Home Forums General Discussion what generic minocycline to take

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sandratl
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I have a question concerning generic minocycline. I’ve been on a generic minocycline that was working fine for me, but they don’t make this generic anymore. So one month ago, I started taking the 100mg Torrent capsules and since then I’ve been getting worse. So my question is: should I continue on with the 100mg Torrent capsules a couple more weeks to see if this will work for me (especially since others have tried it with such success) or is 4 weeks enough to confirm that 100mg Torrent capsules in not working for me and I should I try a different generic minocycline. If I should try a different generic at this time, could you please recommend some. I know Whaleharbor is on generic Actavis 100mg capsules and it’s working for her. I was on the generic Actavis 100mg capsules in May 2016 and I didn’t do so well on it then. But I sort of remember someone in the forum recently mentioning that they are currently taking generic Actavis and it is working for them, but had not worked for them previously in 2016. I don’t know if this is true or my memory is off. Any help on this matter will be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Sandratl – I probably can’t help much because I’m in the same boat as you, but I wanted to give you some encouragement.

I have been on Torrent for about 4 weeks and I am also getting worse, but that’s because I was on doxycycline for 6 weeks and then Par minocycline for 6 weeks prior to starting Torrent. My experience is that I will get worse for at least as long as I was off the medicine that worked for me (in my case Minocin and I was off for 12 weeks experimenting with doxy and Par). I’m not sure your situation, i.e. were you off the generic that worked for you before you atarted Torrent? I’m curious which generic it was.

Cindy

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Hi Sandratl, yes I’m on the Actavis brand and it worked right from the start for me. Prior to that I was on the Ranbaxy and I kept getting worse and worse and worse…it was like taking nothing, until I major flared and well…that’s how I ended up with the Actavis. Prior to the Actavis, I was on Teva but they had stopped making those. I understand that Zydus makes those now, but I’m afraid to switch. My understanding is that some generics work for some people and others work better for others. I reacted quickly to the TEVA as well as the Actavis….but I think I’m a “quick reactor” and I’m not sure that is the case with most people. I’m not sure how much help I’ve been to you…just trying to let you know what happened to me.

Of course, the logical answer to this is, “What does your doctor say?” A good AP doctor will have the best understanding of your particular case and can make recommendations and specify for you to only get a certain generic. I would check with them first.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Spiffy1

I did really well on Ranbaxy and exclusively asked for it. Then I could not find it so they put me on PAR which I broke out in a rash. Then they switched me to Torrent and I broke out in another rash. I was afraid I had developed an allergy to Mino but my doctor had me try compounded using only methylcellulose as a filler. Turns out that was perfect for me and have done well ever sense. I have no idea if I could have gone back to Ranbaxy because they got bought out By Sun. After studying all the inactive ingredients of these I am thankful for less fillers. I am very chemically sensitive. The bad news is that insurance does not pay for compounding so I do pay out of pocket.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Spiffy – How much do you pay out of pocket for compounded? I may go that route if Torrent doesn’t work for me.

Cindy

sandratl
    Participant

Hi Whaleharbor, could you please tell me if you take capsules or tablets of the Actavis generic brand? Also, are they 50mg or 100mg capsules/tablets? Thank you so very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Spiffy1

It is right about 200 a month for minocyclene and my LDN is 70 for a two month supply.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been on a generic minocycline that was working fine for me, but they don’t make this generic anymore.

Which generic was that?

So one month ago, I started taking the 100mg Torrent capsules and since then I’ve been getting worse.

How soon after starting on the Torrent capsules did you notice that you were getting worse?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Sandrati

I take 100mg every other day with food (most people aren’t supposed to take it with food but it’s the only way I can tolerate it). It’s a capsule. Yellow and Grey capsule. It says “DAN” and some numbers on them.

I used to take the pink and red TEVA capsules. I still think I did better on those, but I’m too scared to try to find them from Zydus and switch to them because I’m doing almost as good as I was on the TEVA capsules and I don’t want to rock the boat, if you know what I mean.

I think the main takeaway point should be that everyone is truly different. I read many posts on here of people swearing by Ranbaxy (the kind I did horrible on) and others doing poorly on Actavis (the kind I’m doing good on).

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

sandratl
    Participant

Hi Phil, The generic I was taking was the Par 50mg tablets at Walmart. I was doing well on it and then I tried to refill it at Walmart but they said they do not sell the Par generic brand anymore but another generic brand. So, I refilled the Par 50mg tablets at CVS but within a month I started getting worse. So, a family member suggested to check other Walmarts within a couple hour drive to see if they had anymore Par 50mg tablets left and so that is what I did. Immediately, within a week or two, I started feeling better again with the Walmart Par 50mg tablets. However, then I used up all the Walmart Par 50mg tablets and so started taking Torrent 100mg capsules on July 24, 2018. Almost immediately, within a week or two after switching to the Torrent 100mg capsules, I started getting worse and have been continuing to decline.

So Phil, are you taking Torrent and are they in the form of tablets or capsules and are they 50mg or 100mg? I’m not sure what to do right now. Maybe the Torrent tablets will work better for me than the capsules. Thank you for responding.

sandratl
    Participant

Hi Whaleharbor, Thank you so very much for telling me what Actavis form of the minocycline you are taking. This information is helpful to me in determining what I will do next. Thank you.

vinny
    Participant

I continue to do well on Minoz 100mg tablets that I get directly from India. I have been using them for some years now and the supply and delivery time has been dependable. The delivered price is $74.61 for 90 tablets. I have never done well on capsules regardless of the manufacturer. My theory is that the tablets metabolize more slowly like the Minocin pelletized capsules.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

So, I refilled the Par 50mg tablets at CVS but within a month I started getting worse.

Did the tablets you got from CVS look any different than the ones you got from Walmart? The reason I ask is because several times the pharmacy ordered Par tablets, but their supplier sent them tablets made by Dr. Reddy’s instead. And sometimes they would go ahead and fill my prescription with the Dr. Reddy’s tablets. Whenever that happened I told them that that was not what I’d requested, so they would re-order the Par tablets and correct the problem. Tip: To avoid wasting a trip, always call first to verify that your prescription was filled correctly.

So Phil, are you taking Torrent and are they in the form of tablets or capsules and are they 50mg or 100mg?

They are 50 mg capsules, but I doubt that it is relevant to your situation.

Maybe the Torrent tablets will work better for me than the capsules.

If you can’t get Par tablets, then I think you should try Torrent tablets.

Were the Par tablets from Walmart expensive? By the way, I doubt that Par stopped making minocycline tablets. What may have happened instead is that Walmart may not be able to (easily) get them anymore because their (possibly new) supplier doesn’t want to stock them.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

sandratl
    Participant

Hi Phil, thank you so much for responding. The more information I have helps me in deciding what to take next. I thought I got Par tablets from CVS but I can’t say for sure. So I could try CVS again and make sure they are Par tablets if they carry them. If not, I could try the Torrent tablets or Actavis capsules. The Par tablets were not that expensive with insurance (70 tablets of 50 mg was $27) if I go to the pharmacies my insurance accepts and Walmart is one of them. Thank you very much for your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.