured, it was 180. My story is in my signature line where this is all recorded.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

mad1max
    Participant

Lynnie,

Thanks so much for the response. I read your testimonial and am so glad the see your progress. Knowing that your blood tests initially got worse before getting better gives me great reassurance for my daughter…thanks again…best…Max

mad1max
    Participant

I wanted to ask, for those of you taking Doxycycline – are you taking the generic brand – and has that been working – or are you insisting on brand names like Doryx or Vibramiacin, and if so, why? I know there has been much discussion abut using only certain manufactures of minocycline – but am wondering if the same issues apply to Doxy. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated…Max

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

when I was on doxy for a while my AP doc suggested Doxylin was the best choice – but that is made by alphapharm and I think that’s an Australian based generic manufacturer. I think there are probably better generic manufacturers in the same way as for mino. Others may have insight on this. Vibramycin is the brand (maunfactured by Pfizer) and you should be okay with this

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Max,
    @mad1max wrote:

I wanted to ask, for those of you taking Doxycycline – are you taking the generic brand – and has that been working – or are you insisting on brand names like Doryx or Vibramiacin, and if so, why?

My impression from reading this forum is that only a small minority of people take brand-name doxycycline. Personally, I’ve only taken generic doxy. Lately I’ve been asking the doctor to write the prescription for Vibra-Tabs (with substitution allowed). That way, the pharmacy will fill the prescription with doxycycline tablets. I prefer the tablets because they seem to cause less stomach upset.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

mad1max
    Participant

I wanted to ask, for those of you taking Doxycycline – are you taking the generic brand – and has that been working – or are you insisting on brand names like Doryx or Vibramiacin, and if so, why?

Thanks Phil. I know that I have seen many postings that recommend only brand-name minocycline, however, not I did not read that many concerned about about generic Doxy not being as effective as the name brands; however, one big central theme is that not everything works the same for everyone – and that pharmaceuticals affect everyone differently – what works for one may nnot work for someone else. That’s why it can be so frustrating getting the right antibiotic combination, dosage, and frequency for individual cases. But this forum sure is a great help – I can’t imagine trying to help my daughter through this challenge without the insight and support of the RBF. Best…Max

mad1max
    Participant

Just wanted to update that I did check into vibramyacin and doryx name brands with the pharmacy…my insurance treated both as Tier 3 medications which means my co-pay would be $168 per month vs the $10 for generic doxy. I would be happy to pay the difference if I knew that there would be a benefit, but even Dr S says he prescribes the generic doxy, so that is good enough for me. Dr S, also does not put much stock in blood results – instead – goes by how the individual on AP is feeling (better or worse),
    Today my daughter is not feeling well – no definite symptoms – just says she is not feeling well. Not sure if she is coming down with a cold – or if this is a herx. She doesn’t have any additional swelling – just feeling lousy. Hopefully this is just part of the process and she will start feeling well shortly. I imagine that herx’s are different for everyone – with different durations depending on the type disease and disease severity. Best…Max

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Today my daughter is not feeling well – no definite symptoms – just says she is not feeling well.

Max – that’s pretty common herx type symptom – a little flu-ey or just ‘not feeling well’

Be well! Lynnie

Maz
    Keymaster

@mad1max wrote:

I would be happy to pay the difference if I knew that there would be a benefit, but even Dr S says he prescribes the generic doxy, so that is good enough for me. Dr S, also does not put much stock in blood results – instead – goes by how the individual on AP is feeling (better or worse),

Hi Max,

My first doctor wanted me on Doryx, the brand name doxy, which comes as a pelleted tablet. The benefits of this type of pill was that it was supposed to be easier on the stomach as the pellets dissolve more slowly and lower in the gut than powdered-version capsules, but also because it was a pelleted tablet, it could be cut easily without any ill effect (i.e. some pills have enteric coating and shouldn’t be cut, which Doryx doesn’t need, because it’s pelleted).

In all honesty, I haven’t noticed much difference in Doryx or the powdered generic doxy hyclate capsules in terms of response, though I do notice more of a gnawing, hunger-like sensation with the generic after I take it on an empty stomach. To avert this, I usually eat an hour or so before I take the capsule rather than as soon as I wake up. I didn’t get this sensation on the Doryx.

There are some folks who are particularly sensitive to some of the fillers and dyes in generics, but these are the only things I can think of, off the top of my head, that may be considered. There is some info on the main site about generics and, if memory serves, in terms of bio-equivalency, the FDA allows for a +/- 20% difference in active medication ingredients in generics. So, the theory is that some folks may find they may need a slightly higher dose of the generic than they would do with the brand to have the same effect:

http://roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/120.html

This article may now be outdated as these things are constantly evolving, however, so this is something to check with your pharmacist.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.